ForumGeneral Discussion ► let's talk about the 3rd crusade.
let us talk about the third crusade, a great war between Christians and Muslims. no political bias.

i'm on the crusaders' side (Teutonic Order and Knights Templar), and i will respect most opinions and beliefs.

How about the Crusades in general?

I remember our school made us make a rap about the crusade. I still remember the chorus.

Edit: Oh, and the plague.

I haven't learned about the crusades yet. But I've already learned about them on my own.

I think some significant kings of France, England, and HRE were on the Christian side, and Saladin on the Muslim side.

e-bag said:

Edit: Oh, and the plague.

No matter what you try, the plague will make you die.

why did saladin kill king baldwin the fourth? i feel that it wasn't for a good reason.

imagine having political bias going into a discussion about events that occurred a thousand years ago, literally

on the outer shell of knowledge of the 3rd crusade, everybody considers the crusaders to be like "WE WILL TAKE JERUSALEM! DEUS VULT!" but there is clearly more than that.

It went exactly like this:

"The plague took Billy
The plague took Fred
The plague took Mama,
And now they're all dead.
Their necks got lumps,
Over the wall they get dumped,
With the black plague spreading,
Where you heading?"

Reason I remember this: I wrote all of it, though it was a group project.

why did saladin kill king baldwin the fourth? i feel that it wasn't for a good reason.

He... did?

that's a bit dark, isn't it?

W_Licky said:

He... did?

that's what i learned. he killed king baldwin and took over jerusalem for the muslims.

They made a poster about this

that's a bit dark, isn't it?

Yeah, it is, but we got an A, so HUZZAH!

Didn't Baldwin IV die from leprosy?

They made a poster about this
[JOJO POSTER]

W_Licky said:
Didn't Baldwin IV die from leprosy?

i'm not sure. there's two sides here, saladin and leprosy. this is what i found from wikipedia.

From Wikipedia:
Sibylla, who succeeded her son, made Guy king. Baldwin IV's realm was destroyed by Saladin following his decisive victory over Guy at the Horns of Hattin in 1187.
Died: May 1185, Jerusalem

Baldwin IV died from leprosy. The CHAOTIC succession following his death made the Kingdom of Jerusalem weaker and Saladin's chances of taking the city were higher.

Generally, if a king dies, succession happens, and succession in the medieval era isn't always amazing.

perhaps saladin poisoned king baldwin with leprosy, or is it not possible?

It's a disease.

Baldwin IV had leprosy for most of his life. He died at 24.

Pretty sure he just up and died, and everything he ruled fell apart.

well shit. guess saladin didn't kill baldwin. i guess the crusaders just wanted to give jerusalem a new christian government?

Exactly.

He died. Succession crisis. Kingdom falls apart. Saladin can now swoop in.

Forum > General Discussion > let's talk about the 3rd crusade.