ForumGeneral Discussion ► God Save The Queen
Queen Elizabeth II, pronounced immortal by meme culture, is now dead.

So is it "God save the King" now?

is this real

yes, unfortunatly

I don't want to sing "god save the king" it sounds wrong

This is really unfortunate.

Very unfortunate. While I never really studied or knew much about Her Majesty, she was a person beloved by many. May she rest in peace.

Charles, on the other hand, might just make Canada a republic. But we'll see. Not many of us Canadians like Charles.

King Charles III. Gotta say His Majesty.

Charles, on the other hand, might just make Canada a republic. But we'll see. Not many of us Canadians like Charles.
I don't see why disliking an individual monarch should equate to abolishing the monarchy. The US doesn't abolish the presidency when it dislikes its latest one. King William V will be along in a decade or two.

Not into that either. Pass.

Why do we need a monarchy or a monarch?

Are we afraid the tabloids will go out of business if we stop that nonsense?

Why be concerned if we need it or not? It’s a link to the past and an interesting aspect of the culture if nothing else. I can’t think of a purely logical or utilitarian thing that humans do. Getting rid of elements of our society or culture that don’t fully make sense or serve a purpose is like stripping ourselves of our humanity.

The past, notably, fucking sucked.

If it were me, I’d be happy with a monarchy, as long as they have zero political power.

There are so many countries besides Britain to get your goat better if you’re concerned about monarchs existing. Stop being silly, y’all. Don’t catch mind viruses.

Yeah I’m not worried about the Emperor of Japan, the Queen of Denmark, or the King of Britain. It’s like a nice piece of history that should be preserved.

And also, it’s not the time or place to be hating on the monarchy, when the subject has passed.

I was thinking places more like Qatar… Saudi Arabia… Thailand… If you’re gonna be upset about the existence of monarchies, pick your battles better. You know, if the problem is exorbitant wealth and problematic beliefs, there are places that would benefit so much more than UK from this kind of talk. I’ve still no real issue with the existence of monarchies. But yeah, same. On all points. That’s the gist I’m trying to get at.

Why do we need to pick our battles? I can be mad about many things at the same time. It's one of my skills.

There are people going around the internet saying all sorts of weird misinformation about how the monarchy works and what's going to happen, like all the money stops working because it has the Queen's face on it, so it stops being legal tender.

Really? You think the economy goes into crisis every time the monarch dies? Do online banking and contactless cards have the Queen's face on them too?

Why do we need to pick our battles? I can be mad about many things at the same time. It's one of my skills.
Yeah same but it’s just kinda stupid this time. It’s Britain you’re talking about. There are places with monarchs that could use the help of ideas like this a lot more. For example, Thailand has actual lese-majeste laws.

Same

Oh yeah, Thailand. Everyone's seen those laws "protecting" the Thai king.

The economy does not implode when a monarch dies because the currency is still legal tender. It's not a sudden switch, but a gradual shift to using the new currency.

I think a lot of people think of Absolute Monarchies when they think of monarchies, even though most monarchies are Constitutional Monarchies. Of the 43 national monarchies in the world today, 5 are Absolute: Brunei, Eswatini, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Vatican City.

Hyrule

Forum > General Discussion > God Save The Queen