ForumForum Games ► Dungeons & Dragons: A Two Cans & String Adventure
(During your turn, you may take both a move action and a standard action. So, yes: you may move and attack once in the same round.)

(And if I use my short sword, can I attack diagonal or only the spaces I’m touching?)

(You may attack a target that is on a square diagonal to you. Your short sword has a melee range of 5 feet [1 square], so you may attack any enemy that is in a square adjacent to yours [read: any square sharing an edge or corner to yours].)

Ok great.

I move forward one space and attack Humanoid 1 with my shortsword

(Belamros is in between you and your target. If you want to attack humanoid 1, you would have to move past Narcodor and stand over the unconscious humanoid 2.)

Whups I misread the map I meant humanoid 2

Alright.

Due to your target being unconscious, you get a +4 bonus on your attack roll; further, if you hit, you may add your Sneak Attack bonus to the damage roll.

19+1+4 = 24 to attack

You rolled a natural 19! Roll again with the same bonuses to confirm a critical hit.

If you beat your target's AC on the confirm roll, you land a critical hit and deal bonus damage with your weapon; each weapon in the game has a range with which it can threaten a critical hit. Most weapons only threaten on a natural 20, but some can on a 19 or 20, and a few can on an 18 or higher.

Along with the listed threat range, each weapon also has a critical multiplier: Most weapons have a critical multiplier of x2, but some have x3, and a handful have a x4. When a critical hit is confirmed, you roll the weapon's damage the listed amount of times. Modifiers to the damage roll from STR are also multiplied. However, bonus damage dice (such as from magic weapons or Sneak Attack) are not.

So, for example: your short sword has a threat range of 19-20 and a critical multiplier of x2. On a confirmed hit, roll damage for your short sword twice, then add your Sneak Attack.

8+1+4 =13 to confirm crit

(crap)

...That's a hit.

Roll for critical damage, and add your Sneak Attack bonus.

8+5= 13

The rogue's short sword flashes in the lantern light, piercing through the bandit's armor like paper. The bandit convulses for a moment, but then lies completely still as the blade is withdrawn from his vital cavity.
Humanoid 2 is dead.

The remaining bandit doesn't stand down after seeing his ally run through; he stands his ground, determined to see the paladin fall. (Attack roll to hit: 22, a critical threat!) Belamros has no time to act as his attacker thrusts forward; his aim is true, but the paladin's armor absorbs much of the blow. (Roll to confirm: 12; the attack deals normal damage.) Belamros takes 7 points of damage.

#########_|_|#########
#_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|#
#_|_|_|w|w|w|_|_|_|_|#
#_|_|w|w|w|w|w|_|_|_|#
#_|_|w|w|w|w|w|w|_|_|#
#_|_|_|w|w|w|w|w|_|_|#
#_|_|_|•|w|w|_|_|_|_|#
#_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|#
#_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|#
#_|_|_|_|1|_|_|_|_|_|#
#_|_|_|_|B|2|_|_|_|_|#
#########A|N|#########