ForumGeneral Discussion ► Monster Energy Addiction
So uh, I think I might be REALLY addicted to monster, one dude said that he drank around six a day, those are ROOKIE number for me. My current record holds at 27 in 24 hours and I drink at least 5 a day, usually more. I theoretically have set the world record, but it's already done, and I have no way to prove it, and I'm NOT going through that again. Theoretically, I should be dead. The amount of caffeine intake should have killed me, yet here I am. I don't know how I did it, but I'm still addicted so.

yeah I think addicted is an understatemeant

in all seriosness, you should see a doctor or somethings

I would, but with the pandemic, I don't wanna go there unless its a medical emergency.

True, true.

Well, maybe you could try an energy drink with less sugar in it?

I drink sugar free to avoid diabetes, the only thing is the caffeine intake over 400 mg has the potential to kill you, each 16 fl. oz. can of monster has 140 mg. I drank 27, therefore, I drank 3,780 milligrams of caffeine while breaking the record, I am EXTREMELY lucky to be alive.

Edit: However, metabolism also plays an effect in how fast the caffeine is burned and turned into energy. I do have high metabolism.

Ah, that's true. With a higher metabolism, you may be able to drink more than the average person with no adverse effects. Then again, that still might not be good to test that.

Seeing as you are lucky to be alive, you NEED to see a doctor. If anything see an addiction therapist or something

Time to make Antimony Pentafluoride proud.

I don't know where you heard that 400mg of caffeine is potentially fatal. That's ridiculous. The LD50 of caffeine (a dose that will kill you about half the time) is about 150 mg per kg of body weight. Even if you're only 120 pounds, that's a dose of 8,250mg to reliably kill you. And that's all at once- the half-life of caffeine is a few hours. So if you drink 10 monsters all at once (1,400mg) 5 hours later it will only count for 700mg. I think your stomach would burst before you could kill yourself via Monster.

But it still sounds like a pretty serious addiction. Caffeine is mildly addictive- quitting cold turkey will have side effects like migraines. Perhaps put yourself on a schedule to cut back? This week you get 5 a day, next week you get 4, and in a month you'll be at a more reasonable intake.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/398579-monster-energy-drink-addiction/
I got it from this link.

"Daily doses of up to 400 mg per day of caffeine is OK for most adults" Theoretically saying anything over 400 mg for adults is potentially fatal.

Edit 1: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

Also this one.

Edit 2: cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity is also a thing that can happen, even without any underlying conditions.

i cant even imagine how expensive your addiction is

I can afford it, my family makes a decent living, I live stream on twitch, and my setup is $8,000, other than that, id say I've spent around $5000 dollars in the last 2 years on monster

Aspen: Do not double post. If you realise that you want to add something to your post and no other user has posted in the thread yet, you can use the "Edit" button. I fixed it for you now, but remember this in the future.

It's stories like this where I'm glad I managed to become caffeine-independent.

I have probably consumed less than 50 cups of coffee this year.

So that's less than 50 cups in ~19 days? That's not a lot to some, I guess (especially when compared to a guy in my SO's circle whose coffee addiction got so bad that he stopped measuring who much he had drank in cups and started to measure it in liters), but it's still 2-3 cups a day. To me, that's a lot. Unless it's really small cups.

Right, forgot it was a new year.

I meant since 2020 started.

So more like 1 cup a week.

I usually only drink it when I feel absolutely unable to function, and/or I'll supplement it with half a can of diet coke if I'm still feeling drowsy by noon. It helps with my mild anxiety and attention span problems.

@coldfrost: Yes, that is exactly the case with caffeine. Most monster energy drinks have between 160-200mg caffeine. Let’s go 180mg the middle, multiply that by 27 cans, that’s 4860.

Aspen said:
https://www.livestrong.com/article/398579-monster-energy-drink-addiction/
I got it from this link.

"Daily doses of up to 400 mg per day of caffeine is OK for most adults" Theoretically saying anything over 400 mg for adults is potentially fatal.

Edit 1: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

Also this one.

Edit 2: cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity is also a thing that can happen, even without any underlying conditions.
When we say “ok for most adults” we don’t mean anything higher could kill you, it means anything higher could lead to more negative side effects than benefits. That’s true of most drugs. I’m not sure how much you weigh but I would however say that you probably are lucky that you didn’t need to go to a hospital. However it’s important to note that needing medical treatment for a drug overdose doesn’t necessarily mean you would die otherwise. Taking so much that you need medical attention and taking so much that you are going to die are different things. Also it’s important to remember that LD50 is just the median lethal dose.

Also here’s a concentration vs time curve if you’re curious, coldfrost. Fourth page, second figure, line with the triangles, not the squares. Note that the y axis is in concentration of caffeine in blood. It is theoretically possible that you could take enough even spaced out to be able to die.

If you’d like, I could explain caffeine’s pharmacokinetics as much as I can. There’s a lot more to how much of a drug is in your body and actually doing its thing than how much you take or even the bioavailability of it.

Though in general caffeine is very safe. I have pretty bad epilepsy and I drank 3 bang energy drinks in a day. That’s 900mg. I weigh 150 (68kg) and I’m 25. No complications other than not being able to sleep and being a little more anxious than normal. I know someone who had the same amount when they were a ~120lb 14 year old and they didn’t have any complications other than not being able to sleep well that night and being a a little more bitchy than normal.

I'd be more alarmed at the calories of that many sugar packed drinks...

So do you want to stop drinking that much? Or just share about it?

from my pov you have two options
1) stop buying so many drinks (buy a finite amount for the whole week? Once they're gone, they're gone)

2) I'm guessing you're American (I'm not) but there surely are telehealth programs set up there atm. Call around your local GP clinics and ask if they offer phone consultations. If it's an addiction that you can't or won't stop by yourself then you need expert help.

I guess I want to stop? I mean, its not like its easy, so its kind of hard to admit I want to, cause there's a part of my addiction that wants me to keep doing it cause it feels good.

well I think the first solution is good.

Only buy, say 50, for the whole week. (you don't need to use that number I am just throwing it out)

every week buy 1-2 less and you will eventually start to have a healthy amount.

Are you trying to stop completely or just get to a healthy amount?

Aspen said:
I guess I want to stop? I mean, its not like its easy, so its kind of hard to admit I want to, cause there's a part of my addiction that wants me to keep doing it cause it feels good.
Man caffeine isn’t as dangerous as a drug as you seem convinced it is. For most people it’s perfectly okay to have like 200mg a day. Just reduce the amount you have every day. Frankly in my opinion it’d be kind of a shame if you never got to enjoy caffeine again if you didn’t have a medical reason to stop. It’s not like you’re doing opioids or fiending for nicotine.

Aspen said:

What do you enjoy about it and what part feels good?

It lets me stay up for up to a week sometimes. Good for binge research and working.

That is almost as unhealthy as all the drinks

if you're tryna research or stay up for long periods of time maybe try different foods? bananas are always good for energy

Forum > General Discussion > Monster Energy Addiction