ForumForum Games ► Sportsball (An RPG Adventure!)
I'm mal'ash, a half dark orc paladin who seeks to bring death to his enemies, and glory to his god, khorne.

Ummm..... Wyyca? Do you want to introduce your character to the group (character, background, etc.?)

And I suggest that you guys follow the thread (if you aren't already) so things can go a little quicker without constant prodding.

I’m Wyyca, a human that happens to be pretty good with a crossbow, and shopping.
I’m a marksman.
...i don’t need to introduce myself further, right?

Oh, so you must be marksman?

Yep.

Wyyca21 said:
...i don’t need to introduce myself further, right?

Nope, that's sufficient. Just wanted everyone to know each other's class and possibly any backstory you wanted shared.

With all of the introductions out of the way, let's get started, shall we?

Our story begins on the outskirts of Aerowyn, a smaller village of what was formerly the Perline Empire. The town had been a major hub of trade during its prime time, before the empire's untimely collapse and dissolution following their defeat at the hands of rebels who opposed their relentless expansion and hostile takeover of neighboring lands. Following their defeat, all of the provinces were divided up and freed from Perline rule, with the exception of the capital city of Fultiine, which inexplicably vanished.

The three of you find yourselves all drawn to a particular tavern within the town, having followed a flyer advertising multiple things: adventure, combat, riches, stories, knowledge, and more. It directed you to this particular tavern, where not much is of note. Farmers, Mercenaries-for-hire, and wandering merchants sit within, drinking and sharing tales of the bygone days when the empire was at its height and money was easy to come by. A single lone barkeep "cleans" the bartop with a dirty rag monotonously, easily making it less clean rather than more.

After all arriving at roughly the same time, you exchange pleasantries before realizing you're all here for the same thing, and sit down together, drinking and chatting while waiting for some form of announcement from the bartender or for someone to say something about what you've come to do. However, the tavern remains mostly uneventful, and after waiting for the greater part of an hour, perhaps it's time to take some initiative and ask around about the mysterious employer offering mysterious rewards?

Sorry about the massive block of post. Some important lore there, but really just me wanting to do a bit of storytelling. Anyways, it's now really off to you guys to carry the story, all I can do is some gentle prodding in the right direction. How do you proceed?

Mal'ash takes a quick scan around the room again, before getting up to go talk to the barkeep.

Fendrel remains seated at his table, maybe occupied with eavesdropping passing conversations for anything worth remembering.

Wyyca’s checking her inventory for literally anything of use...while also checking others’, though not daring to touch anyone’s.

For the time being, I'll be performing rolls for convenience, but if you guys want to roll your own rolls (either because you don't trust me or you think you get the hang of it), let me know

Mal'ash takes a quick scan around the room again, before getting up to go talk to the barkeep.

Search : 1d20 (17) + Modifier (-1) = 16

You notice a single man sitting in a corner who looks different from the surrounding hubbub, nursing a mixed drink and in lightweight and ornate clothing. Draped across his shoulders is a strap connected to a satchel seeming to carry considerable weight.

Nothing else in the room (besides a pair of swords crossed as decor above the fireplace at the other end of the room) catches your notice. You get up and approach to the bartender, who takes notice and stops spreading dirt across the bar. He looks up at you and ask "Wadda yu want?"

Fendrel remains seated at his table, maybe occupied with eavesdropping passing conversations for anything worth remembering.

Investigate : 1d20 (20) + Modifier (2) = 22

Your keen half-elf ears manage to pick up a conversation next to you, mentioning that "...he's looking for trouble. Asking for strangers to help him look for the forbidden city? This'll only end badly" before it delves back into the current prices of plows in today's economy. You also catch what you think is a name being thrown about the room "Ridlean Yesheo, Adventurer and Explorer Extraordinaire"

Wyyca21 said:
Wyyca’s checking her inventory for literally anything of use...while also checking others’, though not daring to touch anyone’s.

Your inventory is remarkably similar to others - 50 gold pieces, a waterskin with one day's water supply, and a day's worth rations of bread.

The only differences are that you have a crossbow, whereas Fendril has a crossbow and a couple of magic books, and Mal'ash has a broadsword, a simple armour set of chainmail, and some magic books as well.

Mal'ash asks about the poster thing. "Do you know what that thing is talking about?"

The barkeep shrugs. "I ain't got no idea what yer talkin' 'bout, but I suppose if yer supposed to be meetin' somebody you ask around and see if you can find 'em"

Wyyca goes up to a collection of merchants, making sure all her items are where they should be.
“Hi, what do you all have?”

Two of the merchants mumble something about being off work, but one of them looks at you and smiles a crooked grin.

"Hi, my name is Chet Betchley, and boy do I have a product for you. 100% bona-fide miracle water, blessed by the Archdruids of Hi'kay and enchanted by the Head Mage of the Silent Order. Guaranteed to fulfill a wide variety of purposes, such as combating hair loss, healing wounds, and enhancing magic. I call it 'gypsy water', or 'the gyp' for short, and I can sell you a bottle for How much ya got there? only 50gp!"

