ForumHobbies ► Complain About Your Instruments
this is more like a "lets talk about being a musician" type of thread, but complaining about how violas are shitty instruments also works too

im allowed to say this because i play viola

Pianos take up a lot of space and I can't afford one of my own yet. Blah.

our school wont even teach piano because of that

i tried to get into guitar for years but it's just too hard for me. it's a lot less of a social experience than the instument i used to play. music used to be a way of self expression, of connecting with people. guitar is just all technical and pain with 0 reward. it took me this long to realize im not getting anything out of it but im just going to quit.

actually getting a little into piano muself tho so that's fun. like if im gonna be isolated and play introspective music piano > guitar, it's so obvious i have no idea how it took me 6 years to realize

I would consider coming back to guitar. You can play introspectively on it in solitude and its quite nice.

I've put too much pressure on myself to get good at guitar for it to ever actually be fun again. Knowing I'll never be some piano virtuoso actually makes it a little more welcoming

Oh geez, where do I even begin... Basically I've spent the last decade being a jack of all trades trumpet player in order to maximize gig potential, being very busy playing everything from Baroque solos to symphony orchestra stuff to musicals to soul horn band stuff, et cetera. Anyway, since COVID started I've had only a handful of gigs in the last year, and I've found it really hard to keep my chops up in so many different areas all by myself. It's just a severe lack of motivation, and the realization that playing with other musicians is what honestly motivates me. So now I have this showcase this week with a band that plays "music my dad likes," basically, and I'm trying to at least practice my fundamentals every day, but it's rough.

My dream used to be to have a life like that with flute(/pit woodwinds). Hearing how tough it is for musicians in the pandemic almost feels like the path I went down instead was okay. I have some sort of predisposition for addiction and breakdowns and if I actually got somewhere in life and didn't break down until the pandemic it would've been devastating to lose everything. This was just a continuation of the void for me

Former trumpet here that stopped playing after high school, mainly since I was using their instruments and the cost of one was prohibitively high at the time.
These days I could get one but, current living situations would make practice difficult, especially with covid. But I really have been missing it recently. Concert band/orchestra was always amazing.

My breath capacity's gone to utter crap with the lack of choral singing. I really miss it.

I feel that except my lungs are going to shit because I smoke a lot of weed because of escapism

Quarantine and the lack of playing in a big group has really killed my motivation to practice. I've got a few instruments I haven't touched in weeks, and I haven't made new reeds in a really long time, which (somewhat unfortunately) is a pretty important part of being a bassoonist.

Feels like a lack kf existing

I feel that except my lungs are going to shit because I smoke a lot of weed because of escapism

Same tho, I had a feeling that broccoli was conspicuous lol.

Conspicuous and cruciferous.

I'll nourish you whether you like it or not

Wait bassoonists make their own reeds?

I mean, you don't have to, but once you get to a certain level basically everyone does. Sometimes it feels pretty cool, but sometimes it's just a chore.

I used to play cello, but now the sound of any bowed instrument grates against my ears like a cheese grater to my soul

am I allowed to send you a video of my shitty viola playing

You are allowed to but I cannot guarantee that my volume will be turned on.

I'll take it if aprzn doesn't want it and I do have volume.

i play a lot of piano. recently i've been trying to play more VGM, like the pokemon league (night) theme.

PoikiChoi said:
this is more like a "lets talk about being a musician" type of thread, but complaining about how violas are shitty instruments also works too

im allowed to say this because i play viola

i play viola, and i currently kinda suck at it.

my fucking piano doesn't like me, nor does my viola.
still wonder why I haven't quit piano after 5 years....

Forum > Hobbies > Complain About Your Instruments