ForumGeneral Discussion ► So how about that COVID-19?
I've met vegans who do crossfit and use opera as a browser less desperate for attention than online introverts. And I can't think of a less appropriate or interesting news article than one titled "Joe Bloggs - 30 says Coronavirus lockdown just fine."

Maybe we should ask people on House Arrest whether they think the lockdown is fine?

Edit: Auckland also currently has a water shortage, maybe we should have a thinkpiece from a bloke in Wellington holding a glass of tapwater talking about how his showers are normal?

So when an extrovert goes on about how they're so bored and struggling, they're not desperate for attention, but if an introvert replies, they're desperate for attention. Got it.

Auckland's local news should focus on Auckland's issues and perspectives. New Zealand news should focus on the whole country's issues and perspectives.

What your analogy has done is suggested that news narratives should always focus on extroverts. Even though extroverts totally aren't desperate for attention.

No, that human interest stories about struggle should probably focus on the struggling.

Millpond said:
It's not like we're not allowed out at all, we're allowed out for a local walk/bike. We also don't have to do the same thing just because we're indoors, I mean "stuff you can do indoors" encompasses a lot. As for new books, new physical books might a problem if there's absolutely no postal service, I'm not clear on that. I got a bunch of library books out before the lockdown. But ebooks and audiobooks and radio readings are all still online.

I mentioned this earlier, but I literally cannot go out for a walk/bike because of how much people here suck at social distancing. Unless I'd like to get stuck and have to walk in between largish groups on the sidewalk that are definitely NOT six feet, it's not an option.

Also, that presupposes that someone has an ereader to get books. Those are fairly spendy and not accessible to everyone. Not to mention that you can only spend so many hours reading at a time... and I say that as someone who tends to read between 60-80 books per year. Almost all my hobbies are ones that can be done indoors, and yet the lack of social interaction and exercise is still a huge issue for me. I don't understand why you seem to be arguing that I should just be magically okay with all this?

Human interaction is a psychological need, no matter how introverted you are. Some people had systems in place already to interact with people online, but for those whose social interactions all happened in the physical world, lockdown can be very hard to deal with.

I consider myself an introvert. I'd usually prefer to do things on my own. I enjoy my own company in my down time. I do have friends who I love dearly, but being with them is always an event, something to be planned for, enjoyed, then put aside so I can relax and recharge.
I'm lucky to have my systems in place. I have plenty of online friends now and an easy way to contact them. It's very hard to talk to the friends I've made in physical space, and I'm technologically literate.
Years ago, events coincided so I literally went three weeks without taking to anybody. It was hell. I had work to do, I had media to consume, but it can only distract you for so long.
Have you ever missed everyone you've ever known, all at once? Knitting won't fix that. Keeping yourself occupied isn't the biggest challenge a lot of people are facing.

Thank you Coldfrost.

Shits not unbearable or awful, it’s just different. I used to go on drives on the highway at night or during the day to clear my head. I’d stop at a gas station, get some gas, keep going or turn around. Can’t really do that now. I can walk around the neighborhood, but I decided to stay with my parents during all this so it’s the neighborhood I grew up in and I’ve seen everything here. It’s kind of like sensory deprivation. I’ve got a pretty big tolerance to handle isolation and seeing the same things every day, but knowing how other people are, being kind of dependent on in person interaction and new stimuli... I bet that sucks a lot for them.

I don't go around identifying as an introvert. I don't even know if I am an introvert. It hasn't been much of an issue and I've never had or seen an introvert/extrovert internet fight.

We can still talk to friends, I was talking to one and she was talking about her flatmate getting on her nerves talking about being so bored because he can't sell roofs 40 hours a week. He doesn't have kids or friends or family anyway, so that's all irrelevant. We made the observation that there's 168 hours in a week, and only 40 of his have changed, and that maybe the lockdown isn't his real problem since his flatmate has an extra 40 hours at home too and she's not using them to channel-surf. I think that's fair.

For the people who can't afford e-readers, you can read e-books on any screen, and if it's too hard on the eyes, then audiobooks are a thing. If you've run out, new education and entertainment is still obtainable online like it always was, in a variety of forms. Mix it up: drama, comedy, documentary, historical, contemporary, film, tv, radio, book, podcast. music. I'm not saying stick to one thing. Organise online film-nights with your friends. I listen to a podcast where we did that anyway, and during the lockdown we've upped them from monthly to weekly.

I mean if the things we can't do anymore are the only things that satisfied certain people, then what do they want the rest of us to say. Something they previously relied on is temporarily unsafe. Are they open to suggestions for alternatives or do they want to bite our heads off for offering them? I actually suggested said friend give her flatmate a chance, maybe suggest a specific film or series they could watch together on purpose instead of him channel-surfing alone. It didn't work because he didn't like any of her suggestions and got annoyed. So now they're ignoring each other in lockdown in the same house, and I'm hearing about it, and now you're all hearing about it.

@eriophora; yeah, I hear you. That must be hard for you. It's hard for a lot of people. But it's temporary and it'll get easier as time goes on.

Millpond said:
I mean if the things we can't do anymore are the only things that satisfied certain people, then what do they want the rest of us to say.
This is clearly a new concept to you, but sometimes people complain as a method of processing their emotions. Sometimes people listen and empathize with those complaints to help in that process. Not everything requires you to say something back. Sometimes people just want to hear, "Yeah, that must be hard for you."

You’re basically complaining about people being, for lack of a better term, pussy ass bitches. Are you really all that surprised? My biggest complaint is I just ain’t sleeping right.

Well, I’m sure there’s a better term, but... eh. Cut me a break.

