ForumSite Feature Requests ► A functioning ping feature
Most users do a "@" despite it having no effect, however why not incorporate a version of it?

It could work by having the forum show up with an icon of some sort next to it and the forum tab having a marker of how many pings you have like how the messages tab shows if you have a message.

It could be incorporated by a tag that works similar to this
<variable>user</variable>

Amazing idea.

I like this.

This would be extremely useful. Let's hope the council of Twocans leaders says yeah.

I feel like the same thing could just be accomplished by sending the user a message with a link to the post.

thats way too many steps e-bag

I think its a good idea.

Count me in. If they reject, prepare the torches and pitchforks.

i agree. this is a worthwhile feature.

i support the idea

best idea ever

I support

I do not support. This will get out of hand very quickly. I do NOT want a Ping My Ping.

Boing. Remember how everybody in that thread was banned?

Yes. I have PTSD from the entire thing. Jaxxie's moderation on this website is both a blessing and a curse and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I feel like pings would bog down a lot of the threads and veer them away from the conversation at hand, not to mention the possibility of spam pinging; eventually, pinging will become so common, the Messages feature might as well stop existing and will probably fall out of favour; why spend time write message when @ do trick? If that's not the case, eventually people will stop caring about their unread pings regardless like I've done with my Discord, and they will stop being useful as a whole.

I kind of agree with theki, the unread thread thing already acts as a sort of ping. If you're talking on a thread, chances are you're following it and will notice when there's new messages to read.

Or like licky said, just shoot them a DM if you really want them to see it.

I think pings might work if there's spam prevention and a way to block them, but it just doesn't suit the style of a forum very well.

yours words actually make lots of sense

I put forth my vote.

A lot of those problems mentioned can be solved with proper implementation

Pruve it.

As long as you dont get ping notifs from user you have blocked and you have the option to turn off ping notifs and you have a button to clear all ping notifs, it should be fine, right?

I don't want to restate what I said less than ten posts ago, so I'll sum it up:

Pinging. Is. Redundant. In the context of this website. It is a forum, not an instant messenger.

ig

As long as you dont get ping notifs from user you have blocked and you have the option to turn off ping notifs and you have a button to clear all ping notifs, it should be fine, right?

Completely agree. I think this can be a very useful feature.

I support this idea. They should make this.

Forum > Site Feature Requests > A functioning ping feature