ForumHobbies ► Team Fortress 2
Does anyone else here play the glory that is the best online multiplayer war-themed hat simulator?

I play on xbox, so no hats.

I think I've killed you a few times, or does your name coincide with that of a TF2 bot?

It's what I'm playing at the moment. I'm 'Professor Nutbutter' although it's unlikely that anyone here will see me due to geographical differences.
So what are your favourite classes? Mine are sniper, solly and medic c:

I've played the most as engineer, specially after the update and the gunslinger. But I'd say I'm currently maining as a soldier.

unaligned said:
I think I've killed you a few times, or does your name coincide with that of a TF2 bot?

It does. That's where it came from, actually. I sometimes play with it, but I mainly use SmashedFish.

As for classes, I play Medic, Pyro, and Demo a lot. I'm also trying Scout a lot more recently.

Anyone have any cool/useful/unique loadouts? Mine can be found here, but disregard my Soldier and Pyro layouts and pretend I have my Crossbow on my Medic.

I usually play as engie or soldier. I've been using Heavy a lot recently though.

I find that those are my least played classes, funnily enough.

I mentally associate playing Engineer with guarding the Intelligence on 2fort, something which I can't do for more that ten minutes at a time. It's too boring. On the other hand, playing Engineer in a busy environment that the enemy visits often is too... stressful (I guess) for me, as I try too hard to play as well as possible and keep all my stuff alive. Next thing you know, it explodes, I get stabbed by a Frenchman, and I find myself back at the class selection screen.

Soldier is a fun and familiar class, sure enough, as it's the class officially used in the game's Training Mode (which if you don't know about because you play on the Xbox, involves some basic tips about weapon switching, etc., some target practice, and then a game of Dustbowl with bots to get a feel of how things flow ingame). However, because it's the first class you get a feel of playing, it feels kinda bland to me. I don't like his weapons that much, either.

His default rocket launcher has good range, accuracy, and splash damage, but no speed. The Direct Hit answers my speed complaint and adds more power, but it looses most of its splash, and because of that, it doesn't feel much like a rocket launcher anymore. The Black Box has a lower clip and is therefore right out.
The shotgun is a decent weapon, sure, but it offers no special purpose, unlike the other unlocks for its slot. The Buff Banner allows your rocket spam to eventually become useful by unleashing a crit boost, but you have to save up damage for a while and stay near health to get it, and then some Sniper comes along and vents your skull, rendering the effort useless. The Battalion's Backup charges by getting hurt, and therefore requires constant health, which is rare to find. The Gunboats make health lost by rocket jumping nearly trivial, but I don't rocket jump enough to warrant their use anyway, and the slot taken up by them could be used for a shotgun/banner. I have no opinion on the new banner (The Concheror) yet.
As for his melees, the shovel is decent, but it shares stats with 6 other default melee weapons and is therefore nothing special. The Equalizer I like, however. It provides a necessary speed boost when you're low on health so you can go find more health laying around. The damage boost is nice, too, but it requires you to get within melee range of people who probably have more health than you. I don't have the Half-Zatoishi as of yet and IMO it's overpowered anyway.

The Heavy is probably the class that you play a lot that I like the most. I don't often play him due to his speed and how much I like playing the classes that I like playing. When I do, though, I enjoy running around, ravaging the countryside with bullets. It's simple and fun.

TL;DR: Engineer is too boring/stressful, Soldier's weapons aren't fun, and Heavy's good but I don't play him too often because I'm too busy playing other classes.

I find that playing engineer is either too boring (once, on a 2fort game, I had a nine-minute life with no kills as engineer because nobody bothered to get the intelligence) or too stressful (i.e. you build some stuff and it gets blown up right away), but I'm a bit of a n00b (I've only had the game for a few weeks) so I guess I'll come round to it eventually.
On the other hand, I love ambushing as pyro. Right now I'm getting the hang of using the flamethrower's deflection blast.

Where did you build your sentry in that life, Hob?

What's everyone's favorite map? I originally played almost all my games on 2Fort, but I've since started playing mostly Dustbowl.

