ForumGeneral Discussion ► Your Train of Thoughts
Hello, now that you have returned, we can consume you like bread.

i do not consent to that

Too bad, buddy.

no, too bad for you, i am inedible

Says who?

say me, clearly

Nuh uh.

Yuh huh.

So grades are locked in come Friday, right? And today is Wednesday. Every time I was in this situation, this is what I did: go to the teachers whose classes you have bad grades and talk to them and tell them what’s been going on this year and ask them if there’s anything you can do to get to the bare minimum passing. If the teacher with the F says probably not then ask if there’s a way to get to at least a D. Don’t worry about classes you have a C in unless it wouldn’t be too much work because a C is a passing grade so objectively you’re fine there. This will show your teachers that you’re not a ‘failure’ (which I’m betting they already know in the first place, teachers tend to know when a kid is struggling vs when they’re just screwing up, plus I personally think there’s no such thing as a failure of a person) and it will also hopefully let them cut you some slack. It sounds like you’ve had things kinda rough this year, man. If you can communicate that to them, it’ll be to your advantage.

So make that your priority for now: go talk to those teachers and ask them what you can do and tell them a little bit about why you’ve been having trouble with school this year.
Edit: even if you think they’ll say “lmao get fucked, kid” still go try. If they tell you to fet fucked then it’s out of your hands. right now it’s in your hands though, so you have really only something to gain by talking to them.
Fortunately, half of my stress is already over -- the projects that I was dreading have been submitted and I think I'll do well on at least one of them. I've already dealt with this with my geometry teacher, she says we can talk about it later. I'll arrange something with my English teacher tomorrow if possible, but I think I know what the problem is already. It's going to take a lot of work (I have around six multi-page free response worksheets I need to fill out by Friday) but if it's anything to get a passing grade I'll do it.
Also what’s the minimum for keeping your honors classes?
I have no idea, honestly? I'm just trying to not fail to keep them. My classes for next year are already set in stone, I think, and I believe what it boils down to is if your semester/whole-year grades are passing, which I'm 90% sure mine are.

I should stress how helpful your advice has been. Genuinely. It has been seriously reassuring and you're also just really, really fun to talk to. I just want you to know how much I appreciate the fact that you would take time out of your day to type up words for someone silly and stupid like me to read through. A lot of the time I don't respond because these kinds of situations make me shy as hell. But thank you man.

What grade are you finishing this year?

hoylecake said:
Fortunately, half of my stress is already over -- the projects that I was dreading have been submitted and I think I'll do well on at least one of them. I've already dealt with this with my geometry teacher, she says we can talk about it later. I'll arrange something with my English teacher tomorrow if possible, but I think I know what the problem is already. It's going to take a lot of work (I have around six multi-page free response worksheets I need to fill out by Friday) but if it's anything to get a passing grade I'll do it.
Sounds like you have a good solid plan then, man. Be sure to follow up with the geometry teacher and definitely hit up english teacher tomorrow too. If your school lets you email teachers, you might even could go ahead and email them tonight. They probably won't look at it until the morning but they'll see you're actually trying. Good luck with the free response worksheets, man. What are those like? Are they basically sheets of questions where you're free to write sort-of whatever you want as a response?
hoylecake said:
I have no idea, honestly? I'm just trying to not fail to keep them. My classes for next year are already set in stone, I think, and I believe what it boils down to is if your semester/whole-year grades are passing, which I'm 90% sure mine are.

I should stress how helpful your advice has been. Genuinely. It has been seriously reassuring and you're also just really, really fun to talk to. I just want you to know how much I appreciate the fact that you would take time out of your day to type up words for someone silly and stupid like me to read through. A lot of the time I don't respond because these kinds of situations make me shy as hell. But thank you man.
Oh dude if it's whole-year grades then you should be totally okay. Follow through with what you have for the rest of this year and do what all you can by the end of Friday this week, but it sounds like you'll keep them, man. And hey, honestly... even if for some reason you don't take honors courses - hell, even if for some reason you choose not to do honors courses - it's still okay. Honors courses... they look good on college applications, sort of, but look if they ever end up being too stressful... what I'm saying is that there tons of people who never took honors courses and still managed to go to education past high school. I work with them now. Man, schools put too much pressure on high school students to make them think like that high school is the most critical point, which it really isn't. That's not me saying don't try, but that is me saying be forgiving of yourself. Don't worry about that for now though, just focus on here and now and the end of Friday. You'll most likely get it all done, and even if you don't finish it all, still don't beat yourself up for it. After that's over, put it out of your mind on go on to the next thing. Hopefully you'll get a break sometime soon.

And hey, it's no trouble at all, man. Like I said before, I've been exactly where you are so many times in my life. At this point I'm a pro at GPA damage control lmao. I don't mind one bit and as for being shy, that's totally okay too. Don't ever feel pressured or obligated, man. I just like giving my thoughts on this kind of stuff. I like talking to you too, by the way. Also, I re-listened to Incunabula and, man the track Bike is dope.

i didnt even go to highschool and im going to college next fall

Which college are you going to?

the one that costs 0$(community) but i could go to wherever i wanted really. if i tried hard enough i could've gone to harvard. i am just too impoverished

See the edit below. Don’t go to Harvard. Every undergraduate I’ve met from Harvard has been the biggest douchebag narcissist I’ve ever met. I met a group of some in New Orleans during Mardi Gras and then another group of some in Boston. There was one in New Orleans during Mardi Gras who would not stop flirting with me and couldn’t fucking get the message that I wasn’t interested so I eventually told him “Bro, fuck the fuck off, if your only redeeming quality is that you went to Harvard then I’d rather date the guy sitting on cardboard outside of this apartment.”

Edit: don’t listen to me. If you get accepted to Harvard and you can afford it then fucking go to Harvard.

oh i agree. i hate ivy league schools. i think colleges in general are a scam

W_Licky said:
What grade are you finishing this year?

31st

IDK why J-Rob, but I expected you to be older...

37 next month. Pretty old to be puttering around here. Too old

on the topic of school, the funny thing about being in australia is that because our main big break is still in summer but the seasons are reversed, instead of the school year ending now it ends early december and starts in february

bug said:
oh i agree. i hate ivy league schools. i think colleges in general are a scam
No, bad. Bad bug. Colleges are great. All of you should go to college and get at least a bachelor’s degree if you can. But don’t fall into the trap of thinking that you have to go to a “good” school. Community college is still college. I wish I had gone to my to home town’s community college instead of the one I went to. But all of you should go to college because it opens the doors to so many more jobs than you’d imagine.

Edit: if you don’t go to a university, that’s totally okay too, but make sure you do something after high school.

Oops

I've realised that I'm too old to be on this site anymore. This is my final post. Goodbye forever.

New jrob account drop in 3..2..

Do normal people read their sheet music while playing? I only read my music whilst sight reading or when I am learning the piece. While performing or just playing a piece I have learned, I occasionally glance at it as a roadmap between sections of the piece, but that's it. Once I learn a piece I play it from my brain, not the page. Is that weird?

Forum > General Discussion > Your Train of Thoughts