ForumGeneral Discussion ► Normality...
I would like to raise the issue of ;

Hey , you're not normal
define normal ...
umm... uhhh... nevermind.

Which is basically, what is the meaning of normal, why do people use it in their conversations and does anyone really understand the implications raised by using it ( as in what is a normal accent, skin color, etc ) And also, why does normal sound like anomaly? : /

Anyway, someone had to do it, so i did.

Whats your opinion on this "Normal" and if it existed, what do you think it would be?

My definition of a normal human - one who does what it takes to live on a day to day basis, one who has occasional problems in his or her life, one who wants things, oh, the typical stuff.

Normal is a conception of what people think most other people are like. But, since everyone comes from different backgrounds, experiences, etc. we seem to forget that our idea of normal doesn't necessarily match someone else's. Hence why arguing commences.

Normal to me is far too relative to even try to describe. I'm not even sure where I'd begin.

Damn it, you said exactly what i came in here to say^

Thread resolved?

I have yet to meet anybody not normal. Multiple things can be normal.

Yeah, have you ever met anyone that has absolutely no distinction from anyone else?

Hello.

I think you're quite unique, Ant.

I wasn't talking about myself.

Then whom?

The person I greeted.

Me? How so, may i ask?

You're normal. Nothing particularly unique or interesting about you. One needs, by definition, a reason to be abnormal, not normal.

So you've noticed so far; I purposely diclose little information to anyone. Don't you do the same thing on here? Mainly the gender thing.

Yes, the strive for individuality.

Why? Individuality isn't a good thing in and of itself.

I believe individuallity is being normal, everyone is striving to be different so in a sense i feel the are the same, my aim is simply to be with out influence

The cows'll be home soon.

I like normality. I feed off of it.

Normal is just another word for average. The average human would be all of the humans put together in one body. Think of how odd that would be. It would speak a mixture of all languages, be all religions, have all skin tones and eye colors, have every mental disability (Emotional issues, etc), be both boy and girl. The list goes on and on. I know for one thing that I don't want to be normal.

Normal is best described as 'typical'. By definition, if you're not predictable/unexpected, you're not normal.

Well that's me screwed then (:

Predicted.

How dare you...

Normality is a subjective term applied to people who fit neatly within the bounds of society's arbitrary and often unsaid rules and expectations, in my experience.

However normal is an adjective and thus subjective to your opinions and experiences. Which is the point i strive to argue (:

It depends on what you define as normal. In the broader sense, it is what a specific society or culture deems normal. And individual could also apply normal to their own experiences. Given the vast differences in culture around the world, everyone would likely be considered normal by a world standard.

Normalcy is much like perfection. Perfection cannot exist with a standard of perfection to compare it to. Normalcy cannot exist without a standard set of boundaries regarding what is or is not normal. These boundaries are set by the individual, by society, etc. It all depends on who you look to for your standard.

Forum > General Discussion > Normality...