We already had a couple of engineers setting up sentries in the tunnels and in our base, so I decided to put mine next to the intelligence... but it's kind of boring when it's one of those games where everyone just wants to kill each other and nobody cares about capturing the intelligence :p
Hmm... my favourite map for payload is probably badwater or hoodoo, and for capture point probably dustbowl. Unfortunately I never get to play a lot of maps like well or hydro because of the odd times I'm online.

I like Dustbowl, Badlands, Turbine, Gravel Pit, Hightower and DeGroot Keep, but I grew up in 2fort and I can't separate myself from there for long.

hobbaloo said:
We already had a couple of engineers setting up sentries in the tunnels and in our base, so I decided to put mine next to the intelligence... but it's kind of boring when it's one of those games where everyone just wants to kill each other and nobody cares about capturing the intelligence :p
Hmm... my favourite map for payload is probably badwater or hoodoo, and for capture point probably dustbowl. Unfortunately I never get to play a lot of maps like well or hydro because of the odd times I'm online.

That's probably why. Enemies were probably getting killed by their sentries and your team mates before they got to the intel.

You guys' placement mini-discussion has made me remember a common question of mine. Has anyone used or seen any really creative building placement spots?

Call up a friend (proper communication is key), go to 2 fort, one with the gunslinger, the other with the regular wrench (more versatility to make your way to the enemy intelingence room without dying), build 2 teleporters on different spots in your base (to avoid spies from destroying both entrances)... that both go to the sentrified enemy inteligence room.

Lots of WTF'ing from enemies and allies alike, when the allies take the teleporter and realize they're in the enemy intel room and when the enemy is going to cap but gets blown to bits. Fun games I've had...

I've done that before. It pisses people off.

Ah, yes. I love it when the enemy forgets whose intel they're supposed to be guarding. It's fun when they're all engineers; simply disguise as an Engineer yourself, take out your currently equipped knife, press B (by default; press whatever you have bound to lastdisguise or type it into the console), take out your Dead Ringer, get shot by a Sentry, head over to a Dispenser, uncloak, take out the Sapper, and raise merry hell upon their fortifications. Since your disguise is holding its wrench, this can last quite a while. Just make sure you don't get hit by a Southern Hospitality or ignited. You might want to leave the enemy with a single Dispenser to recharge your health in case of either constant damage dealer or spychecking. Alternatively, if on fire, wait a few seconds and hit the Ringer, then run.

I play both xBox and Steam. I prefer xBox. Too many overpowered Soldiers and Scouts on Steam. xBox is both fun and terrible.

Red team really has the advantage...Or at least on 2Fort.

What are your guys' favourite kills?
Mine was probably when we were defending on Goldrush at the very end of a payload match, and I got a surprise revenge kill from an errant arrow shot into a tunnel just for shits and giggles.

Oh my God, I love the Huntsman. I was attacking Gravel Pit a while ago and I shot off three random arrows at some people who were higher than me. They all made kills, and I got two headshots.

Oh yay! A thread!
I love being a spy, pyro, or a demoman!
KAbeeenn!
But I have most time as a pyro because it's fun to rush in the badlands arena server I always play.
That, and I wish I had the sticky jumper for the demoman.

Yeah, everyone wants the Sticky Jumper. It's ridiculously hard to craft, though.

Also, arena Badlands? Funnily enough, CP Badlands is one of my favorites but I kinda dislike the Arena version.

The xbox version doesn't have any of theses things. Stupid Microsoft.

Officially, that's because of size limitations and whatnot. Valve had originally planned to release at least the Medic update and then maybe other updates as buyable DLC (buying it nets it for you, I guess?) but then they claimed lack of memory. I'm pretty sure it was so they could get back to giving us PC players updates, myself.

Oh yeah, has anyone tried koth_aperture_science yet? There's a lot of hate for it (especially for that damn instakill energy ball) but all in all I think it's pretty decent.

I've heard it's because Microsoft won't let them release it without making people pay, and they don't want to make people pay.

Forum > Hobbies > Team Fortress 2