ForumForum Games ► The Ancient Aerial Empire - A Forum Adventure
Remember text adventures?
...No?

The rules are pretty simple:

I'll give you a situation, like, say, You see a door in front of you.
Then you suggest an action, for example, Open door, or Look at door.
Don't be shy - anyone can suggest doing anything, as many times as you want. The more suggestions, the merrier.

Then I tell you what happens:

Open door.
The door won't budge. It seems to be locked from the other side.

Look at door.
It's made of heavy, gray stone, speckled here and there with moss. It feels slightly damp. There's a grate at the top that you think you can just about look through if you hop up.

Your head throbs, and the room seems to rock slowly back and forth. You can't seem to remember how you got here.

What will you do?
  
> look through grate
  
> Inventory

> Look all around
  
>knock on door
  
Look through grate
Although your view through the grate isn't very clear, you think you can see a figure outside of your door.

Inventory
You pat your pockets and find the following items:
- Revolver (Contains: 6 Bullets)
- Journal (Contains: 1 Note)

Look all around
Your room is small, about ten feet by ten feet, with a small stool opposite the door. You think you can drag the stool around, but not lift it.

The walls are made of stone, slimy in some places with moss and lichen, and slightly damp from condensation.

You think the room is beginning to tip slightly in one direction... could it just be your imagination?

Knock on door
You knock on the door. Whoever (whatever?) is on the other side is silent for some time before speaking:

"It is appreciated if guest would wait patiently for their guardian's arrival. Guest safety is prioritized."

It speaks haltingly, as though it's unfamiliar with the language.
  
>move to side of room that feels tipped downwards
  
>Read the note
  
Drag stool to beside the door. Stand on the stool and look through the grate.
  
>wait for guardian (don't say he/she doesn't come, wait there for eternity until he/she comes)
  
Move to side of room that feels tipped downwards

You move to the side of the room and wait for a bit. Apart from the room tilting at a slightly steeper angle, nothing seems to happen.

Read the note

You open your journal and take the note out.

I am unsure of how much you will remember by the time you read this note, so I will attempt to keep this note short.

It is vitally important that you leave this room as quickly as possible. Failing to do so will almost certainly result in your death. Though I initially planned on coming back to get you it seems that I am in a fair amount of trouble and coming back to rescue you would mean both your death and mine.

Tell the guard that "Thorne" is waiting for you by the lifeboats and that he has requested that you escort him there. Do not attempt to make your way there alone. In the event that your guard is incapacitated, a map is on the other side of this note.

Again, leaving this room for the lifeboats is of vital importance. Please do so as quickly as possible. Me and my allies will attempt to keep the way clear for you for as long as we can, but how long that will be nobody can say.

Best of luck, your friend,
Reg. Thorne


Turning the note over reveals a hastily sketched map, apparently directing you towards the lifeboats.

Drag stool to beside the door. Stand on the stool and look through the grate.

You drag the stone stool up to the door. Standing on the stool lets you get a much better view of the hall outside your room.

Your guard stands outside of your room, clad in ornate armor... apparently made of stone? The hallway outside of your room stretches to the left and right, packed with little cells like yours. Most of the rooms seem to be empty.

Wait for guardian

Acting against direct instructions, you decide to sit down and wait until someone decides to get you.

For a while, you can hear some sort of commotion in the background - shouting voices, gunfire, rolling explosions that make the room shake. Eventually, eerie silence. Dust starts to rain from the ceiling. Eventually, the floor goes vertical and you're left sitting on the wall shortly before a terrible impact collapses your room and crushes you under thousands of tons of debris.

You have died!

Continue? Y/N

Y

You snap back to being in the room shortly after having read the note. Was that really just a daydream...? It felt so real...?
  
> Try to die. Again. Look at map.
  
> Tell the guard that "Thorne" is waiting for you by the lifeboats and that he has requested that you escort him there.
  
>ask the guard when the guardian is expected
  
Look at map.

It's difficult to make heads or tails of it - a hastily drawn path through a twisty net of passages. You think you could navigate through this place to the lifeboats so long as you follow the drawn path closely. Much beyond and all bets are off.

Tell the guard that "Thorne" is waiting for you by the lifeboats and that he has requested that you escort him there.

You tell the guard that "Thorne" is waiting for you by the lifeboats and that he has requested that you escort him there.
Not in so many words, but that's the gist of it. If that's Thorne's idea of a "short note" you can only wonder how many dozen pages a long note would have been.

After a period of silence, you almost speak up again when he rips the stone door clean out of the wall and tosses it aside.

"You will follow me. Master Thorne and the rest are waiting."

You finally get a good look at your guard. Covered from head to toe in ornately carved stone armor, coated with faded red and blue paint and patches of lichen, with two blue, glowing spots visible in darkness through a slot on its helmet, it is clearly very old - and very not human.

"Stay close behind. Resistance is expected."

Ask the guard when the guardian is expected

"Master Thorne was expected ten minutes ago. Previous orders were wait for his arrival and repel intruders. Current orders are find Master Thorne at lifeboats. We begin now."

Your guard lumbers off to the north with surprising speed, turning right from your room down the hallway.

The hallway stretches north and south. Someone is crumpled on the ground in front of your cell here.
  
>Take a quick gander at the crumpled figure.
  
> Then quickly go North, keeping close to the guard.
  
>Ask if there's anything to eat
  
>Tell the guard that Torne said to tell him to do a funny dance.
  
>Ask the guard who they are
  
>Take the figure hostage and begin negotiations with the guard Tell the guard that Thorne needs you very urgently and that their suit of armour would help tremendously
  
Take a quick gander at the crumpled figure.

A quick inspection reveals whoever this was had been bludgeoned in the chest with great force. Perhaps they were the jailer? They seem to have died fairly recently. They have:

- 1 Old Dagger
- 1 Keyring
- 1 Old Sword

You decide to take all of them with you.

Then quickly go North, keeping close to the guard.

You head north and meet up with your guard, who's been waiting for you.

Ask if there's anything to eat

"It is regrettable that no food is available for guest at this time. "

Tell the guard that Thorne said to tell him to do a funny dance.

The guard turns to look at you. Its blue eyes (?) glow a little brighter than normal. "This seems to be uncharacteristic behavior for both guest and Master Thorne. Priority is guest's safety. Dancing may compromise guest's safety."

After appearing to mull it over for a bit, the guard says "Conversation regarding dancing will be had with Master Thorne once guest is escorted. If Master Thorne is approving of dancing under these conditions, there will be dancing for guest if guest so desires."

Ask the guard who they are

"I serve Master Thorne until it is determined my service is no longer required. Service is my purpose."
After that, the guard is silent on the matter.

Tell the guard that Thorne needs you very urgently and that their suit of armour would help tremendously

"It is again regrettable that I am unable to fulfill guest's request. Armor is integral to the carrying out of duties. If armor could be removed and fulfillment of duty was possible, armor would be removed for guest."
Though its tone of speech is as flat as always, you can almost hear regret in your guard's voice.
________________________________________

You and your guard reach the end of the hall, where you turn to the east just as you begin to hear shouts of alarm in the distance.

"It would do well for guest to prepare for battle, if possible. Resistance is ahead."
  
>Draw sword
  
>inspect keyring & dagger
  
> Ask guard who I am
  
>Take a defensive stance
  
Forum > Forum Games > The Ancient Aerial Empire - A Forum Adventure