ForumGeneral Discussion ► Your Train of Thoughts
"When I'm terrifying"?

I thought you're supposed to use katakana when using foreign words?

Kylljoy said:
The PSAT is not something you should worry over. The only thing you can get from is is National Merit, and that's pretty much it.

The whole point of the PSAT is to know what you need to focus on come the real thing.

also, a handful of colleges are going test blind for this year at least

Macbeth is really getting interesting when I take the time to define some of the hard words. With definitions, I can understand most of the text, so it's like reading a normal book.

Lady Macbeth is really good at this manipulation stuff; she manages to fake herself fainting.

There's a reason most Shakespeare publications nowadays have like half the book be footnotes and translations. So much pop culture. So much language shift.

I may have mentioned this before but one time in ninth grade we spent probably a majority of our English class explaining a sex joke in Romeo and Juliet. I feel like that was a really valuable class period.

We giggled at times when we read Romeo and Juliet in eighth grade honors English I.

I still remember when we were studying A Midsummer Night's Dream in grade 9, that there was lots of innuendo that only I managed to get and laughed at. It was pretty embarrassing, but hey, for a project later that modernized a section of a play, I squeezed in some sex jokes, somehow got away with them, and pulled out an A+.

I remember laughing at something about "Sweet meats".

I squeezed in some sex jokes, somehow got away with them, and pulled out an A+.
You would not believe how many sex jokes Shakespeare included. The play Much Ado About Nothing? 'Nothing' was slang term for 'vagina' back then.

I've been running a series of "which digit ID the best digit" questions on q/a and every single winner so far has been even.

I'm gonna use SparkNotes at home to better understand Shakespeare's text so I can one, understand the story, and two, better understand Shakespeare's language. Just used it to compare the original text and modern text.

Not gonna use it at school tho. Teachers can see everybody's screens and if she sees us in sparknotes, it's an automatic zero. And I'd like to keep my A's.

It makes me really grumpy that spark notes are disallowed in that way. Shakespearean text isn't easily understood by everyone and having a means to better understand it is, you know, helpful. I understand a restriction on plagiarism; that's all good. But people need to be able to use the tools that help them.

It's almost like school is trying to make everything even more difficult than it already is.

Jest said:
It makes me really grumpy that spark notes are disallowed in that way. Shakespearean text isn't easily understood by everyone and having a means to better understand it is, you know, helpful. I understand a restriction on plagiarism; that's all good. But people need to be able to use the tools that help them.

So technically I'm cheating, but I don't care. I'm learning to understand Shakespearean text, so I'm gonna use it.

For every "Mayhaps", there is an equal and opposite "Perbe".

Blake did a thing. Call me Doll 🥰

Wild, I think you changed your acct before I even got here.

e-bag said:
It's almost like school is trying to make everything even more difficult than it already is.

You mean that schools only seek to increase their competitiveness in order to produce high-performing candidates that get accepted into good schools, thereby improving their desirability in attendance and indirectly increasing funding?

Color me shocked.

kukolka said:
Blake did a thing. Call me Doll 🥰

did the site break while I was gone?

ecr674 said:
Wild, I think you changed your acct before I even got here.

As a timeline I think it would be:

kukolka 1.0 (now Jest)
Est. Feb 10th, 2010

[HIATUS]

Catharsis [wibbly wobbly semi-hiatus time]
Est. Apr 16th, 2012

[ecr674 joins TCAS Apr 25th, 2012]

Jest (now 2.0 of kukolka)
Est. Nov 6th, 2012

Idk it sounds like your schools are studying Shakespeare for the wrong reasons ie. What sounds good to parents and board members, not what's pedagogically sound. Definitely not how I would approach it.

My sister came home :D

I haven't seen her in like a year.

that's awesome

Nice to see you TL

Forum > General Discussion > Your Train of Thoughts