ForumSite Announcements ► Text colors in forum posts
I've pulled support for arbitrary hexadecimal color codes in forum posts and have updated all posts to use the closest pre-defined color.

To use color text, use
<color value="red">the text</color>
where the value is the name of the color.

The color choices are:
  • red
  • blue
  • green
  • purple
  • orange
  • yellow
  • white (white)
  • black
  • gray
  • cyan
  • pink
  • brown
  • aqua
  • lime
  • maroon
  • mauve

In the future, black and white will likely be converted to dark and light grays.

If you've been using white to create spoiler text, please use the <spoiler> tag instead.

The reason I did this is to control the readability of each of the colors and make them adapt to the day/night theme. e.g. bright yellow is totally readable in the night theme, but should instead be displayed as a golden/orange-ish yellow in the default white-background theme.

The real question is, how did you get four dots in one post?

I've disproportionately been accumulating them each time I edit posts that trigger dots as I've been removing lots of forum features. I've probably hand-edited a couple hundred posts in the past 2 days.

Downvote.

Spoiler text below. Highlight to read.
<color value="#5a8ec2">test</color>
<color value="#017cf6">what</color>
this?
  • "#5a8ec2" is not a valid color name.
  • "#017cf6" is not a valid color name.

I can see the point of adjusting named colours for the theme, but please also allow #rrggbb format. There are cases when you want specific colours.

I would also like to still have the option for RGB, but I don't feel too strongly about it.

I can think of two alternatives to just disabling fine-grained color controls that could still look good in both settings.
  • Allow color mixing, like the Tikz LaTeX library. For example, "black!1!red!4" is one part black to four parts red, for whatever the current values of black and red are.
  • Allow RGB colors, and apply some mapping when rendering them in dark mode. Things like Dark Reader already do this, so there may already be an open-source solution for it. Something as simple as converting to HSL and inverting the L channel might work.

I personally have used white for hiding text.

like this

If we can't use hex values anymore, the gui for inserting a color tag should probably reflect that.

i liked hex codes... okay...

also how use dark theme

I moved the theme swatches into the top-right drop down menu (as of Credible Cantaloupe) where your avatar/username is in.

How much was this change about preventing HTML injections?

<color value="#899f31">Hello</color>
  • "#899f31" is not a valid color name.

Blake said:
I moved the theme swatches into the top-right drop down menu (as of Credible Cantaloupe) where your avatar/username is in.

I'm confused
what are you talking about here

Yeah when's (C) dropping?

Given some of the latent bugs still in Banana (like the accidental mod-credentials one I found a few weeks ago), I'm assuming Blake is waiting until either it stops spewing smoke, or he finishes some of his other hundred projects.

shouldn't cyan be #00ffff?

the color currently cyan should be renamed to teal

Forum > Site Announcements > Text colors in forum posts