Millpond said:
I mean if the things we can't do anymore are the only things that satisfied certain people, then what do they want the rest of us to say.

Hello! I'm about an 80% introvert. I don't talk to that many people offline. I find myself in a position where the lock-down is making me feel just a little antsy, but I am holding up somewhat okay based on a *lifetime* of acclimation to this lifestyle. I don't say this to announce this to everyone that I "won" the lifestyle war. I just want to say this so that hopefully you can trust my perspective and that I'm not just a grumpy extrovert when I try to break this down for you.

When people are struggling, there are two valid responses: Suggestions and Sympathy.

You sound like a let's-fix-you person. That's fine. However, and this is the important part, a suggestion isn't just a suggestion when you follow it with a list of cold logical reasons why they need to change their nature right now. Yes, the extro/ambi-verts are well aware of this. It is tough. This thread gives them a place to vent about the anxieties along the way, preferably without people telling them their previous way of processing the world is now wrong and that it's time for a complete personalty transplant. This is called gloating.

This is like telling people hit by a hurricane that they were incorrect to live there, it was bound to happen at some point, and that they chose the wrong state to live in and so here's a list of real-estate listings in West Virginia where this isn't a problem. Problem solved! And if they don't move to West Virginia it's their own fault the next time their home gets flooded.

Some people just don't want to live in West Virginia. Maybe they will like someplace else. Maybe they like their home for other reasons. It'll take time to figure out how to move forward while their house dries out.

Anyways...

For everyone else, here are some youtube videos that I discovered can hopefully make one slightly less uncomfortable if just by playing them in the background:
  • Coffeeshop background noise - playing this in the background seems to help for obvious reasons. Especially if you were the coffee-shop reader/worker type like me.
  • Rain Sounds - Being dry while simultaneously hearing the sound of rain seems to invoke a subconscious urge to contently stay inside. I figured this out after noticing my mood improved on rainy days, which is usually the opposite of what happens when it rains.

I've moved this thread out of Touchy Subjects to:
  • hopefully remind people that the argumentative tone isn't really the point of this thread
  • now's not the time of touchy subjects during the time of no-touching.

Blake said:

For everyone else, here are some youtube videos that I discovered can hopefully make one slightly less uncomfortable if just by playing them in the background:
  • Coffeeshop background noise - playing this in the background seems to help for obvious reasons. Especially if you were the coffee-shop reader/worker type like me.
  • Rain Sounds - Being dry while simultaneously hearing the sound of rain seems to invoke a subconscious urge to contently stay inside. I figured this out after noticing my mood improved on rainy days, which is usually the opposite of what happens when it rains.

I remember this website back when my ADHD used to flair up. Strongly suggest it for anyone who wants a mix-n-match approach to creating a soothing sound blend. Putting it on "meander" with a couple of chosen sounds also turns out really nice.

A few things that have helped me:

• Changing my apartment lighting. I rehung my Christmas lights so that it feels a little different at night, almost like being in a whole different space.
  • I've been doing coffee shops sounds as suggested above for a while. It's nice. I also have a few other playlists I try to use throughout the day to help with my perception of time, along with one I only listen to on the weekends.
  • I started using Habitica with a few friends to help me with some basic tasks that were starting to be a little too easy to ignore. It's helpful to have other people involved since I feel more of an obligation. I use it for things like reminding me to stretch, do a mini workout, put away dishes, etc.
  • Started reading some delightfully trashy gay fake dating romance novels because I have had ZERO ability to focus on anything with any depth to it whatsoever.

I think the biggest challenge for me right now is working remotely. It's hard to get up the energy for meetings or client calls when everything else is so draining. It's the sort of socialization that was already high energy for me, and now it just feels moreso.

This mess made me realize how much I enjoy and miss dining in. Even if its just myself there's something comfy about eating at a small diner.

Other than that, thank fuck for Discord. Good mix of internet acquaintances and irl's to keep me company.

Day 1 of relearning the clarinet during quarentine after over half a decade of abandoning it :

Pros:
  • Turns out muscle memory is pretty good and I can remember almost an octave's worth of notes without consulting anything.
  • I can still play the Jurassic Park theme!
  • It keeps my cats quiet and out of my room

Cons:
  • My embouchure is pretty shit. I go loose-lipped after about ten minutes of play
  • I've forgotten how ungodly clarinet sounds when you're not confident and out of practice. I expect my family to go even more insane than they already are in the coming weeks.

Make sure your reeds haven't been sitting around for half a decade. They can go bad even in sealed packaging. And you'll probably be a lower hardness level than when you stopped playing, since your embouchure muscles are out of shape.

Coldfrost said:
Make sure your reeds haven't been sitting around for half a decade.

Oh, I just found them sitting in the box with the clarinet, untouched from where I left them. They sound mostly fine, a couple squeaks here and there, but that's just because I'm rusty. Do you have any idea if it's moisture that damages them, or if it's just a decay thing? Because I think they sound alright for now, and I doubt anywhere selling reeds is still open.

Old reeds are often very good reeds, in my experience, as long as they're not growing anything.

You can buy them online very easily.

Maybe I've just had weird experiences. I've definitely had them warp or crack if they're left out too long outside of a sealed case after use. In the right conditions they could keep a long time, I suppose.

Day 2:

That happened fast. I can play almost every note again (exception for a few at either end of the scale), and my squeaking is getting less often. My family has kicked me into the garage for when I play.

anyone else have quarantine hair?

Had quarantine hair since 2012 fam

Same though. I've given up on trying to tame my wild hair anymore.

Wash it with conditioner and brush it In the shower with the conditioner still in your hair

Forum > General Discussion > So how about that COVID-19?