ForumSite Feature Requests ► Real-Time Chat bug thread
I know the new real-time chat looks like the back of a Highlights magazine right now, but let me know what bugs you find by replying to this thread so that there isn't a bunch of thread churn. I'll update the list in this post.

• Message receivers do not get email notifications
  • Emojis menu only has face emojis
  • Messages in other folders are not accessible
  • Modify labels button (the new term for folders) does nothing
  • The title bars for conversations are kind of weird and ugly
  • You can't see when people are typing
  • You can't see if users have seen your message
  • New message count in header doesn't update in real time.
  • URL does not auto-update based on the open conversation
  • No (clear) indication that the date has changed when scrolling through a message thread. Confusing when there are large gaps.
  • Message and user blocking.
  • Link Preview Tile literally says "Link Preview Tile" instead of generating an actual preview
  • [Mobile] Implement long-press for message details on mobile
  • [Mobile] Implement distance-drag heuristic instead of time heuristic for tap gesture on mobile
  • [Mobile] Layout for site header is completely broken
  • [Mobile] No landscape support.
  • Sound notifications

Postponed:
  • Drawing button does nothing. (This will have to wait until the image gallery is finished)

Fixed:
  • "Start new conversation" does not work
  • Site title in header doesn't link back to main page.
  • Last-online is in Unix timestamp format
  • Older messages in your inbox don't load
  • Emoji palette should stay open after choosing an emoji
  • You cannot delete messages
  • Actions menu is different between the conversation list and the conversation panel.
  • The options/action menu next to the search box has nothing in it and throws an error when you click on it.
  • You cannot un-anonymize
  • No mobile support
  • [Mobile] Allow Enter presses on mobile only and require send button to be pushed
  • [Mobile] Fix button double-invocation bug on mobile
  • [Mobile] Implement Emoji palette layout for mobile
  • [Mobile] Button hit region is bad for emoji and send buttons
  • Create actual icons for back, send, emoji, and draw icons
  • Clearing search text sometimes doesn't revert inbox back to regular mode

Okay, you've actually hit most of the points I was going to bring up, I'll just say that the logo doesn't link back to the main page. Don't know if that's supposed to happen

It is not supposed to happen. Thanks for pointing it out! Please feel free to include any bugs you find with the new header such as that in this thread as well.

"Start new conversation" after searching for a user appears to be broken. No noticeable change in either the sidebar or the messaging space

Fixed.

I suppose having separate conversation threads between the same people is meant to be ruled out by this update? (I.E. Now that you've messaged me, I'm not supposed to be able to create a new correspondence considering one already exists?)

I have some concerns to raise if that's the case. Namely, one big issue with the logistics of it that seems to leave somewhat of a gaping hole in the current system if not resolved.

In the final version where bugs are all fixed:
  • you are correct, you cannot create a simple basic un-titled conversation between two people multiple times
  • you CAN create group conversations that have a title similar to the ones that exist now from the old UI or QA conversations that have been un-anonymized. The group size can be any number, including just 2 people.

In the database, there are basically 5 conversation types:
  • PAIR: conversation between two people and are globally unique. Attempts to create another PAIR conversation will just result in the previous existing conversation
  • PARTY: private conversations created for a group of people and can have a title
  • TOPIC: public conversations based on a keyword topic (this is basically an IRC clone). These are not implemented yet.
  • TCASQA: conversations generated from the QA. Even when they are un-anonymized, they will still remain marked as QA conversations. This excludes already existing QA conversations that are un-anonymized since they were indistinguishable from direct conversations. Those conversations exist in your inbox as "PARTY" types
  • LOBBY: These are transient conversations that will be used for in-game and game-lobby multiplayer chats. These are not implemented yet and won't appear in your inbox but they'll be using the same chat infrastructure.

Any existing private 1-on-1 conversation you had with anyone up until this point has been imported as a "PARTY" type. If you try to create a PAIR conversation with that same person, it'll create a new conversation and won't mess up with that.

