ForumGeneral Discussion ► Unpopular opinions
So, on a flammable surface, it could theoretically set something on fire.

Also, this thing is hot to the touch when I'm just running Zoom... so yea.

wait wait wait wait...

you can run zoom on your Chromebook.

The only applications running on my Chromebook are chrome and LanSchool air, which is a topic for another day. It is basically spyware.

I tried running a CPU temp performance monitor app that was a chrome add on and then they blocked it lol

Well, I can't create a meeting, but even being in one makes my computer overheat and loose charge fast. And I mean fast. I have to charge it, like, 2 times a day.

I sorted my reddit comments by controversial, here are my most unpopular opinions apparently:

• I don't think it's good practice to be judgmental about bodies in general (including thin people)
  • Smartphone usage may contribute to reduced attention-spans
  • I do not like the name Winslow for a girl
  • I'm not better than other people because I listen to obscure music
  • Jordan Peterson is not the epitome of logic and reason
  • Literature from the past isn't devalued by not conforming to modern trends in writing (i.e. the insistence on having a "hook")

K said:
Jordan Peterson is not the epitome of logic and reason

But, but, but how are young men supposed to find their place in modern society if they don’t slay the feminine dragon of chaos? /s

K said:
I sorted my reddit comments by controversial, here are my most unpopular opinions apparently:

• I don't think it's good practice to be judgmental about bodies in general (including thin people)
  • Smartphone usage may contribute to reduced attention-spans
  • I do not like the name Winslow for a girl
  • I'm not better than other people because I listen to obscure music
  • Jordan Peterson is not the epitome of logic and reason
  • Literature from the past isn't devalued by not conforming to modern trends in writing (i.e. the insistence on having a "hook")</quote>

People actually manage to disagree with these?

But, but, but how are young men supposed to find their place in modern society if they don’t slay the feminine dragon of chaos? /s

I think if men identified with the real reason they like Jordan Peterson, then at least that would be more honest. I just take issue with the idea that what he says is logically iron-clad, because it is not at all. It's the need to justify misogyny with pseudo-science that grinds my gears than anything else.

If people want to admit that his arguments have big holes but they still like what he is saying, then fine. They are at least owning their bullshit and maybe they will realise eventually that they are buying into being bamboozled.

People actually manage to disagree with these?

For any given opinion, there is probably someone out there who disagrees with it.

It's the one about old literature being devalued - like... Also the obscure music one. I can vividly see many people jumping up to disagree with smart phone use though, even though it's quite obvious.

Here's apparently one of mine: go to college if you can reasonably afford it.

To be fair, some old literature is not that great and is overvalued because people who by and large haven't read it think you should.

Oh yeah totally fair. I hated great expectations. Oddly enough, I only read it after I had watched that one south park episode enough times.

Here's apparently one of mine: go to college if you can reasonably afford it.

I fail to see how anyone could disagree with that. I can't reasonably think of many cases where a bachelor degree's impact in the long run (I.E Job opportunities, higher salaries, etc.) doesn't outweigh the cost of tuition. Unless you're a "wah, I have to work in order to improve my educational standing?" kind of person.

Or if the ones making it are conservatives, because that makes a lot more sense. Conservatives are ostensibly anti-education.

Here's a reason I can think of to disagree with and it's one I actually respect: some people just want to start life after high school modestly and jump right into 'the real world'. However, most people I know who did that have a very low quality-of-life compared to people I know who actually did go to a university -- even the ones who went to a university for just a semester or two. That's a rant I won't do unless someone wants me to.

I will say however only go into a graduate program if you actually really want to / need to for what you want to do in life. I really wanted to do the program I'm in now. I could have gotten a job and been living just fine if I hadn't started this program after I got my bachelor's, but simply this is just what I want.

Grayseff said:
To be fair, some old literature is not that great and is overvalued because people who by and large haven't read it think you should.

This is completely true, and I think some people do lean too far in the direction of "older literature is better". My unpopular opinion on reddit was merely that a lot of older literature doesn't do any of the things that are now espoused as universal "good writing" advice. It doesn't make those books "bad writing" though.

There are a lot of people who will fight very strongly for prescriptive writing advice including: all adverbs are bad, openings must have a hook, and "show not tell".

What I've learned most on the internet is that people like for there to be prescriptive rules for everything, because then they don't have to expend any effort figuring anything out. I think it's a common desire amongst any group of people rife with perfectionism to be handed a set of criteria that they can meet to shield themselves from criticism. They will staunchly defend that security.

Sure, Utopia is good because it's the first of its kind, but it's by no stretch an interesting book. Dracula is the same, it's 350 pages of women's diaries about their husbands followed by 100 of action. Poe is less interesting than Lovecraft. It doesn't mean Poe is bad (though Dracula is in my opinion) but I don't like the idea that reading is about haughty values rather than entertainment or engagement.

e-bag said:
I don't see the use in purchasing Among Us on Steam on PC.

It's five bucks that goes towards people who are working to further develop the game. They made a fun game.

Grayseff said:
Sure, Utopia is good because it's the first of its kind, but it's by no stretch an interesting book. Dracula is the same, it's 350 pages of women's diaries about their husbands followed by 100 of action. Poe is less interesting than Lovecraft. It doesn't mean Poe is bad (though Dracula is in my opinion) but I don't like the idea that reading is about haughty values rather than entertainment or engagement.

I completely agree with all of this. Additionally, even if you do want more philosophical or "deep" books... there are a TON being written right now across many genres that explore themes relevant specifically to today and ones that are more timeless. Books have, in my opinion, consistently tended to grow more thoughtful and push more boundaries in more interesting ways over time. Old books still have value, of course, but I usually think that there's a newer book that probably does the same thing but better - and in a way that is both more entertaining and engaging to boot.

@K,

Woah wtf? Adverbs are bad? How do you write anything longer than a paragraph without adverbs without it sounding weird?

Admittedly I mostly read "classic" books so I'm a hypocrite, but Hesse's Steppenwolf or Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment are so effing boring it isn't even funny. I mostly read classics at the moment because it seems like something everyone should do but more often than not don't, and I'm sick of being told how great they are without seeing so myself.

greyseff how do you have negative posts?

Every time Grayseff deletes a forum post by rule-breaking hooligans it adds to his negative post count.

ah i see!

good thing i am not a rule breaking hooligan

scribbles that out on my resume

Idk if this is unpopular or not but horror movies aren’t scary, they’re funny.

Depends on the movie for me. Very few movies scare me anymore, but I'm sure some would. VHS is just funny to me. The Ruins is a horror book, but I tend to think of it more as a tragedy.

Idk if this is unpopular or not but horror movies aren’t scary, they’re funny.

In English class we literally had to write an essay about an article we read about h the e enjoyment of horror movies. The reason some people enjoy them is because of difference in dopamine release. Some people release dopamine differently.

It's not that it gets released differently, as in like it's doing different things in different people. It's that people perceive it differently and that the dopamine release can be brought about through different ways. Like for some people it'll come about through the fear of seeing pop up on the screen. For me it's the hilarity of big-breasted chicks falling on their tits (watch the exorcism of emily rose) at the most inopportune time before the ghost/killer gets them. Not too many horror movies like that coming out these days. It's a shame. That chick in that movie was kinda flat chested though still a funny movie. They should have cast paris hilton, she would have been great for it back then. Terrible enough movie in the first place for her to work too.

Forum > General Discussion > Unpopular opinions