ForumGeneral Discussion ► So how about that COVID-19?
Let's start this thread over since the original thread took a very specific turn starting from page 2.

I'll start:

Today I fell back to my farming video game instincts and grew a green onion in a glass of water!

[image removed]

Farming is real!

Appreciated.

I've started to feel the claustrophobia setting in. God, I miss having a yard. It would be amazing to just go and casually sit outside. Or even be able to just open a window without having to worry about the cats jumping out.

Apparently NYC is starting to limit people driving in from other states. Workers from Jersey have been turned back at the border when they were checked due to their license plates.

I fortunately am not under legally-mandated quarantine yet. Yesterday I went bike riding with some friends (we were much more than six feet apart though because half of us ran out of breath after going about 30 feet), which was nice. It was around 60°F.

I'm not under full quarantine due to my job but I wish I was at this point. It's been wearing away at my ability to simply keep up with the workload. I've started making more mistakes and missing more details.

My daily schedule has been pretty much my dream schedule:
1. Wake up at 11:00 (AM)
2. Cook up an omelette or some form of time-consuming breakfast I wouldn't normally be able to make in the morning (I am a master at all things eggy)
3. Attend school virtually, grind and do about a week's worth of school in about 3 hours (per class, divide this among the seven days of the week, one for each period, for about 3 hours of school per day)
4. Spend the rest of my time programming, catching up on shows, watching TV, playing video games, or enjoying a walk on the (for once) quiet streets.
5. Go to sleep around 11:00 (PM)

Managed to get about 3 or 4 programming projects done by now, and I'm finally getting to work on screwing around with Crayon

Kylljoy said:
1. Wake up at 11:00 (AM)
5. Go to sleep around 11:00 (PM)
...how does one sleep 12 hours a day, pretty much every day?

As for how COVID’s going for me: it’s summer break but with school, in a nutshell.
I do have a friend who’s at high risk of dying if she gets infected, which, fun. Also her relative is also at high risk of dying if they get infected.

Wyyca21 said:
...how does one sleep 12 hours a day, pretty much every day?

It's called having a cat and a small bed. I lose about 2 hours a night normally.

Kylljoy said:
Crayon

YAY!

Since I’m only fourteen, I got rhythm heaven Megamix and have been trying out streaming on twitch. The loneliness is setting in more and more each day.

Blake said:
YAY!

Maybe hold off on that celebration, though. One of the projects has a high likelyhood of never being finished (if I include everything I want to) and the other is probably the incarnation of being a very, very bad idea (simple 3D rendering with CPU)

Kylljoy said:
the other is probably the incarnation of being a very, very bad idea (simple 3D rendering with CPU)

I actually went down this dark rabbit hole once for the lulz.

https://github.com/blakeohare/geogearshift

It's doable! And the math is really fun.

I should probably update this to compile under the latest version and also use the TwoCans SDK.

---------

In week 2 of quarantine news, today I started a fire in my fireplace and ripped tiny pieces of cardboard off a box and threw them in one by one while pretending I was feeding bread to ducks in the park.

Blake said:
I actually went down this dark rabbit hole once for the lulz.

If we really want to talk coincidence, I actually tried this once before, back in my Freshman year. I originally tried it with raytracing (a stupid idea with CPU, I know that now), with no idea how 3D math worked, so I searched the web for tutorials on the math for "line intersecting plane", which brought me to Nerd Paradise, which, in turn, brought me here.

So in a way, this is kind of bringing it full circle. A 3D Rendering project is what brought me here in the first place, and now I'm finally trying it again.

I probably won't qualify for any kind of relief payments even though I won't be getting any work. Cool cool cool cool.

Not even jobseeker?

Turns out I can get job seeker but I wasn't sure I would because I'm still employed but haven't been employed long enough for job keeper.

Anyone else’s perception of time getting fucked up? Five minutes just felt like 20 and I thought today was Sunday all day.

I am not entirely certain that time exists any longer. How can time exist if the Outsides don't exist, huh? Riddle me that.

As someone who regularly does this for at least 1/4 of the year, every year thus far;
Yep, time exists. The Outsides probably exist, though they seem to mostly be rendered as pictures right now. Rather stale lately...at least according to others. I never pay attention.
Weird how time flies by so fast and slow at the same time, hm?

Nah, I think you're wrong, man. Here's my evidence for why time doesn't exist. I looked at a clock what I think may have been about 30 minutes ago and it said 4:27. Well I just looked at a clock again and it says...... 4:27. Where's the time, man? I don't see it.

"Weird how time flies by so fast and slow at the same time, hm?"
Yeah, it's so weird. I mean I've experienced time dilation more times than I can count, but damn. Not as a sober adult have I experienced time dilation like this.

It's just been announced by the governor that Washington schools are going to remain closed for the rest of the year.

It feels a little surreal at the moment.

Wyyca21 said:
As someone who regularly does this for at least 1/4 of the year, every year thus far;
Yep, time exists. The Outsides probably exist, though they seem to mostly be rendered as pictures right now. Rather stale lately...at least according to others. I never pay attention.
Weird how time flies by so fast and slow at the same time, hm?

Out of curiosity, why do you do this a quarter of each year? I can't think of many scenarios that would require you to stay indoors all the time and avoid even the store.

Summer break plus a little extra from other breaks.
I don’t have to go to the store yet, and I’m perfectly happy to stay inside 24/7.
Only bad part about this is e-learning.

I mean this in the kindest way possible, but being a homebody over summer break is very, very different from what most people are going through right now.

To put things in perspective: I am currently in a 300sq ft studio apartment. Other than grocery shopping once, I have had no in person interaction in the past three weeks. I can't even go for walks because people here don't appropriately social distance. My company already started layoffs and did a 20% pay cut across the board. I am terrified I will lose my income. I don't even have a real desk area at home to work from. I would kill just to sit in a different room for a few hours.

And I'm one of the *lucky ones* in NYC right now. Even outside of NYC, the stresses are still there even if lessened. The worries about going to the store are still there. The worries about jobs are still there. The constant exposure to family or roommates when it typically would only be intermittent is still there.

Being at home because you want to be is different from being at home because you don't have a job anymore or because you literally can't leave your apartment.

I realize that. I know I’m in a very privileged situation right now.
But, to me, it’s not that different. I don’t have to worry about income because the job is considered essential and supports work-from-home. I don’t have to worry about shopping because that isn’t my responsibility yet. I’m not constantly being reminded of the fact I can’t go anywhere, and my family is actually quite nice with space-keeping, thankfully.
And while COVID is still a huge deal, I’m trying to go as far away from that as possible so I don’t have a permanent freak out session over it.

Forum > General Discussion > So how about that COVID-19?