ForumSite Announcements ► New QA UI
Try to break it. Especially if you've been hoarding old questions for the full decade this has existed and have been contending with 40-second page load times.

Please let me know (in this thread) if you find any issues.

Outstanding Issue List:

  • Mobile friendliness could be better
  • Sorting of questions
  • Number of answers shown each time you click expand should progressively increase with each click so that it's easier to browse if there are lots of answers.
  • Add page navigation to the bottom of the page
  • Clearing new notifications on a different tab/browser/device will not relay the correct count to other concurrent instances
  • Don't show the Expand button when there are no answers
  • Leaving a tab open on the Ask page will cause the stats at the bottom of the page to consider you actively asking questions
  • Deactivate a question
  
I have about 450 questions that have never been deleted and this opens instantly. The system of different pages really helps. No problems thus far for me.
  
I use primarily on mobile nowadays. The interesting thing is that the old old questions aren't loading, but the answers are.
  
Ok, found a complaint. It doesn't update until you refresh unlike the current ask page.
  
It's cool. You don't have to scroll as much, which is helpful.
  
I like that both questions and answers have linking numbers.

Answer 12061332 broke formatting, do you need the question number as well?
  
My crazy ask page still doesn't load after four cycles of chrome's "page unresponsive" error. But that's not surprising, it doesn't load on the current layout either and I don't even want to see what the world would be like if two cans ruled it.

I actually really like the new layout. Collapsable questions and pages, I'm a fan. Good work, Blake.


EDIT: for some of my questions which haves lots (hundreds) of answers it's really annoying to have to click "see older" multiple times to see all answers. Could we have an "show all" option (within each question) as well?
  
Katami said:
My crazy ask page still doesn't load after four cycles of chrome's "page unresponsive" error.
Is this on a different account? I see that you only have 12 questions and answers don't affect load time on the new version.

Katami said:
EDIT: for some of my questions which haves lots (hundreds) of answers it's really annoying to have to click "see older" multiple times to see all answers. Could we have an "show all" option (within each question) as well?

No...
One of your questions has 2604 answers which is...not normal. When people repost questions with lots of answers I'd like for the new answers to be quickly visible but the questions below it still be quickly accessible. One of my goals with the redesign is to prohibit any API call or UI refresh that will cause the browser to just stall for several seconds.

However, what I can do is make the expand size increase for each time you click "See Older" instead of just showing 8 more with each click (perhaps doubling with each click and maxing out at 200) so that you'll only have to click a few dozen times instead of 326 times since clicking 4 or 5 times is clearly someone searching their archive rather than wanting to see the next couple answers.
  
https://i.imgur.com/DwrhZpg.png

(The answers load fine, however.)
  
Well that one is new.

Hi, wildface.
  
Blake said:
Is this on a different account? I see that you only have 12 questions and answers don't affect load time on the new version.

Ah, looks like it was just me not using the right link. My bad. The ask page does load fine on both this account and all my alts. First time since tcas1 I've actually been able to load the ask page on this account, nice! 2604 + 1211, wow. I had forgotten the exact figure. I guess I can start adding to it again now. ;)

Blake said:
However, what I can do is make the expand size increase for each time you click "See Older" instead of just showing 8 more with each click (perhaps doubling with each click and maxing out at 200) so that you'll only have to click a few dozen times instead of 326 times since clicking 4 or 5 times is clearly someone searching their archive rather than wanting to see the next couple answers.

This is a nice compromise. I would appreciate this.
  
It might be nice to have the "next/previous" page navigation on the bottom of the page (below the questions), as well.
  
Wildface said:
https://i.imgur.com/DwrhZpg.png

(The answers load fine, however.)

You had a question that used the word Pokemon with an accent above the e which used a ASCII character instead of UTF-8 and the JSON encoder was all like "no" and so yeah.

Similar problem to Devery's who had a question with formatted curvy quotation mark ASCII characters, but for some reason the PHP mb_detect_encoding was able to detect that one, but not for yours.

I changed my ASCII-to-UTF8 converter I wrote to fix Devery's problem to just do a dry run of the JSON encoder rather than using mb_detect_encoding to determine if it should run. Probably not the safest solution, but mb_detect_encoding seems to be filled with lies anyway.
  
I really like the GUI the one thing is if there way a way to see if you replayed to a message.
  
the one thing is if there way a way to see if you replayed to a message.
The "Reply" button goes away and is replaced with a link to the message thread after you reply to it.
  
I have a question with 176 answers, and to see them all it's kind of annoying to have to keep clicking see older a bunch. Is there a way you can implement a "See All" button to the answers? (Alongside the See Older, of course)
Was asked already, didn't see that, oops.
  
Sorting questions by active or most recent post date would be nice.
  
Zia said:
Sorting questions by active or most recent post date would be nice.


I second this.

Number of answers would be nice, too.
  
Blake said:
The "Reply" button goes away and is replaced with a link to the message thread after you reply to it.

Holy heck, this changes everything.
  
Tried to break it by using other non-standard characters, but it didn't work. Well done.

https://imgur.com/a/objxdYX
  
nice work Blake. loaded my 27 pages of asks in about 30 seconds.
  
Sundog said:
nice work Blake. loaded my 27 pages of asks in about 30 seconds.
That's bad. It should load in about a second. Or do you mean 30 seconds to click through all of them?
  
Found another bug. Apparently if you get new answers after you've loaded the page, a new answers button shows up. If my top five answers are any indication, it seems like it repeats a few of these answers. (I had to click the button multiple times, for the record) Even the times on the answers stay the same. (There's a copied answer from 1:19 above a copied answer from 1:52.) Here's a screenshot.
  
New bug. It says I have two new answers, but

https://ibb.co/K0x0G9J
https://ibb.co/fksCFfr
https://ibb.co/2M5mtn6
https://ibb.co/FXxYP8k
https://ibb.co/PrBhCcn
https://ibb.co/LZJKkL8

(Sorry imgur doesn't work on school WiFi)
  
I love it, it doesn't take 5 minutes to load anymore, that's been killing me for years. I used to dread opening up the ask page and now it's instant like the rest of the site. That's gonna take a while to get used to. And I can even leap right to the page that has the answer that I've left unread forever so it can nag me right in the face to get around to it. Thanks, Blake! This looks great.