ForumGeneral Discussion ► Coffee and Caffeine
How do you like your coffee? And your caffeine, how much do you like and how do you like it in general? Be careful on that caffeine, man. That stuff causes heartexplosionosis.

Coffee should only be made by boiling coffee grounds in a pot on the stove for at least five minutes until the water becomes black and has oily stuff on the top. Two tablespoons to one cup of water.
Otherwise, if not coffee, caffeine should only be consumed in the forum of NOS energy drinks or un-carbonated Monster (you can chug easier it that way).
Also, energy drinks would all taste so much better if there was absolutely no sugar or sweeteners and it just tasted like caffeine water + “natural”&artificial flavors.

Facts, not opinions.

I dunno I had caffeine pills once while backpacking at it was pretty great.

For caffeine, I typically drink soda instead of coffee, in part because it's more fitting for my age.

For caffeine, I typically drink soda instead of coffee, in part because it's more fitting for my age.
How old are you?
Coldfrost said:
I dunno I had caffeine pills once while backpacking at it was pretty great.
Also, yes, caffeine pills are awesome. Especially when they make low dose ones so you don’t have to take 200mg. I’d get them more if low dose ones weren’t hard to find.

Tip: avoid taking a lot of caffeine everyday, then one day take a lot. You will feel ~amazing~ until you feel like ☠️Hell☠️.

90% of the time I drink instant because it's fast and I'm not about to go frothing milk first thing in the morning. At cafes I'll get a cappuccino because I'm from Melbourne and embrace that stereotype/culture

Instant coffee is also really good.

I drink a mix of tea crystals and lemonade powder, which means I've got Instant Arnold Palmers for the morning. They taste a little weird, but I find the mix of caffeine, sugar, and citric acid helps wake me up more than straight tea or coffee, plus it's easy to pour in a bottle of water as I walk out the door.

I like my coffee black and full of ice, or out of one of those starbucks mocha glass bottles. In either case I chug it very quickly.

I personally don't like coffee, it's just not my thing. I tend to drink Diet Coke for my pick-me-ups but as of recent the only soda I could get ahold of wasn't diet, and it kinda made me feel like I was drinking liquid diabetes.

personally i like soda and coffee, as long as you put a lot of milk and sugar in the coffee. the only one i really hate is tea

Since like the 5th grade I've been having 1 cup of coffee every day. It's always been a part of my routine, until probably about a year ago, caffeine started giving me super gnarly anxiety, so I had to cut it out of my diet entirely.
I miss coffee so much you guys.
And I refuse to drink decaf, or as I like to call it, diet piss.

I started drinking coffee at like 19 and haven't looked back.

InsiDoubt said:
Since like the 5th grade I've been having 1 cup of coffee every day. It's always been a part of my routine, until probably about a year ago, caffeine started giving me super gnarly anxiety, so I had to cut it out of my diet entirely.
I miss coffee so much you guys.
And I refuse to drink decaf, or as I like to call it, diet piss.
Try drinking boiled roasted chicory. It's nice and relaxing. People in Louisiana use it as a coffee substitute a lot. Not a substitute for caffeine, but you get my drift.

Personally, I can't stand chicory.

(not one of mine, btw)

Liv said:
90% of the time I drink instant because it's fast and I'm not about to go frothing milk first thing in the morning. At cafes I'll get a cappuccino because I'm from Melbourne and embrace that stereotype/culture
I had a cappuccino for the first time today. It was interesting. Not sure how to describe it. Definitely good.

Cappuccinos and lattes are pretty pleasant drinks, with the milk and the microfoam designs.
That's how I usually handle my coffees; heavy on the milk with a mild sweetener on occasion.

As for my caffiene intake, I'm more of a black tea person myself.

Reading this thread is funny. Cappuccinos and lattes are pretty much the standard drink when you go to a cafe here. From what I can tell from movies and books is that Americans literally just order 'coffee' with 'room for milk' and it's filter coffee? I think? And you add your own milk possibly? And then there's the weird Starbucks drinks but they don't count because everyone knows you don't go to Starbucks if you actually want passable coffee.

Usually American cafes have a cheap option that is filter coffee, typically $2-$3. Usually there is a little bar near the counter to add milk or cream and sugar if you want to. But all of our cafes also have Americanos, cold brew, lattes, and cappuccinos. Cappuccinos are my favorites - I love the foam. Usually what you get depends on whether you're just there for a caffeine fix (since drip coffee is best for that) or if you want something you can't get at home like a latte. My absolute favorite is a cubano, but it's hit or miss whether they're on menus here.

Most cafes also have relatively good or fancier drip coffee, and may have some other option like a chemex brew rather than a generic filter brew.

Liv said:
Reading this thread is funny. Cappuccinos and lattes are pretty much the standard drink when you go to a cafe here. From what I can tell from movies and books is that Americans literally just order 'coffee' with 'room for milk' and it's filter coffee? I think? And you add your own milk possibly? And then there's the weird Starbucks drinks but they don't count because everyone knows you don't go to Starbucks if you actually want passable coffee.
Pretty much. If we’re not ordering filter coffee with room for milk then we’re ordering a melted candy bar in a cup or a frozen candy bar in a cup that’s gone through a blender with milk in it. At coffee shops, I always get just plain black filter coffee, nothing added. I got a cappuccino the other day because you mentioned it and I’ve only ever seen them (or taken notice, I guess) of them at coffee shops a handful of times.

Best black coffee comes from gas stations and costs less than a dollar. If you’re not boiling coffee grounds, that is. I might start getting nothing but instant coffee.

Cooking tip: add a bit of instant coffee to chocolate things (hot chocolate, chocolate mousse/pudding, brownies, etc)! It will just enhance the chocolate flavor, it won't make it taste like coffee.
Unless you've added way too much. Then it will taste like coffee.

My little sister did that once. I asked her “why are these brownies so much better than others I’ve had?” She grins and tells me “don’t eat too many since it’s nighttime because...” then slaps a jar on the counter and goes “instant coffee!” Blew my mind.

My normal caffeine source is tea of various varieties, brewed Chinese style1 at my desk while I work. For the weekends I'll cold-brew2 coffee.

1. Lots of tea, a little water, short steep (like, water in and immediately out again), repeat many times.
2. 1/2 cup coffee grounds in a 2-cup jar for a full day. Filter and prepare to preference - hot, cold, flavored, whatever. I usually drink it plain and cold.

I just have a Chemex and a Cezve.

We have a Hulk.

Forum > General Discussion > Coffee and Caffeine