Forum > General Discussion > Recurring Nightmares and How to Deal with Them.
Hello this Thread is for people with recurring nightmares or people who can help deal with them. If you have a recurring nightmare that you can't get rid of and it is causing stress or if you just can't figure out why it's happening or what it means this is your place.

I have a recurring nightmare from a traumatic experience in 2010. In the nightmare me and my best friend are in a car together. The driver slams into the car in front of us and my best friend ends up in the hospital in the ICU. Later she ends up dead. This nightmare actually happened and I keep reliving it. I have figured out how to cope with it.

There's my story. What's Yours?

I wouldn't call them 'reoccurring', but I do occasionally get little 'attacks' of nightmares. Like a good three or four days in a row I'll have some terrible dreams. Everything from the 'centipede holocaust' to friends/family disowning/abandoning me/dying to just normal situations with this immense sense of impending doom. It really screws with my sleep schedule, because I usually wake up in the early morning with them and either can't or don't want to go back to sleep. Wouldn't normally be much of an issue, I can go without sleep short-term, but it's always multiple nights in a row. By day four I'm usually pretty emotionally and physically exhausted.
The longest string I've had I think was nine nights with one off in the middle somewhere. Happened winter semester last year, sucked incredibly. I think after a certain point I get so stressed about the nightmares that it just causes more nightmares.

I'd say it doesn't really adversely affect my life, outside of the whole 'Frosty is upset, grumpy, and tired for half a week' thing. I don't really have anxieties about the dreams when they're not happening. I usually don't have trouble falling asleep because of the worry. It's not fun being tense, on edge, and upset for days on end but I usually manage well enough.

I see. If you do need help though I would be willing.

I don't have any recurrent nightmares but sometimes I will also have weeks or months where I have nightmares every night. Sadly there's not much I can do but just suck it up and have them. OR YOU CAN SMOKE SUM DANK ASS WEED BOOOIIII THEN YOU WONT HAVE ANY NIGHTMARES AT ALL it's actually true, smoke weed before you go to sleep and you won't have dreams, this is well documented. Google cannabis and dreams. Disclaimer: does not work for everyone but it most likely will.
Nothing really helps me that much though. The most I can do is just... stop being stressed if that's possible but usually it's not cause stress comes from life things like, school for instance.

^The blank part is entirely true, I almost never remember a full dream and haven't since I graduated high school and started..well you know.

I had this brief period of my life where I got sleep paralysis from sleeping on my back. The hallucinations I got were so fucking vivid and real it made me afraid to go back asleep each night. So many of them were horribly morbid, yet I even had a hallucination where I woke up in my bed like a normal morning, but I still had this feeling of terror and dread. I then realized it was a dream from the few seconds of suffocation (or the feeling of rather) you get when you are about to exit paralysis.

There's nothing good about sleep paralysis unless you can control those dreams/hallucinations. Your brain is just asleep enough to dream, but at the same time it's awake enough to send the "some shit isn't right here" signals that trigger the eeriness and terror you get.

Edit: My bud said after he stopped smoking weedle heavily, that's when he had insane ass dreams every night. More so than he had before it started.

That edit makes me worried. I really did like dreaming though, I even wanted to lucid dream. And then they just stopped, I had an assumption, but I wasn't sure.

That's normal. That's always going to happen to people who do it all the time and stop abruptly. Hence why those who do it on occasion at night tend to not recall dreams at all the next day.

I used to have reoccuring nightmares as a child. There was one in particular where I was running from a giant ball that was about to squish me.
I've also had dreams that seem to..tell the future? One time I dreampt I was at a library looking all over for a specific book, which I eventually found. Then, irl I was on a summer vacation in another state with my cousin and we stopped at the library. As soon as I started looking for the book I had intense deja vu. I decided to look where I had found the book in my dream and skip all the searching...it was there, exactly where it had been in my dream. That really freaked me out, as I'd never been there in my life.