The other merchants exchange knowing glances before returning to their in-depth conversation of if they would rather fight 20 wolf-sized gnomes, or 20 gnome-sized wolves.

“...Anything else? For less than 41 GP?”

Fendrel decides to leave his seat and pay a brief visit to the bar.
One, to return his glass.
Two, to try and find anybody who's worth mentioning the name "Yesheo" to.

Wyyca21 said:
“...Anything else? For less than 41 GP?”

Chet scratches his head before saying "Fine. For you, I'll cut the price to 20gp. Think about it : You can get gypped for only 20gp!

I could also sell you some ale or food, I suppose..."

Fendrel decides to leave his seat and pay a brief visit to the bar.
One, to return his glass.
Two, to try and find anybody who's worth mentioning the name "Yesheo" to.

You hand the glass to the barkeep, which he takes and immediately begins "cleaning" with his grimy rag. Seriously, you all probably should get checked for worms having eaten out of this establishment.

Luck : 1d20 (8)

You are unable to stumble across anybody who seems like they would know who Yesheo is. However, you may be able to find him (or her) by taking some initiative and actually asking around

“What foods do you have?”

Fendrel decides to strike up a chat with some folks sitting across from the bar. They seem friendly enough.
"Say, how do travelers and adventurers fare in this part of town?"

Wyyca21 said:
“What foods do you have?”

Chet replies, "I've got steak, loaves of bread, vegetables, and some fish. I can give you the steak for 30gp, the bread for 10gp, vegetables for 15gp, and the fish for 20gp."

Again, the merchants exchange looks before delving back into their conversation. They've decided that gnome-sized wolves are better, but now they're discussing what kind of gnome.

Fendrel decides to strike up a chat with some folks sitting across from the bar. They seem friendly enough.
"Say, how do travelers and adventurers fare in this part of town?"

Speech : 1d20 (3) + Modifer (2) = 5

They generally seem to be want to left alone, however one of them looks up and gruffly says "It depends. Travelers do decent if they've got stuff to sell and it's cheap enough, provided people in these parts can afford it, given the terrible economy. As for adventurers, I can't say, though there's been talk of a suicide mission to the forbidden city if you want to try that." He then turns back to the group and solemnly sips his ale.

At the same time, the man in the ornate clothing at the far end of the room stands up and walks to the barkeep, asking for another refill. He sets down 5gp on the counter and gets another glass of hard cider, before walking back and sitting down, seemingly upset. He drops the satchel to the ground and cradles his head in his hands. The other patrons of the tavern eye him wearily; he seemingly has more money than all of them combined, yet he seemed upset. For a town that had the concept that "money = prosperity", they seem to have trouble grasping his woes.

Fendrel, following the crowd's fleeting glances towards this ornate man, decides to pester another individual seated nearby.
"Who is he?"

“Hm...bread and veggies. That should be 25gp, right?
Would you mind lowering the Gyp price to 15 instead of 20?”

Fendrel, following the crowd's fleeting glances towards this ornate man, decides to pester another individual seated nearby.
"Who is he?"

Speech : 1d20 (7) + Modifier (2) = 8

The man looks back at you. "I dunno. Some form of wealthy aristocrat or someone who thinks he can reclaim the forbidden city. Said his name was 'Riddler Yoshi' or something like that. But what am I? Some sort of encyclopedia? Go ask him yourself."

Wyyca21 said:
“Hm...bread and veggies. That should be 25gp, right?
Would you mind lowering the Gyp price to 15 instead of 20?”

Speech : 1d20 (10) + Modifier (1) = 11

Chet groans. "Fine. You drive a hard bargain. I can give you one gyp for 15gp. But instead, may I offer a different deal of 2 for 25gp? It's twice the bargain at half the price. I think. I can't do math"

He begins to count on his fingers, before realizing he doesn't have 25 of them, let alone 15.

“One Gyp for 15, plus 10 from bread and 15 from veggies. 40 gp in total.
Your math was a little off, strictly speaking. Double the price would be 30, but at least you had a minor discount to go with it.

Using the ‘double the value at half the price’ thing literally, that would be either 15 or 8, rounded up.”

"Sold! All sales final." Chet replies, handing you the items in exchange for the gold.

+ 10 Vegetables (1/5 Ration Each)
+10 Slices Bread (1/5 Ration Each)
+1 Gyp Water

-40gp

It isn't until later you notice a glance on one of the merchants' faces. Following his gaze, you notice a menu on the far wall, listing the meals for sale in the bar.

Steak : 20gp
Bread : 5gp
Vegetables : 10gp
Fish : 15gp
Water : Free!

It becomes apparent that maybe Chet managed to get his supplies from somewhere nearby. But whatever, at least you got your gyp!

He manages to slip in one last word before using his ill-gotten gains to buy himself another ale. "And actually, I was correct. Double the value implies that it has twice the monetary amount, which is true in this scenario, as there would have been two gyps. And 25gp is half of the original 50gp pricetag. So it was double the value at half the price."

Forum > Forum Games > Sportsball (An RPG Adventure!)