ForumGeneral Discussion ► Teens: a thread for teens
Luckily for me, I can't hold a conversation long enough to get close to anyone online even if they are really interesting or nice so an adult getting too close isn't really likely here

Luckily for me, I can't hold a conversation long enough to get close to anyone online even if they are really interesting or nice so an adult getting too close isn't really likely here

And what if an adult messaged you and held up the conversation in a way that made it easy and natural to participate in, making you feel like you were really succeeding at it and connecting with them in a way you've historically struggled to do?

Yeah. The kids that fall victim aren't dumber or more gullible than others, it's the predators that are savvy. Grown up is gonna have more experience in communication and persuasion.

That is very true I do be a sucker for people who actually make me feel not like a dummy

Well my next strategy is to just not talk to people ever then

I have to write a research paper for English, and this conversation inspired the topic I'm using. I'm going to cover the pros and cons of teens having access to the internet and social media. My original plan was to focus on stuff like grooming but that's a banned topic.

By the way, we’re not trying to tell y’all that you shouldn’t trust adults. We’re just saying be careful.

actually i think the whole not trusting adults thing is right. don't trust adults or people at all, ever. write a paper about that

Not trusting anyone ever is a great way to screw yourself over.

kids are just mean, but adults can do evil stuff

bug said:
actually i think the whole not trusting adults thing is right. don't trust adults or people at all, ever. write a paper about that

I resent trust issues. I am glad I do not have any. For better or for worse.

yeah i should probably mention that i was being kind of sarcastic

Sarcasm. :)

yes. its an art form, really.

caveat said:
My original plan was to focus on stuff like grooming but that's a banned topic.

Why is it banned? That seems like a good topic.

More like where and how is it 'banned'.
Edit: Oh school. That's dumb as fuck. Yeah, what Ant said. That sounds like it would be a great topic to have high schoolers write about.

bug said:
its ok
tbh i dont think im vulnerable at all but i can see why other people my age might be

This is the exact attitude that makes teens vulnerable. "It wouldn't/couldn't happen to me."

yeah but it literally couldnt

even if it couldnt, still be careful

i know, thats one of the reasons it couldn't happen

There have been many situations I have been sure I would never be in and yet I have found myself in those situations nonetheless. You can be sure of something and still be wrong.

bug said:
yeah but it literally couldnt

Why not?

Why is it banned? That seems like a good topic.

It is! But their guidelines for stuff we can write about is determined by whether or not you're able to Google it on a school device. This gets rid of sex, drugs, weapons and in some cases stuff like race as topics. My English teacher agreed that we had some pretty good topics, one of my friends wanted to do gun control. District just doesn't like it.

Edit: Which I find dumb because sex, drugs, race, and weapons are like three of the most major problems we're facing in America and it's idiotic that they're literally banned as teaching topics and discussion points. We know what a gun is. We know what drugs are. We know what sex is. Let us talk about it and actually form some fucking opinions and address it.

Because they get a notification that tells them a student was looking up something bad and then they get concerned. At least that's how it is here.

It all comes down to our dumb dumb bubblegum schoolboard and parents.
rant over

doublepost

Forum > General Discussion > Teens: a thread for teens