ForumGeneral Discussion ► discuss your pain and suffering here
i feel bad that my life is so easy

like i have it way too easily and other people are straight up suffering and i'm only now coming to terms with that fact now that i'm talking to other people because god was i entitled before

the world is shitty and shitty things happen to good people. even if i'm also a good person, like i just don't wanna feel like i've never had anything bad happen to me.

not that i'm wishing misfortune on myself. i just don't like knowing that i've never had anything genuinely bad happen to me. only to the people around me. and then i also lack sympathy so i can't even feel bad for them either :/

Develop a drug addiction or run into a wall. You can definitely catch up.

If it wasn’t apparent, what I was getting at is be thankful nothing you consider terrible has happened to you.

You know, I found that getting cancer just made me a harsher, less sympathetic person. I had a lot less time for other peoples' problems when I was trying to figure out how to juggle treatment and law school. I don't think it made me more understanding or well-rounded. I think it just made me bitter and unable to produce thyroid hormone. I don't feel grateful to be cancer-free. Perhaps it was because my cancer was relatively trivial and I'm not that nice a person in the first place?

i am! i just feel guilty as well, which is a feeling i'm constantly trying to shake.

I've learnt a lot of things the hard way. People value sacrifice and suffering as a concept, but really don't value the acts themselves. They view it (rightly) as a boring inconvenience to struggle and earn things the hard way, but love the montage version where you tell an encore-worthy story.

Being a good person is not the unique domain of hard-working strugglers, nor the privileged and well educated. It's a conscious choice. Don't feel bad for not having to struggle, I wouldn't wish homelessness, addiction, unplanned parenthood, cancer or hardship on anyone.

You know, I found that getting cancer just made me a harsher, less sympathetic person. I had a lot less time for other peoples' problems when I was trying to figure out how to juggle treatment and law school. I don't think it made me more understanding or well-rounded. I think it just made me bitter and unable to produce thyroid hormone. I don't feel grateful to be cancer-free. Perhaps it was because my cancer was relatively trivial and I'm not that nice a person in the first place?

Thyroid cancer? Did you have a thyroidectomy

I had two, actually. They originally biopsied my tumour and it looked benign, so they only took out the half with the tumour in it. Then they opened it up or whatever and learned it was, in fact, cancer. So, as a precaution, because my tumour was 5 cm, they took out the second half of my thyroid. Bit of a shame; it had no cancer, so if I'd just left it, I wouldn't need to be on medication for the rest of my life. But, whatever, can't complain. So I had two thyroidectomies and a single radiation treatment. No chemo. Thyroid cancer is special that way. The radiation made me lose my sense of taste for a while. That was neat.

i just don't like knowing that i've never had anything genuinely bad happen to me

Do you feel left out when someone is telling a story about their own troubles?

no. just guilty that i act the way i do despite being so privileged already. its like my actions are taking for granted everything i already have, if that makes sense.

i dont know if humbling is the right word

I had two, actually. They originally biopsied my tumour and it looked benign, so they only took out the half with the tumour in it. Then they opened it up or whatever and learned it was, in fact, cancer. So, as a precaution, because my tumour was 5 cm, they took out the second half of my thyroid. Bit of a shame; it had no cancer, so if I'd just left it, I wouldn't need to be on medication for the rest of my life. But, whatever, can't complain. So I had two thyroidectomies and a single radiation treatment. No chemo. Thyroid cancer is special that way. The radiation made me lose my sense of taste for a while. That was neat.

I don't have a thyroid either. There were 5 golf ball sized nodules on my thyroid that were crushing my throat. Luckily it wasn't cancer. Unfortunately, they got one of my parathyroid glands and I have to take medications round the clock. It was hard at first but its not so bad now. Especially now that i have worked to get my thyroid levels better. And I take zinc And selenium so that my liver can turn that t4 into t3

Was your recovery painful? They said mine was more painful because of how long it took them to remove everything.

It's sad and also interesting how we have gone through something similar.

I was lucky with my surgeries. They didn't clip any of my parathyroid - or destroy my voice, which was apparently a concern. I've had 9 surgeries under full anaesthesia (that's typically how I count them in my mind). I'd rate the thyroidectomies like 2/9, surgery pain-wise. I don't actually remember them much, which means they weren't that bad. They were one of the fastest I was able to recover from. Now, getting my tonsils out and vomiting bile through my stitches eight times per day until I lost my voice for a while? That was painful.

I found once I got my thyroid out, I was constantly running into other people who'd had thyroid surgeries. Baader-Meinhof, I suppose.

I've only ran into one other person here. I can't sing very well anymore. I sound like a goat, but I can still speak.

That's very unlucky. My condolences.

Fun fact about anesthesia! If you don't remember it, that's because they had to use a bunch of high powered meds.

What?

In order for you not to remember what happened, they had to use a high powered med due to the extreme pain you would undoubtedly feel.

I see you share Titanlord's sense of humour.

I'm telling you...

I see you share Titanlord's sense of humour.

How so?

Stating incredibly obvious facts.

Ah yes. But my dad is a nurseinestitest (horibol spelin) so he has explained a lot of stuff to me.

Samsung23 said:
nurseinestitest (horibol spelin)

Can someone translate this word for me?

Nurse that does anesthesia

Well it's definitely "horrible spelling" at the end. The first word I'm unsure on. Nurse anesthetist?

Edit: yes, seems to be "nurse anesthetist."

neurogeneticist?

Edit: I tried.

Forum > General Discussion > discuss your pain and suffering here