ForumGeneral Discussion ► Thesis Statement
Is anyone good at writing thesis statements? I'm not. I am writing a report about the Columbine School Shooting. I need a thesis statement. Help?

I believe one of the rules here goes a little like, 'Do your own homework'.

We can, however, offer advice as to how to write a great thesis statement.

Here's a link if you want some tips from a random college's writing services' page. Otherwise, the main thing is to make sure it is debatable. If it's obvious, and, therefore, not debatable, it's not worth the time reading. Additionally, I prefer not to have my main points in a list form, but that may vary depending on the criteria of the assignment.

SO far, I have:

On April 20th, 1999, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris went on shooting spree at their high school in Littleton, Colorado, killing 15 and leaving 24 injured. It is the fourth deadliest school shooting in history (Bowling). Their malevolent plan took nearly a year of angry scheming and preparation. This horrible incident changed many lives all across America.

How does that sound? What can I do to make it better?

This horrible incident changed many lives all across America.
This is the only part of that that is a thesis statement. If this is what you go with, your entire paper should be arguing how it changed people's lives across America, which seems like a specific enough and debatable enough topic for a thesis.

Also, I prefer to use an objective tone when I write, but if you want to use words such as "malevolent" and "angry scheming" and "horrible" that is your prerogative.

Thesis statements can be two sentences. At least, that's what was allowed in my Freshman and Sophmore college English classes.

I once had a thesis statement that was broken up across more than three pages, but it was for a course thesis that was over fifty pages long. For high school and early college writing, where your papers are typically 2-6 pages, you can and should probably keep your thesis to one sentence, or a compound-complex sentence.
On April 20th, 1999, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris went on shooting spree at their high school in Littleton, Colorado, killing 15 and leaving 24 injured. It is the fourth deadliest school shooting in history (Bowling). Their malevolent plan took nearly a year of angry scheming and preparation. This horrible incident changed many lives all across America.
Your thesis should say what you're going to prove and overview how you're going to prove it. Right now you have what you're going to prove: that the Columbine Shooting was a malevolent plot which changed lives across America. You typically would want to follow that up with a list (since I'm guessing you're in high school, follow the rule of threes) of reasons. Each of those reasons will line up with a paragraph (if you're writing a "five paragraph paper") or a section (if you're writing a longer paper). So your thesis would look like this:

This horrible incident changed many lives all across America by [reason #1], [reason #2], and [reason #3].

I would also recommend changing demonstrative adjective "this" in "this horrible incident" to a direct reference to your topic. Your thesis for a small paper like this should be standalone, and may be the only part at which your reader looks.

Research projects also have this distinct quality of being difficult and tedious work than normal essays or assignments. Students have to put in extra effort, and have to know that research papers are technical, in terms of their formats. A particular skill set is required, to properly gather information from credible online sources, and look properly for the important topics. Students have to cite their sources properly, as well, and give proper reasoning and analysis behind every research material that they gather. This is a tedious task in itself, that coupled with, the lack of time, makes for a really difficult and tough assignment. https://samuraipaper.com/pay-for-a-research-paper

O Hai. Dibs on your soul.

E

bitto said:
Students have to cite their sources properly, as well, and give proper reasoning and analysis behind every research material that they gather.
Not necessarily. For instance, you can use a multitude of sources and papers for a paper. Something I always did was .... okay you know, get the idea in your head, look for stuff contradicting you to make sure you ain’t just being dumb, find things that confirm what you think, use those sources, find something in the technicalities that confuses you but you recognize is very important for what you wanna say, well you can’t just use one or so papers, so you go and look at that paper’s sources or you find papers similar to what the confusing but important technicality was that explain it better, pop that in as an in-text citation, quote them directly if it fits in with your sentence. Add ‘em in the works cited/bibliography. Done. Not to suck my own dick, but I never made lower than a 90 on essays in university. Unless you’re talking about when people want an actual annotated bibliography. Those are freaking brutal.

Forum > General Discussion > Thesis Statement