ForumArcade ► TwoodleJump
They say imitation is the best form of flattery....

This is TwoodleJump. It's a knock-off version of Doodle Jump I made in about two hours to test the feasibility of my pseudo-self-inflicted one-game-a-day game jam idea before I actually got started. It seems feasible, so test success, I guess?

As of now, it has no score counter, win condition, lose condition, and it's vulnerable to being softlocked due to platforms being randomly generated and without being checked for a viable path upward. But whatever! You're here to game, not complain. And who knows? Unlike Accelerative, I might actually come back and improve this game someday.

The objective should be obvious : help Twoodle (It was either that or Canny) get to the top of the never-ending series of platforms. There is no ramp in difficulty. Maybe you're not getting this, but this is the entire game.

I am announcing my first foray into the mobile app market. Expect in-app purchases for loot boxes and cosmetic packs soon.

as of right now there's a chance it generates an impossible jump

I've gone back in and updated a few things since I had a tiny bit more time on my hands than I thought.

• Added a quick and dirty system to automatically test if a jump is impossible and insert a "temporary" fragile platform to make it possible. I have not encountered an impossible jump since this system was integrated, but if one appears, let me know. It just means the maximum distance between the platforms needs to be decreased
  • Score Counter
  • On death, auto-resets to beginning of a new level

with how sensitive it is, its kinda hard but fun

Love it! If you're doing one per day, you're probably not going to want to glance back too much, but my only requests are for a high score counter and to change the color of the super bouncy platform, which I think is a little too similar to the temporary platform color.

Done and done.

10/10 perfect game 👌

this is ridiculously fun to just play for an hour.

Gotta get an informal leaderboard going... I'll start with my modest high score of 47059.

I have no idea why, but I have more of an urge to update this than I ever did Accelerative, maybe because it's simplistic and has no expectations riding on it and also more people seem to be coming back to play it?

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding a feature to shake things up beyond the monotonous jumping. Something along the lines of gameplay changing every so often (like wind causing left/right drift, low gravity, drag, low light, etc. etc.). I'm thinking probably every 7000 or so points.

Gotta get an informal leaderboard going... I'll start with my modest high score of 47059.

31793 for me.

Kylljoy said:

if one appears, let me know. It just means the maximum distance between the platforms needs to be decreased

i found a few where it seems possible, but you just can't quite make it.

Kylljoy said:
They say imitation is the best form of flattery....

This is TwoodleJump. It's a knock-off version of Doodle Jump I made in about two hours to test the feasibility of my pseudo-self-inflicted one-game-a-day game jam idea before I actually got started. It seems feasible, so test success, I guess?

As of now, it has no score counter, win condition, lose condition, and it's vulnerable to being softlocked due to platforms being randomly generated and without being checked for a viable path upward. But whatever! You're here to game, not complain. And who knows? Unlike Accelerative, I might actually come back and improve this game someday.

The objective should be obvious : help Twoodle (It was either that or Canny) get to the top of the never-ending series of platforms. There is no ramp in difficulty. Maybe you're not getting this, but this is the entire game.

I am announcing my first foray into the mobile app market. Expect in-app purchases for loot boxes and cosmetic packs soon.

better than this Construct mess

Yeah, there is the occasional impossible jump. Just encountered my first one.

The only ones I've encountered have been ones that I've made myself by destroyable platforms

Yeah, make sure the jumps are initially impossible and not impossible because you removed platforms. As time goes on, (theoretically), more temporary platforms will be inserted and so the distance between "solid" platforms will increase.

This could be the case, but I never saw a brown platform when I got there.

Kylljoy said:
Yeah, make sure the jumps are initially impossible and not impossible because you removed platforms. As time goes on, (theoretically), more temporary platforms will be inserted and so the distance between "solid" platforms will increase.

i have made sure, it's usually between a green and a green or a green and a red.

I found a small bug. It doesnt affect anything tho.

When you are holding left and then press right, you glitch out.

When you are holding right but press left, you are fine and just switch directions

I've submitted a pull request.

a what request?

Essentially, I downloaded a copy of the TwoodleJump code, fixed the bug (just a couple lines changed), and then sent Kylljoy a request to merge my bug fix into his official version of the code.

ah

PB: 51160

Make a hard difficulty where if you tap left go you left until you hit right and vice versa, so you are always moving.

That would be so cool

Forum > Arcade > TwoodleJump