ForumGeneral Discussion ► Your Question and Their Answers
That sounds about right. Blake announced it over on Nerd Paradise IIRC and I registered about then.

According to your profile, you registered in 2000- 9 years before this website was created I think.

That might be from the merge with NerdParadise?

wtf i just realized 2000 was 19 years ago. you'd have to be some sort of ever lasting vampire to have been alive back then. did history even started yet???

2000 being 19 years ago is an utter mind fuck.

I can't believe you've done this. I actually even remember Y2K.

Bruh I wasn't even alive during Y2K

It's entirely possible that I had Y2K stationery to kick off the school year (We start in January/early Feb here).

All I remember from 2000 is that I was 5.

I worked on the Y2K problem.

Yes, I'm old.

Zia is almost certainly right - that must indeed be my NP registration date. At one point Blake merged the forum systems, and as part of that would have copied all the registrations across.

I started my undergraduate degree at 24, we had a physics problem on the Millennium Bridge (which had structural issues relating to resonance) and a group of 18 year olds without a hint of sarcasm or irony said "no way that really happened." I remembered it being on the news

The oldest "big things" from back then that I can remember are the 2001 wtc attacks, the anthrax scares, and then when the space shuttle Columbia disintegrated on its way back in 2003.

I remember the moon landings. I had a big chart in my bedroom with all sorts of radio and orbital data (not that I really understood that, but it was cool). Yay rockets, yay science!

Before that, I remember there was a storm which blew down about a third of the trees in Scotland. We had fun stuff to climb on for years after.

The oldest "big things" from back then that I can remember are the 2001 wtc attacks, the anthrax scares, and then when the space shuttle Columbia disintegrated on its way back in 2003.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat (born in '94).

Yup, ‘95 for me. Oh. It was a little bit after this stuff, but I have super vivid memories of Katrina and then Rita immediately after. Oh, man. So many candles. For almost a whole year, I’d walk around my house at night with one of these and carry around a little paper fan too because Louisiana without AC is awful. I also remember being in New Orleans for a good bit of it toward the end (and after the flooding had gone down) and seeing the fema diamonds on the front doors of derelict houses. This is what all the numbers mean. Sometimes you’d see “GL” on the right quadrant for “gas leak” too, sometimes it would even just say “Fire” to let you know that walls were burned up inside. Sometimes I saw “MOLD” in the right quadrant. In the left you’d see “FEMA” (rarely, the bastards never helped with the searches) or usually “NOPD” if it was a police search team.

A rundown. I actually remember seeing the house in the middle. At least one that said something similar. There was one I saw that said “3 DEAD, HELP”. I sadly can’t find any other examples. There weren’t many houses that had “0” in the bottom quadrant. Sometimes people in neighborhoods that were almost completely obliterated would just draw their own.

I was 10 during all of that.

Heh, the one in the middle has a Pikachu plush in the window.

DIAV: How old are you?

I remember trying to call $TVNETWORK when they had a kids-call-in-your-questions for anchorguy...Tom Brokaw maybe?... to answer live. I had a great question ready about whether Saddam Hussein had a designated successor and what Iraq would do next if we got him in an air strike. And all they did was take dumb questions like "What is a sortie?".

They probably heard what your question was and thought “the heck kinda parents does this kid have?” unfortunately, probably very cool ones. They missed out, man. That would be awesome to hear a kid calling in with a question like that and actually have it get answered.

Should have specified... that was operation Desert Storm in 1991. Back when we could still get away with labelling any action in the mideast "desert".

DIAV: How old are you?

Not quite a senior yet, but I strongly suspect I'm the forum grandpa here. For contrast, I know that I'm not on at least 3 of the other forums I frequent.

Zia said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat (born in '94).

'94 club whatuuuup

But yeah, I remember Y2K and some of the paranoia around that (and what I was doing that New Year's Eve), watching the second plane hit on 9/11 live on the news, I remember getting back from a Scout hike and the park rangers had lowered the flag to half mast because the Columbia had just blown up, I remember the Iraq invasion and Hussein being captured and then killed, the '04 hurricane season and helping our church who had accepted a bunch of refugees, and a few other significant historic events.

And don't even get me started on my pop culture bullshit. I refuse to be associated with people who don't remember Face on Nick Jr.

'01 clubbbbb ✌✌ lmao. I know no one asked and it really doesn't belong in this thread but...

I remember the 2012 elections, I was in sixth grade, my best friend and I were rooting for Ron Paul cuz our parents told us shit about him. Idk I wasn't that invested but it gave my friend and I something to talk about. When the US legalized gay marriage, shit was wackkk my parents were so mad lmao. My best friend and I couldn't understand why our parents were so mad about it. The 2016 election, I don't wanna get into that, I wasn't that invested in it at the time anyway. The Sandy Hook shooting kinda, I don't remember what year it was and I can't remember a lot of coverage about it. I just remember hearing about it at school. Those "bigger", more covered shootings Orlando, Parkland and Las Vegas. We started doing more drills at school to prepare us ya know. I've graduated now and I'm not so scared for my life, but now I'm scared for my siblings and some friends who are still in school. They were always just drills but they still scared me ofc. I mean, what student wouldn't be. The Charlottesville attack, thinking about it makes my stomach churn. Then the New Zealand shooting, that shit fucked me up. I don't live in New Zealand but just hearing about it from clear across the world, in what I thought was a idk nice, protected (cuz I can't think of a better word) country, really hit me.

I do live in New Zealand and I can confirm it was fucked up and scary.

limescum said:
I remember the 2012 elections, [...] Idk I wasn't that invested but it gave my friend and I something to talk about. [...] My best friend and I couldn't understand why our parents were so mad about it. The 2016 election, I don't wanna get into that, I wasn't that invested in it at the time anyway.

It takes growing up enough to know and care about issues before one realizes that their representatives keep *#@%ing things up. It is at this point that one begins to "care about politics".

Edit: Not to knock you in any way, @limescum or anyone else. It's just that kids shouldn't have to care about politics but nobody really has the option not to anymore.

What do you mean they don’t have the ‘option’ to not care? Kids (yes, generalizing - I refuse to go through the hassle of an asterisk) just don’t care. That’s not something they’re choosing. You told yourself that and why in your first paragraph.

Edit: That reads ruder than I meant it to? Eh, I trust you to figure the tone of voice I said that in.
For clarity: am not calling you a dick or something.

Point taken, that is paradoxical.

Forum > General Discussion > Your Question and Their Answers