ForumGeneral Discussion ► Your Train of Thoughts
What We Do in the Shadows is the funniest show on TV. Those Kiwis know how to tickle my funny bone.

It sounds like our restrictions might be eased slightly on Monday and I am very excited by the possibility to visit my boyfriend. I think it's been about two months seen I last saw him.

Watching the mummy while on the phone with him really isn't the same

Bagel guillotines exist.
I don't know why but I find that so amusing?

Do the dead bagels turn from Os to Xs? Enquiring minds want to know.

It's weird to become acutely aware that there's a skeleton inside of you. It's normal to think that you've got bones, but there's a whole skeleton inside of you. Like, that symbol of death—it's inside of you.

I'm doing a paper on extinction, and for some reason it's really hard to find papers citing good reasons to support the conservation effort. I've found two papers discussing the shortcomings and problems of conservation, but none citing conservation in general - they're either ways to improve conservation efforts, or species requiring conservation/statistical effects of conservation efforts.

Like, what? You'd think I'd be able to find at least one reputable source that says "conservation is good and here's why".

That's the most ironic thing I ever heard

Kylljoy said:
I'm doing a paper on extinction, and for some reason it's really hard to find papers citing good reasons to support the conservation effort. I've found two papers discussing the shortcomings and problems of conservation, but none citing conservation in general - they're either ways to improve conservation efforts, or species requiring conservation/statistical effects of conservation efforts.

Like, what? You'd think I'd be able to find at least one reputable source that says "conservation is good and here's why".

Not quite what I think you need, but... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2936204/

Just finished the AP CS A test. I haven't programmed in Java in forever, and I realized too late after submitting a question that I partially screwed up in not checking if a reference was null (as the function passing the value could return null). Here's hoping I can at least manage a 4 or 5!

I moved my Facebook and Reddit apps off my phone's home screen to make it more conscious to access to see how much time I waste on social media and I'm shocked at how often I just reflexively click where they were after mindlessly opening my phone...

i do not think, therefore i am not

Who is this Grammar Guy and why does he matter? It could be me, but something about breaking anonymity rubs me the wrong way on TC&S.

For real. I just had a feelsy post that I made in a rush not too long ago because it had to do with some sensitive stuff, and the guy had the nerve to go and correct every capitalization error.

Replied "what the hell" and he has nothing else to say I guess.

what an uneventful year

Ombra said:
what an uneventful year

ikr

what events we have had, are horrible and i can barely take it anymore

Ombra said:
what an uneventful year

ikr

Why, I concur.

I can now officially say I have a degree in physics. I now know how little I know about the universe at large, wonderful

Congratulations Gray!

🥳🥳🥳

What kind of job prospects does that degree give you? Research only, or are there commercial ones as well (I.E. working for a car manufacturer or engineering group)?

Secret weapons research for the US military. Do it.

Congrats, Gray! A damn fine accomplishment. Proud of you, dude!

Kylljoy said:
What kind of job prospects does that degree give you? Research only, or are there commercial ones as well (I.E. working for a car manufacturer or engineering group)?

Engineering with training, data analysis, business analysis, software engineering (if I had focussed more on coding) and depending on research projects IP is pretty common.

Grayseff said:
data analysis, business analysis

Are these because of the degree itself (as in, these jobs require a physics degree), or the training implicit with obtaining it? (I.E. advanced math and/or data analytics) Kind of like how as long as you have a degree of any form and training, you can teach in elementary schools (at least in the US)?

I'm just confused how physics directly relates to those fields, so I'll assume it's because of the mentality "if you can do the math for that, you can probably do the math for this"

Forum > General Discussion > Your Train of Thoughts