ForumSite Feature Requests ► Editing bug?
When I post a post, I usually edit by going back to the previous page where I made the post the first time to do my edits. Then I click post and it makes the edit.

Well now when I click post, it duplicates that post and adds the edit. And now I get unintentional double posts.

W_Licky said:
going back to the previous page where I made the post the first time to do my edits.

Wait, wait. Are you reloading the previous page? Like, hitting the "back" button on your browser?

If so, there's your problem. That's not a bug, that's intended behavior.

lets test that okay
edit:nope

Kylljoy said:

Wait, wait. Are you reloading the previous page? Like, hitting the "back" button on your browser?

If so, there's your problem. That's not a bug, that's intended behavior.

Then why did they change? It always worked before.

W_Licky said:
Then why did they change? It always worked before.

Probably because it wasn't intended behavior, and/or your browser updated. Unintended behavior is not guaranteed to be protected in future updates. The 'edit' button is the way you are supposed to do it, any other methods are volatile and have potential to be changed, removed, or bricked going forward.

I have talked to Blake, and it seems to be an issue based on your browser's updates. He has not changed how the API works.

Hmm ok.

Here's what it seems to be:

The internal links between the "quote" functionality and the "reply" functionality seem to be different. I cannot 100% corroborate this, because I don't have access to the backend, but based on some minor tinkering (read: three posts), I think it's the cause.

"Reply" leads to a "reply" link (/forum/category/threadid/reply), which creates a new post upon submitting a POST request. "Quote" leads to a "quote" link, which seems to create a unique post id ahead of time and only edits that one post upon POST request. Thus, reloading the prior will create duplicate posts, whereas reloading the former will only create one.

I think this is what's happening, but I could def be wrong.

But pressing back doesn’t reload it?

The ID in the quote URL is just the ID of the post you're quoting, so it knows what text to pre-populate the edit box with. No ID's are pre-generated.

I have no idea how this worked for you before. The current behavior is the intended behavior.

It was supposed to duplicate with the previous text?

If you post something from the create-new-post page, yes. Edit is a different URL.

So why was it different before?

Mod deleted the duplicates maybe? This did not change.

There weren't duplicates to delete. If there was a duplicate every time for me editing that way, the mods would be deleting duplicates instantaneously as a post and every single day. I mostly edit by going back.

W_Licky said:
So why was it different before?

This is likely due to your browser and browsers are....weird.

Forum > Site Feature Requests > Editing bug?