There will NEVER be any overlap with PAIR and QA-based conversations. (since that's probably the siren that's going off in everyone's head)

Ah, OK. I see you addressed the issue I was worried about, with the party thread creation. Nevermind then.

I take it party has not yet been implemented into the system?

Blake said:

• Messages in other folders are not accessible

Not in my case. I can see message threads from other folders, just not with any regard to which folder they're in.

What about Q&A questions that were only unanonynized one way? They stay?

No anonymousness status has changed.

Under the person's name, it says "Last online: 1579829301"
What does that mean?

What does that mean?

I think that its milliseconds, because computers record time in milliseconds. Can you please convert to days?

Also, when on the main site, my messages constantly says 1. I think it is because the link to the new chat is a notification, but it did not go away after I clicked on it.

I think that its milliseconds, because computers record time in milliseconds. Can you please convert to days?

Nah, it's Unix standard. It's seconds since the epoch (Jan. 1st 1990 1970)

One major bug I have come across is that some of my older conversations (that I have deleted) still appear in the new RTC; and when I try to delete them, they stay.

That's all the bugs I have to report for now, I'll try and send more bug reports.

Because no one likes virtual insects anyway

How do I exit a conversation and block people? Some loser added me and like 20 other people to a conversation and just keeps spamming the conversation with pointless nonsense.

It is constantly saying that I have (10) new messages when I've read every one, including the ones in my group chat. Not sure if this is directly linked to the new feature or not tho. Thanks!

vitalik1 said:
How do I exit a conversation and block people?

1. Delete it and you never have to see it again.
Blake said:
You can silently block followers so that your content will not appear in their feed, if you so choose.
If you still would like to learn how,
Go the the account
And scroll down to the bottom of the page(not the footer)
And press the block [name] text, below the feed. It’s a bit tiny.

Kiflyte said:
It is constantly saying that I have (10) new messages when I've read every one, including the ones in my group chat. Not sure if this is directly linked to the new feature or not tho. Thanks!

I *think* this is the problem of deleted threads somehow undeleting themselves. This was probably introduced a while back but didn't start showing up until I changed how the number at the top was generated. What you can do for now is go back in the old messages UI and there'll be 10 messages that are unread.

I'll send you the actual message ID#'s if you want to just type them directly into the URL bar instead of scrolling to find them.

What does that mean?
This is the unix timestamp and one of the things on the list.

One major bug I have come across is that some of my older conversations (that I have deleted) still appear in the new RTC; and when I try to delete them, they stay.

Because no one likes virtual insects anyway

Deletion isn't implemented in the new UI for now. You should still be able to delete them in the old UI.

vitalik1 said:
How do I exit a conversation and block people?

You can't! this is still broken. Deleting won't block. I can manually delete the message from the user that created it for now, but I'll add this to the list.

Last online time is now formatted and isn't just the raw unix timestamp.

It appears the date/time formatting broke the "start new conversation" ability. It appears I can only start new conversations with people who were on recently, otherwise it fails to load.

The following error appears in my javascript log each time I try to start a conversation with them.

Uncaught TypeError: TC.Common.formatDateTime is not a function
    at Object.TC.Stitch.getLastOnlineString (stitch_stitch.js:55)
    at fn (stitch_chat_conversation.js:644)
    at buildConversationTitlePair (stitch_chat_conversation.js:646)
    at buildConversationTitleBar (stitch_chat_conversation.js:724)
    at Object.TC.Chat.Conversation.buildChatWindow (stitch_chat_conversation.js:778)
    at Object.TC.Chat.Main.launchNewDmWindow (stitch_chat_main.js:98)
    at Object.performAction (stitch_chat_main.js:24)
    at HTMLDivElement.handler (stitch_chat_list.js:125)

And as for a QOL improvement, could the emoji pallet stay open after the user selects one? I just tried to use the YMCA selection, but I had to re-open it for each character I wanted. I have a feeling there are going to be people who will want to use multiple emojis at a time and would find it easier to have a persistent pallet rather than one they have to open and re-open each time they need another one.

Forum > Site Feature Requests > Real-Time Chat bug thread