ForumGeneral Discussion ► Procrastination-related Dread
This is thread for dread associated with procrastination.

E.g.
It's already almost 10 pm and you're not even finished with homework from your first class yet and you have an essay from government that you haven't even started on and you know tonight is going to suck.

The question remains...

why do I keep letting this happen

Ugh, I get that! For some reason, I can't help but keep procrastinating on my assignments :((((
Of course, I'm just realizing that I'm procrastinating by writing about procrastination. LOL
Like, of all the things I procrastinate for, it's physics for me now. Of course...why do I keep doing this to myself?

But anyway, here are some tips that help me out:

1. Bring a snack and a drink with you. This way you won't feel the need to go to the kitchen for a bite.
2. Turn your phone, if you have one with you, on silent. Or, if you can't trust yourself, put it in another room.
3. Eat the frog first. In other words, do the hardest, most boring, or otherwise the toughest assignment to get through.
4. Try using the Pomodoro Technique. Set a timer for 20 to 30 minutes (you can adjust this to your liking). Once the timer is up, take a 5-minute break. Then, rinse and repeat.
5. If you choose to listen to music, pick ones without lyrics or lots of intensity. Even though my favourite songs are incredibly uplifting, they often end up being the most distracting. Instrumental songs or orchestral music is a good choice. Otherwise, put the music away.

I hope this helps in some way.

Or not.

In the next four weeks I have to write: a 20 minute presentation on relativistic quantum mechanics, a literature review and accompanying presentation, a research proposal on superatoms (about which I know fuck all) and a 15,000 word dissertation on novel research and my coping mechanism is procrastination.

Shit.

I have three classes' worth of essays to mark by Monday. I've had them since two weeks ago. I've barely started. Ugh.

every poster so far has a post count below 100 lol

I think that this happens with everyone. Everyone procrastinates, then regrets it.

I second that. I think it's a short term benefit for me; you have enjoyment and lack of boredom, then you're cramming at the last minute.

e-bag said:
I think that this happens with everyone. Everyone procrastinates, then regrets it.

To an extent. my fun brain cocktail of ADHD, anxiety and perfectionism makes procrastination a particularly hard obstacle for me, despite my best efforts to develop good habits. Everyone procrastinates but some people physically can't make themselves do things sometimes and it suuuucks

who would've thought i'd be back here

ughh
haven't started on this ap gov fipad yet

timezone is est you do the math

sorry jeez

I procrastinate so much and then I can't work on my work because I'm so stressed about it so I either cry or sleep instead and then I have more work to do that I've procrastinated on by crying or sleeping so I cry and sleep more and this makes no sense so let me rephrase:

I procrastinate by crying and sleeping because I have so much work to do. That creates more work.
Vicious cycle ensues.

I have an essay due on Tuesday that I haven't started yet. I suppose that the procrastination isn't at its most dire quite yet, but I thought I would be able to at least get started today. However I woke up this morning and was just in a mindset of "I hate everything," and so I haven't been able to get any work done.

Forum > General Discussion > Procrastination-related Dread