ForumGeneral Discussion ► Craziest most insane thoughts/ideas
I want to hear the wackiest craziest things this community can think of because I want to see how weird and insane your ideas or thoughts can be!

OK this is insane, but bear with me.

What if everyone meant exactly what they said instead of using veiled language, coded remarks, and sideways hints?

I know. Its crazy to even imagine a world like that.

I think the craziest things are the ones that are true. Like, did you know that there could be a patch of universe that randomly decides it has different rules of physics, creating an expanding bubble of destruction that would destroy everything it encounters at the speed of light? It's an actual possibility as to how the universe will end, which is pretty wild. Physics could literally just stop working and tear everything apart. We'd be dead and we wouldn't even be able to see it coming.

How do we know that's possible?

It has to do with the Higgs field and things we know about the very early universe (like the first 10^-34 seconds of it). Look up vacuum decay for more info. Astrophysicist Katie Mack has a cool book about it that I'm reading. It's all very theoretical, admittedly, but then again, so is most of science. Dark matter and such is also quite bizarre to think about.

eriophora said:
It has to do with the Higgs field and things we know about the very early universe (like the first 10^-34 seconds of it). Look up vacuum decay for more info. Astrophysicist Katie Mack has a cool book about it that I'm reading. It's all very theoretical, admittedly, but then again, so is most of science. Dark matter and such is also quite bizarre to think about.

In Layman's Terms:

Let's put it this way. You know how you can balance a house of cards so it's stable? But if you give it a slight kick of energy it all collapses? We're pretty sure our universe is in a state of "false vaccuum" - basically, even when a place is supposed to be empty, there's still background energy from the universe which is a big no-no. Essentially, we're not at our lowest energy point.

Think of the universe like a hill. We're balanced somewhere on a relative peak of that hill - we're not at the lowest point of energy (which would be the bottom), but we're stable for now. But if something pushes us down the hill...

It's stable right now, but if for whatever reason there's a huge spike in energy - or some idiot decides to try to kick it off themselves - the "house of cards" that is our universe will collapse into a new low-energy state, which will result in essentially the universe "decaying" into a new one where the laws of physics and matter itself might differ to reflect this.

But given the way the universe works and the scales generally used when talking about events of this magnitude, it could take perhaps millions or billions of years for this to happen, if at all. And if it does happen, take comfort in knowing that it would happen so fast, you would barely register it coming for you.

It also depends on whether we are in a false vacuum (which we probably? Who knows! Aren't), the real kicker is that you don't have to resort to high theories about the structure of fields to be wiped out in an unforseeable way.

The universe is populated with high-energy photons. Some objects emit super concentrated beams of these, and they travel at the speed of light. If one hit earth, everyone outside would get a lethal dose of ionising radiation and die painfully, and everyone else would slowly freeze and starve as our atmosphere is reduced to an impenetrable layer of ozone.

KyIIjoy said:
if for whatever reason there's a huge spike in energy

How huge are we talking here?

Put it this way: almost every star in the sky is a non-stop nuclear explosion billions of times more powerful than our most powerful warheads. We're still here.

But yeah, I am in no way an expert, I'm going entirely off memory. Greyseff actually has a degree in this stuff, so any physics questions should be redirected to him for final say.

Ahahaha this is the kinda physics I don't do, what might happen is on shaky ground, I ask far more mundane questions like how things melt.

QFT is a pretty hideous subject, but if we are in a metastable state it's less like the top of a hill and more like a crater halfway down we're "stuck" in. This is called a local minimum and it could be deep enough that we never get to the true vacuum state.

I'm of the mind that we're probably not in a false vacuum given the chances we would stay in it for this long given how many exotic locations there are in the universe, but a high energy physicist could probably persuade me otherwise.

Don't forget quantum tunneling. We could kind of just phase through the hill and start rolling down even without reaching the local peak that keeps us in our crater.

Yea, QFT gets a lot weirder. Strictly speaking you can't just apply the Schrodinger equation to a field.

It so happens that an equation identical to the Schrodinger equation is the correct one for a (nonrelativistic bosonic) Quantum field. It's mindblowing stuff that keeps me up at night and I need to make more time to read higher level QFT, but I also have Condensed Matter physics that is relevant to getting a doctorate and that's hard enough...

OK this is insane, but bear with me.

What if everyone meant exactly what they said instead of using veiled language, coded remarks, and sideways hints?

I know. Its crazy to even imagine a world like that.

lol Definitely sounds far-fetched!

eriophora said:
I think the craziest things are the ones that are true. Like, did you know that there could be a patch of universe that randomly decides it has different rules of physics, creating an expanding bubble of destruction that would destroy everything it encounters at the speed of light? It's an actual possibility as to how the universe will end, which is pretty wild. Physics could literally just stop working and tear everything apart. We'd be dead and we wouldn't even be able to see it coming.

Wow... That's kinda scary yet really really interesting!!

what the fuck did I just stumble upon

Lol

im like actually scared

eriophora said:
Like, did you know that there could be a patch of universe that randomly decides it has different rules of physics, creating an expanding bubble of destruction that would destroy everything it encounters at the speed of light?

Random universe: You know what? Screw gravity. I'm just gonna...

* b w o o m *

It may even have already happened in other parts of the universe that are expanding/moving away from us faster than the speed of light - so it'll never reach us anyway and it doesn't really matter. Who knows!

Forum > General Discussion > Craziest most insane thoughts/ideas