But alas, I don't remember 90% of my dreams now.

My mom gets those. Once she had a specific conversation in a dream with a friend about how to fold a fitted sheet. She had to teach her friend in the dream. She knew afterwards that this was going to happen in real life, so she waited. YEARS later, the conversation played out exactly like the dream.

I have that a lot too. Usually the same kind of mundane crap as the library book dream. I'm glad other people get that stuff because I've always felt pretty weird about it.

Yes quite a few people actually have these dreams and they are quite vivid sometimes. other times they are just a little fuzzy.

I find it disturbing. One time I was standing in front of my sister and mom and we were having a conversation...all of the sudden I felt like I had had the very same talk before. I froze, I couldn't move or speak. But they said exactly what I knew they would for a solid minute or two.

I don't like the feeling at all. I feel very out of place.

I can understand that. Sometimes (sorry if i get a little weird) we open ourselves up to the spirit world as we sleep. when we sleep sometimes spirits speak to us and leave residual energy when they do. In some cases they tell about things that will eventually happen and the feeling we get when we realize this activates the residual energy. Our brain sometimes reacts to this and responds in either fear or dread. Other times the energy sparks excitement or joy. It depends on the person.

What is the spirit world

The spirit world is the place in our world that "ghosts" and other lost souls exist in. sometimes our worlds overlap causing us to experience paranormal encounters. If you want to learn more I have a thread on paranormal encounters as well.

It works exactly like fortune telling. The fortuneteller/your dreams "foretell" vague events. Time passes, making your memory of the prediction vague. Something vaguely similar occurs. Your brain retrieves the vague memory, connects it to the current event, and voila! You remember it like it was yesterday, and the fortune/dream was exactly like it was in reality (even though it wasn't.) It's got to be true, since they/you convinced you that it was going to happen!

Confirmation bias is one hell of a drug.

yeah that's correct.

I actually had a recurring nightmare once upon a time.

Right hand to God, I would dream that I was laying in bed, and I'd look out the window to see dozens upon dozens of Toads quickly crawl over the fence and sprint over to my window. I'd freak the fuck out and run to my door, but as soon as I reached the doorknob, they'd grab me and drag me backwards.

Then I'd wake up.

Even back then at like seven years old, I'd be like, "What the fuck was that and why was I scared in the dream?" But I had that "nightmare" over and over again for a couple weeks.

tc3692 said:
The spirit world is the place in our world that "ghosts" and other lost souls exist in. sometimes our worlds overlap causing us to experience paranormal encounters. If you want to learn more I have a thread on paranormal encounters as well.

I, for one, would love to learn more about paranormal encounters and the spirit world.

I second this

I have a thread in general discussions where this is elaborated on and if you go to it I can explain more.

Edit: I added a little more to the introduction post so it should be clearer.

Lazro said:
It works exactly like fortune telling. The fortuneteller/your dreams "foretell" vague events. Time passes, making your memory of the prediction vague. Something vaguely similar occurs. Your brain retrieves the vague memory, connects it to the current event, and voila! You remember it like it was yesterday, and the fortune/dream was exactly like it was in reality (even though it wasn't.) It's got to be true, since they/you convinced you that it was going to happen!

Confirmation bias is one hell of a drug.

I write down all of my dreams - is this likely to have perhaps a reverse effect of this? I guess I mean where maybe I am looking for the details of what I've written down? Or perhaps because it's written down I notice more coincidental connections that I would completely forget/overlook if it wasn't written down.

Interesting stuff. I don't actually believe in any particularly mystical explanations for having "prophetic" dreams, I'm assume it's something very psychological, I'm just curious as to whether there is a difference in what my brain is doing if I'm writing things down and matching it up to reality rather than dealing with nebulous memories.

It could I guess. I'm not exactly the best person to talk to on that aspect, but from what I hear that is correct.

Forum > General Discussion > Recurring Nightmares and How to Deal with Them.