ForumGeneral Discussion ► The Car Thread
Hi. Could you help me please? Thinking about buying of new car, it must be the thing with capacious trunk, low price and good parameters, of course. What could you advise? UPD: My friend recommended to puy attention to Maruti Suzuki Ertiga. Does anybody here who drives new model? What do you thing about this car compared to the predecessor?

watch ads. They're more helpful then you think.

watch ads. They're more helpful then you think.

Eh...

...anyway, I would probably recommend a Volkswagen Passat or Golf, depending on how much trunk space you need. They are both pretty nice.

If budget is a concern, you would be best off buying a lightly used vehicle rather than a new one. Having either no or a minimal car payment is quite nice.

Unless you live in Europe, parts for European cars are expensive, and VW golfs in particular are a mission to fix (the engine placement is a nuisance) which usually translates to more pricey mechanic visits.

Plus it's a VW, so I wouldn't buy it unless you're close friends with a mechanic, or else you're going to be. Most Japanese car brands (Honda, Toyota, etc) are crazy reliable.

Yea, I like Nissans and Kias generally: super reliable, cheap parts and Kias usually have a cam chain rather than a belt, so that's one fewer thing to worry about.

I never had expensive repairs in Texas.

Not related to the original post, but I've had some expensive repairs in Texas... >.>
Oddly enough the Volkswagen Beetle cost much more that the BMW repair-wise.

Repeating what Zia said, I would never consider buying a brand new car (even if I won some multi-million dollar lottery). Last year we got our newer bug (2017 with 8,000 miles on it) for about half of the price of when it was new.

What you plan to use the car for also matters a lot. In many cases, it's much more economical to buy an inexpensive car with good gas mileage and simply rent a vehicle if you need to tow something or transport something large.

Say you knock $200 off your car payment by getting a cheap car. Unless you anticipate needing to haul something or transport large things more than once per month, that $200 easily covers renting a U-Haul or similar. If you need to tow a boat once a year, you've still covered renting an SUV or truck for a few days since you've saved a total of $2400 that year at $200/month. Unless you do farm work or something, you'll almost certainly come out ahead with the economy car.

That doesn't just set you at odds with conventional wisdom, parts for European cars are just factually more expensive than Japanese and even American made cars; new European cars usually have stupid rules requiring you to get services at their (expensive) dealerships or void warranties and older ones are usually too obscure or have consistent problems that make repairs outrageous.

Yea a leaky head gasket isn't a BMW specific problem, but only a BMW requires some stupid name brand gasket for twice the price, and only a golf puts half the parts under the engine block to make accessing them frustrating as hell to fix.

^ This is truth.

Yep. I have a buddy with a Merc and he can't even change his own windshield wipers since it requires some special tool that's not commercially available.

Grayseff said:

That doesn't just set you at odds with conventional wisdom, parts for European cars are just factually more expensive than Japanese and even American made cars; new European cars usually have stupid rules requiring you to get services at their (expensive) dealerships or void warranties and older ones are usually too obscure or have consistent problems that make repairs outrageous.

Yea a leaky head gasket isn't a BMW specific problem, but only a BMW requires some stupid name brand gasket for twice the price, and only a golf puts half the parts under the engine block to make accessing them frustrating as hell to fix.

It's factually true that I did not have expensive repairs in Texas.

Cars are expensive.

Forum > General Discussion > The Car Thread