ForumSite Announcements ► Forum formatting tags
As you know, the buttons above the post box will insert formatting tags. However, there are several undocumented formatting tags and features.
  • Placing a hyphen at the beginning of a line will create a bulleted list. Like this one.
  • Placing an exclamation point at the beginning of a line will create a heading.
  • The <spoiler> tag will create a spoiler box. Like this:
Spoiler text below. Highlight to read.
Darth Vader is Luke's father

• You can quote a user by pressing the "quote" link by their post and it will start a new post with the contents of their post surrounded by <quote user="their name">...</quote>. However, you can also quote sources that aren't users by changing the user attribute to source. Like so: <quote source="wikipedia">Donuts make us fat</quote>
  • <e> tags will make a span of text emphasized. This is just a shorthand for a combination of bold and color changing. Emphasized text looks like this.
  • You can embed Youtube videos in a post by surrounding a youtube URL with <youtube> tags.
  • If you want text to preserve space formatting, use the <code> tag. Sure, it's under the "foo();" button, but it's non-obvious.
  • You can (more easily) set the color of text by using the <color> tag and set the value to any of the following predefined values: red, blue, green, purple, orange, yellow, white, black, gray, mauve. Yes, mauve. <color value="purple">Blerg</color> will look like this: Blerg
  • If, for some reason, you want a tag to appear in your post without it being interpreted (like the way they appear in this post) you can break the tag by inserting random <i></i>'s in the tag name.
    Like this: <<i></i>color value="red">Example text<<i></i>/color>
  • For code tags in languages that have syntax highlighting, you can add a classes attribute with a value of space-delimited class names that you want to be treated as classes by the syntax colorizer.
    For example:
    <code language="csharp" classes="Foo Bar">Foo foo = new Foo(3);
    foo.SetBarValue(new Bar("weeee"));</code>
    Foo foo = new Foo(3);
    foo.SetBarValue(new Bar("weeee"));

That said, DO NOT ABUSE THESE FEATURES. Most of these exist primarily for the purpose of posting articles on NP which runs off the same forum engine and occasionally requires these formatting features. Random formatting for the sake of random formatting will be removed/deleted. Please keep your posts easy to read.

Blake said:

Darth Vader is Luke's father

:O

Holy shit! This is awesome.

#include <iostream>
using std::cout;

void troll_face();

int main()
{
    troll_face();
    return 0;
}

void troll_face()
{
    cout << "Problem? :D\n";
}

Hm, the C++ syntax highlighter doesn't seem to be working. I had to use the C# highlighter instead.

I love these tips though.

C# is the only one that is currently implemented. I plan on adding Python some time in the near future since I have several Python tutorials lined up.

This doesn't seen to do much...

seem* ;)

Yeah what he said.

hello
Color tag orange comes up black. That or I'm wicked colorblind as of two minutes ago.
EDIT: If you quote me you'll see what I did.

hello
Color tag orange comes up black. That or I'm wicked colorblind as of two minutes ago.
EDIT: If you quote me you'll see what I did.

I see what happened, Blake made a typo.
This is what I see in the source:
<span style="color:#ff800;">hello</span>

It should be:
<span style="color:#ff8000;">hello</span>

with an extra '0' in the color number.

Blake? Wrong? *dies*

He wasn't wrong, he accidentally made a typo. It happens to the best of us.

Blake said:
I plan on adding Python some time in the near future

This is now done.

Yay! Python! I need to learn some.

Text hidden in spoiler tags still show up on the recent posts box on the front page.

Yup.

I'd like to request the formatting tag known as the horizontal rule. <hr>, in HTML.

hr's are frowned upon.

Though they can be useful, they are too easily abused.

Again, most of the formatting tags are present for the purpose of articles posted on other sites running on the same code instance. For the purposes of a forum, there is rarely a need for a visual indication of a sudden topic shift.

Is there anyway to put a hyphen at the beginning of a line without it becoming a bullet point?

Add a space before the hyphen.

That doesn't work.

-See?

[Edit] Hm. Nevermind. It didn't work when I tried it before.

Yeah me too, that was annoying.

• because you had it as the first line of the post. Whitespace is trimmed off the beginning and end of all posts.

The answer you seek is here:
Blake said:
If, for some reason, you want a tag to appear in your post without it being interpreted (like the way they appear in this post) you can break the tag by inserting random <i></i>'s in the tag name.
Like this: <<i></i>color value="red">Example text<<i></i>/color>

The same idea applies to all parser features.

- Like this.

Forum > Site Announcements > Forum formatting tags