ForumGeneral Discussion ► Your Train of Thoughts
Does it really make things easier when you still don't share business days and hours? Seems to me all you're doing is making terms like "morning, noon and afternoon" more useful than the times they represent.

Dude when 9pm is still sunny and 6am is still dark - favorite time of the year.
Daylight savings doesn't quite work like that here. I think they might as well get rid of it - we're too far north for it to be useful. I grew up in Iceland where there was no daylight savings, probably because in the summer it's bright out 24/7 and in the winter there's like 4-5 hours of sunlight. No amount of time-shifting is going to make that be enough sun in the winter, or make it dark during night in the summer. It does make a bit more of a difference in Sweden (where I now live), but not enough to be useful, in my opinion. Plus it's hard for the cows to adapt to it, so it's a lot of unnecessary work for farmers.

On a completely different topic: I hate rugs when it's time to vacuum. Because stupid rugs need to be vacuumed on both sides and if the rug is ultra stupid the floor underneath it also needs to be vacuumed. So that's 3 times more area than you'd need to vacuum if you just didn't have an ultra-stupid rug and it takes such a freaking long time to do it properly. But I like rugs otherwise, especially in the morning when walking bare-foot. (Also, there are some rugs that aren't that stupid - you don't need to vacuum both sides of all rugs. Just the stupid ones.)

At least you don't have to throw it over a clothesline and beat it with a stick.

What if someone choreographed a dance to 4'33"?

Coldfrost said:
At least you don't have to throw it over a clothesline and beat it with a stick.
OH WAIT. Yes you do! But that's when you get to vent your bottled-up rug-anger.

Man, I wish the air was dry enough for that to work in Louisiana. I would love to beat the shit out of some rugs. Unfortunately, a lot of the shit (lint, dust, animal hair) would just stick to the rug and then you’d just be angrily hitting a rug without something good in the end.

Yep. And if you leave it out for long enough it'll start to smell like mildew.

Yeah, what do you end up doing to clean rugs? I just resort to either not getting rugs, or getting small rugs that try to insist that they're machine washable and dryable.

It's been two years since my dad died. I miss him.

I remember all that going down. I'm sorry, man, I know it's rough.

But for rugs, I just vacuum and Spot Shot the bastards.

Be safe in Mississippi, dude. I’m really hoping it’s not going to be too bad.

Wait, did I miss something? What's happening in Mississippi?

Y’all might get a little bit more fucked rain (I’m just paranoid is all) than us. It keeps changing like every 20-30 minutes, keep an eye on it:
https://my.sfwmd.gov/dbhydroplsql/dbhydro_
web_qry.storm_display

Also:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/south-central-region/satellite

It should make landfall sometime between tomorrow afternoon and Saturday. At least that’s what I’ve been reading. Some math psycho needs to figure out a way to predict weather with 100% accuracy.

Having seen the equation I should tell you now that the simplified weather equation is the literal reason we invented the supercomputer and developed chaos theory.

Good old Navier-Stokes.
and by good i mean bad

Is this math or hieroglyphics?

What kind of insane person doesn't use a Nabla or tensors or SOMETHING to simplify notation? The hell?

All of my professors. I know that equation and had to memorize it.

Oy Vey. And here's the physics department writing Maxwell's equations as one equation for no other reason than to show off.

Medicines to thank both God and man for: aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen (paracetamol), diphenhydramine, epinephrine, atropine, valproic acid, halothane, oxygen, lidocaine, midazolam, diazepam, phenobarbital, penicillin, amoxicillin, vancomycin, erythromycin, methicillin, albendazole, mebendazole, praziquantel, rifampicin, isoniazid...

I’ll probably add to this later.

That one you can thank plants for and
penicillin

that one you can thank Lady Luck for

Nah it took man to isolate oxygen from the air, it took man to isolate penicillin from penicillium . It, arguably, but I’m not going there, took God to cause it all. Think just a metaphor.

Plus penicillin’s antibiotic properties aren’t exactly what we’re thanking god and man for. It’s rather all of the better drugs derived from it and the drugs thought up as replacements for it because of allergies. If you wanna go to luck, you can thank luck for all of it. I mean, you up for a history lesson or several? Those are all really cool medicines, the ones I listed, and their origins are interesting.

Things that happened on accident in general are pretty cool.

We can thank accidents for chocolate chip cookies, ice cream cones, silly putty, Coca-Cola, and the slinky on top of other things that aren't coming to mind. I used to own a book that listed the stories behind them.

Bad internet. Sorry kittens.

In Leu of flowers, please send Catnip

One day I’ll have to post about QSARs. Not too many medicines are made purely on accident anymore.

And you can thank Africa and South America for Coca Cola. There’s the Kola nut from Africa and the Middle East. it has a very distinct flavor. If you can get some online, pretty easy to find, you’ll notice the coke taste. Then there’s coca, you know, the cocaine tree. May or may not have been accidental on upon first being ingested by humans, but definitely became intentional.

Edit: lol I just remembered that Gaddafi gave a really angry speech about America once about how they stole the kola nut and made Coca Cola and insisted that Libya should start making their own brand of soda. Totally not remembering how old the drink was.

Forum > General Discussion > Your Train of Thoughts