Forum > General Discussion > Bad flags
For all you budding vexillologists out there, Frosty showed me a terrible one today on IRC, and I just hate to think there are more awful flags out there that aren't getting the recognition they deserve.

Brown County, Nebraska (IRL)

Some real belters from Australia:

Brisbane City
Adelaide City
Melbourne City (This is actually inaccurate; the one on wikipedia is modernised and simplified. The real one has an impressively/frustratingly detailed sheep in the left corner)
Sydney

Gotta give a shoutout to San Fransisco's flag. Ew.

Also I've never been fond of my home state Michigan's flag.

What makes a good flag? Here's my state flag I'm curious what you think. I've never seen someone have opinions about flags before now

Pretty, but bad flag.

Flags for counties in Liberia

Flag of the former Fes Boulmane, Morocco. Such clipart, wow.

^is that actually somewhere's flag? You're shittin us, right?

Grayseff said:
Pretty, but bad flag.
That's what I'm wondering though, what makes a good or bad flag? Lol really, first time I've seen opinions about flags. Since you called it pretty, you've actually supplied me with the ability to have an opinion about it. I think it's kinda ugly, I mean, pelican with bleeding titties?

Edit: okay I think I'm starting to see what you mean by good and bad flags.

Fes Boulemane no longer exists, but no, I am not shitting you, alas.

What makes a good flag, in my opinion: clear symbols that can be seen from a distance, since flags are meant to be flown. Distinctive colours. A certain degree of simplicity, as too much detail can obscure the overall design - especially, again, when a flag is being flown.

Here's a segment from the Hello Internet podcast where they talk about state flags.
And here's one where they talk about the afore mentioned Liberian county flags.
I think it's pretty funny how passionately these guys talk about flag design.

I got curious and googled bad flag designs and man some of these are horribly bad.
Provo, Utah
Milwaukee
Lubbock, Texas

It looks like Provo has since changed their flag to something nicer but Lubbock actually used to have a flag that was a lot less gaudy (still wasn't that great but they somehow made it worse)

Harker Heights, TX is the modern Provo flag, honestly. Both look more like corporation logos than flags.

Did anyone post this gem yet?

Zia said:
Fes Boulemane no longer exists, but no, I am not shitting you, alas.

What makes a good flag, in my opinion: clear symbols that can be seen from a distance, since flags are meant to be flown. Distinctive colours. A certain degree of simplicity, as too much detail can obscure the overall design - especially, again, when a flag is being flown.
Lol wow that is a shitty flag. And oh I see now! Yeah in that case Louisiana's flag sucks. I've lived here my whole life and I still can't make out that damn bleeding tits pelican even from up close when it's on a pole.

A lot of the same design principles are extremely applicable to logos, as well. I might use the logo for the Olympics as an example; the symbolism is clear, the design is simple and recognizable from a distance, colours and clear and crisp.

Yea I loved this video. My big rule is if it can't be drawn on a 1.5"/1" scale by a child it's a bad flag.

Zia said:
Harker Heights, TX is the modern Provo flag, honestly. Both look more like corporation logos than flags.

...these don't even look like good corporate logos

Thanks for posting this. It got me thinking more about my local flags and I think I appreciate the flag of Toronto a lot more. It's not the best thing ever, but it could have been a lot worse.

Markham and Ontario needs to get their shit together though. Ontario especially since it's too similar to the Manitoba flag and it could just use the Trillium logo somewhere and it would look decent.

I never said anything about them being *good* :P

My own local flag is extremely disappointing. I am not shocked that I've never actually seen it flown.

EDIT: some quick thoughts on a re-design?

My town's flag breaks from the "seal on a blue field": It's their seal on a white field. Totally different.

Beautiful.

So I'm assuming that's supposed to be the actual flag.

i.e. if it was waving it would look like this

I assumed the black field wasn't supposed to be part of the flag, but that makes it even funnier.

It's a metaflag.

New favourite image

Jest said:
favourite
Heh. You really are becoming a Commonwealther.

Nah, gotta wait two years for that.