Forum > General Discussion > Pashion versus Fashion
So I've been lurking and I tried to search for a thread covering a similar topic and I'm sure I didn't try hard enough unfortunately.

Long story short: I sold out. I went where the money is. I make a great salary out of college and I am saving a lot of money. I think most people would literally kill to work where I work and especially to make what I make.

Unforunately, I've realized sitting in a chair for 13.5-15.5 hours (give or take) hurts. And I feel like I've killed my soul picking what was fashionable (and prestigious) instead of what I needed i.e. some soul food.

I guess my first ever thread is two part thread:

1) Is it ever ethical if you have the means to live a normal life doing your passion to sacrifice it for more cash (a lot more cash).

2) And my biggest issue, how do you discover and find what you are most passionate about. I'm out of college but I've never really spent enough time thinking about it. I feel like I can go anywhere and do anything, nothing is impossible, just what? Doctor? Lawyer? Professor? Construction worker? Why have I never solved this question. And the thing I am most afraid of . . . writer.

I think maximizing your happiness is more important than maximizing money. For many people the two are synonymous, but if you don't enjoy making wads of cash and can't find hobbies to salve the empty loneliness of work then you should move on.

Also, count your blessings: you are financially capable of making existential decisions.

I disagree, $$ over everythang.

I can't be happy if I don't have my alcohol, drugs, material items. I need $$ for that.

Shit. Okay so I choose the route of passion (helping people). This makes shit for money and is a lot of hours for not much monetary pay off.
But, I know I am doing something I can feel good about. And while I may not be as "well off" financially, I find cheap things that make me happy. Concerts, traveling, my dog, movies, etc. I save up for those things and I'm happy with that. Do I wish I had more money? Of course. But idk...I'm doing okay.

It's a balance, like everything else. Have enough money to do what you want to do and have a job you don't hate. I wouldn't take a dream job if it meant I'd be in extreme poverty, but I also wouldn't take a ridiculously high paying job that was miserable (mostly... If it was REALLY REALLY high paying, I'd be okay with doing it for a year or two. Then I'd quit and roll around in my cash. Or be smart and invest it, but I mean).

I'm taking the route that lets me have a steady income doing a job I don't love, but also don't hate with the hope that it'll give me the financial stability to pursue things I love as a hobby. I don't think I'm cut out for the "make your passion your work" thing. I'll be happier in the long run if I have stable work and a reliable income. I used to believe that "money isn't everything." I've now come to realize that while money may not buy happiness, it certainly buys food, comfort, stability, assurance and the ability to dissociate the thing you love from extreme financial stress.

I think there's sort of a diminishing returns on more income at a certain point where more income won't make you that much happier. Once you have enough money to do most of the things you need/want to do there's no point in making more. But until that point money matters a lot because it's a matter of survival and meeting basic needs.

Having money's not everything, not having it is.

I have given both approaches a go. My money job is as a management consultant. I earn a lot of money and have incredible flexibility to work as and when I like. I get to travel if I want to and not if I don't. But....helping organisations work more effectively with their vendors is not my passion, shockingly enough.
So last year, I went back and did my Master of Psychology. This year, I started to work in youth and adolescent mental health, something I am amazingly passionate about. But it was horrible. I was unsupported, the entire community health sector is a mess and the kids I was trying to help were being affected by systemic issues far beyond what I could address. I felt useless and like I had no idea what I was doing. So I quit and came back to management consultancy.
In my case, it wasn't so much money versus passion, it was mastery versus passion. I am very, very good at my consultancy work and I found that mastery is actually pretty damn important. I actually rank it above passion as a driver of employee engagement/work satisfaction. Passion, in the absence of efficacy is not very useful.

From Friends:
Ross: I just never think of money as an issue.
Rachel: That's 'cause you have it.

I think there was a study that said that around $75k was the drop-off point where having more money didn't provide extra happiness.

I don't know about y'all but I feel like I'd like to have children one day and have a family. If you have three-five kids (ya know, the usual amount) then you better look for a job that makes a lot of money. You have to give up a lot of freedoms and privileges (such as having a job you love) to raise kids.

Sure, there's more to life than money but there's also more to life than your job or your deep desires and dreams and passions.

Forum > General Discussion > Pashion versus Fashion