ForumGeneral Discussion ► Your Train of Thoughts
i am learning JavaScript rn. I realized earlier today that I know literally nothing about coding besides dragging blocks.

const nounOne = person

function useWords(verbOne) {
return 'The ' + nounOne + ' ' + verbOne + '.'
}

let sentence = useWords(walks)
console.log(sentence)

I haven't used Javascript in a long while, but please tell me that code doesn't actually run

If unknown tokens are automatically parsed as strings in JS, I think I'm just going to never touch it if possible.

Also, why not learn Crayon instead? It's similar syntax but also allows you to make fun games and share them on TCaS!

I may be plugging it because I feel guilty about pestering Blake about the compiler and then never using it
But I also have two games in the works, so that guilt is slowly disappating

Probably just a typo but don't get your hopes up.

oh dang i do have a sytax error in there.

Value of nounOne and the argument to useWords both need quotes because they're meant to be string literals. That's the only blocker.

thanks

larana said:
We spent more than half a year on lockdown :( but now we are getting double donut days. Poor SA though.
Wait I just saw this. What happened in SA (is that South Africa or South Australia the province)?

South Australia. I'm a bit out of the loop but they had had very low numbers but then there was an outbreak (hotel quarantine failed I think?) Just after they started opening their borders back up to other states

Dilemma :

Do I continue to work through the mindfuck that is tying to design an efficient far-from-metal 3D rendering engine for Crayon, so that I can make some nice 3D games?

Or do I just work on actually making a Crayon game in 2D and scrapping the engine project for now?

in my very selfish opinion, I wanna see a 3D engine in crayon, but it is up to you

Kylljoy said:
Dilemma :

Do I continue to work through the mindfuck that is tying to design an efficient far-from-metal 3D rendering engine for Crayon, so that I can make some nice 3D games?

Or do I just work on actually making a Crayon game in 2D and scrapping the engine project for now?

Why shouldn’t you design a 3D engine for a moderately known scripting language created by the same bored webmaster that made stories for a hole-in-the-wall forum?

In other words, this is Twocans, where imaginations run free and everyone can give life to even the most ridiculous and useless ideas.

create the engine and release it for all of us to (ab)use

Anything that's 3D and far-from-metal runs at 30 FPS at best. I did this once...as a joke for Ludum Dare.

The good news is the new UI stuff I'm working on forces all UI to render via JavaScript (Electron for desktop, WebView for Mobile, and vanilla JS for web) and so WebGL is no longer unviable option for me to add 3D support to Crayon.

Blake wtf am I playing? 😂 your games make me happy man.

That was actually really fun. But I broke it already coz my headphones accidentally got yanked out while playing and when I plugged it in, somehow the music stopped.

Blake said:
WebGL is no longer unviable option for me

Well then I'm just going to hold off on this project in case it all turns out for nothing. If 3D is an option going forward, I'd rather work on a game right now than screw around with implementing and optimizing painter's algorithm.

Either that or I can say "screw it" and rush through creating a hacked-together, unoptimized system for running a DOOM ripoff.

I do encourage pushing Crayon to its very limits, but don't do anything redundant.
Spoiler text below. Highlight to read.
Giving Shadow irises was a mistake, if I haven't said so already

Something is weird about the TwoCans registration date on my profile. It says I registered Oct 16th 2010. My oldest question is from Jul 20th 2010 though. And it's not just one stray question. I have questions from July, August, September and October 2nd 2010. I also remember it as having signed up for TwoCans in the summer. I found the site during the most boring summer job ever. I didn't wait for months to sign up after finding the site. I couldn't stay away; I was too curious.

Anybody else have weird discrepancies?

Did you ever have an account on NP?

Forum > General Discussion > Your Train of Thoughts