ForumHobbies ► Metroid-Vanias
this is a thread to talk about games in the Metroid-Vania genre, such as Metroid, Castlevania, hollow knight, and others of the sort.

The whole metroid prime trilogy is amazing. Flat out amazing. It’ll never get old no matter what console I play them on. I have a Nintendo Wii that I almost only use for the metroid prime trilogy disk. Every time I visit my parents, I play it at night.

i haven't gotten around to playing prime, but I play a lot of classic style metroid-vanias, such as "super metroid", or, as I mentioned above, the ever amazing "Hollow Knight".

Recently really got into this genre when I bought Hollow Knight. Great game. In the mean time I also have been playing Blasphemous and have had my eyes on a few other games.

metroidvania's can be a bit hard to get into, but once you do, they are a lot of fun.

I've always been a huge fan of Cave Story.

i've wanted cave story for a while

Treasure Adventure Game

Extra Mario Bros.

extra mario bros? what's that?

It's a ROM hack of Super Mario Bros. that changes nearly everything. It's SMB1 mixed with Super Metroid and whatever you think that means, this is even better. Try it!

You'll need the original SMB game file, a patcher (Lunar IPS is easy, just keep in mind it patches in-place so take a backup if you still want the original base file.) and of course a NES emulator (BizHawk is the shiniest).

Oh, so kinda like this speedrun.

I've watched that dual randomizer before, it was a blast.

Well...no, it's a single game. The look and sound and theme and overall feel are a smooth mashup of SMB1 and Super Metroid. I heard of Extra Mario Bros. from seeing a TAS published (which I put off watching until I had played the game myself). I highly recommend trying it out because it's fun, and I would like to direct further inquiries to the game itself because it's hard to do it justice in an explanation : )

I've been a fan of the genre for a long, long time, and Hollow Knight really sort of scratched that itch for me. Glad to see it's getting bigger recognition. Also just a beautiful game in general.

If you wanna talk beautiful we’re getting into ori.

Eh while ori is beautiful, something about the art didn't quite click with me. It's probably because I ran into more than a few visual glitches

Edit: the first one at least, have not played the second one

Forum > Hobbies > Metroid-Vanias