ForumHobbies ► Dark Souls
I thought it was pretty strange that there wasn't a topic for this yet. Who else plays?

I love Dark Souls. I've decided to try to get all achievments on PC. Not really that hard, but I want it done. The ones I've got left are get all sorceries, miracles and rare weapons.

Goddamn fucking Crystal Cave and its slippery invisible crystals. Impossible to do anything with relative speed there.

Also, True Greatsword of Artorias; Y/N? I figure that, given the C/C/B/B scaling, it might get ridiculous fast on some kind of glass cannon build.

It's not worth it unless you're going to stick with the character for a long time. It will eventually get great AR but the stats required for it are extremely high. You're better off with a Claymore, TBH. It's lighter, got a better moveset, buffable, and it doesn't rely on INT and FTH.

It's not a bad weapon, but you kinda need to make a build around that weapon. Also crystal cave isn't that bad if you're just going to the boss. It's mostly just straight ahead.

I've done a million and one playthroughs; I know the Claymore inside and out. Sif's weapons are a bit more exotic. I'm already doing a run with the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias, and it's going spectacularly. I figure that I could use the exact same build for the True with the offensive stats reversed (18/18/40/40 instead of 40/40/18/18)

Also I'm a chump who has difficulty running STRAIGHT forwards as opposed to forwards with a very slight lean to the left or right, meaning I KEEP FALLING OFF THESE GODDAMN CRYSTALS

Honestly you're probably better off just taking that character to NG+ and switching over after a few playthroughs.

Pfffft, you stop at ~SL130. Game's balanced around that. Going any higher breaks the game like having infinite fire flowers breaks Mario games.

Plus, the higher your stats go, the closer you get to THE BUILD. Full Havel's, dark magic, the like. Terrible. Boring. Broken.

You go NG++ for Knight's Honor, NG+ for an ending cheevo and Gwyn's soul, NG+++++++++ for MAX DIFFICULTY.

like having infinite fire flowers breaks Mario games.

There's not much to "break" when it comes to games aimed towards children. And with the newest Mario game, the white Tanooki Suit it a better fit for "game breaking" status.

I've been wanting to play Dark Souls myself, and will probably pick it up after I get my new laptop. Any tips regarding weapons/loadouts? I'm well experienced in steep difficulty curves, mind you. Hate to bring it up again and again, but Monster Hunter is no joke.

You say Mario games are for children, but go play the realario 2 and come back. We'll see if you're singing the same tune.

Souls is probably my favourite series of all time. To begin;

Never level resistance. At all.
Stats cap at 40. Don't go higher.
Don't level above 130. 100-120 is the accepted level cap.
Don't kill any NPCs. They all have unique stories to tell. And will kick your ass if you try.
Don't use a guide. EVER. It ruins the fun like spoiling the end of a movie or book.
Kill the dogs first.
From Firelink Shrine, go up towards the aqueduct. Skeletons are bad news. Ghosts too.
Your starting class really doesn't matter.
Make sure you can roll to dodge hits. Some things can't be blocked.
Check the Character Status screen for your equip load; never EVER go over half of that.
Don't give up, ever. It doesn't matter if you just lost 50 humanity and 1mil souls, you CAN get that back. Beating a boss after 4 days and hundreds of tries is not only normal, but utterly exhilarating.
Don't use the Knight Shield, it's too heavy for the stats it offers
If a Black Knight drops its weapon for you, don't use it. You just got very very lucky, and that weapon will destroy anything resembling difficulty.
Same goes for the Titanite Catch Pole.
Upgrading your gear is more important than upgrading your stats.
Explore everywhere. Leave no stoneunturned, even if it kills you. A lot.
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.
Use your environment to your advantage.
Pay attention to your environment. Death may come from any direction.
Go human and summon as a last resort. There are players who wish to help you, but far more simply relish ripping the humanity from your corpse.
Take a lesson from Adam and Eve; never trust a snake.
Forgiveness off rewards better than vengeance. Mercy is a generous patron.
If they threaten you, take it seriously. End them.

NG+ is balanced for around that level, yeah. Each subsequent playthrough isn't though. You're not expected to stop leveling for PvE. Enemies keep getting more and more health/damage/souls as you go through each playthrough, so you're clearly intended to keep leveling. If you've seen someone fighting Four Kings on NG+7 at SL125, it's absurdly brutal.

You say Mario games are for children, but go play the realario 2 and come back. We'll see if you're singing the same tune.

?

Thanks! A few of those points are already noted from some gameplay videos, and my experiences in Monster Hunter. For reference, I take down monsters meant for 4 people easily by myself. I've got the health/stamina mitigation down, and my game play style is cautious when lacking experience, so my only real concern is finding the right loadout that best emulates Monster Hunter.
And to touch on the summoning function, I much prefer to play alone, at the cost of time and resources.

I know it's a different kind of beast to tackle, but based on a few encounters with people who play both MonHun and DS, there is some carryover skill to be had.

The two most important skills are dodging and stamina management, by the way. Keeping your weight under 25% of your equip load will give you the best roll, and you are invincible while you are rolling.

Like with Monster Hunter. Though, how long are the invincibility frames?

The best roll has 12 frames of invincibility and another 12 recovery frames.

The Super Mario Bros 2. that was released to American audiences is actually different from the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2, which are referred to as the Lost Levels here in the USA. Upon playtesting at Nintendo of America of the Japanese version, it was deemed too hard, and dumbed down in order to avoid tarnishing the Super Mario franchise. However, the Lost Levels were included as part of the Super Mario All-Stars game pack, which can be played online here.

So 24 frames, half the time invincible? What's the practicality in that application? As in, how long would it take to achieve that, and what would it require equipment-wise?

Monster Hunter has 36 frames a roll, with the first 6 being the invincible ones.(I suggest increasing the play speed, as he talk a little slow.) That is what I work with. Generally, I try for +2 for the evasion skills, but half the time I can't even have +1 on there, so I'm always rollin' with sixes.

This is what I'm capable of in terms of skill. It's certainly a brag, but something I'm proud of. (Not my vid, just similar circumstance.)

Lazro said:
...and dumbed down in order to avoid tarnishing the Super Mario franchise.

I stand by my point on this, and the basis that this is one instance.

Brendan said:
NG+ is balanced for around that level, yeah. Each subsequent playthrough isn't though. You're not expected to stop leveling for PvE. Enemies keep getting more and more health/damage/souls as you go through each playthrough, so you're clearly intended to keep leveling. If you've seen someone fighting Four Kings on NG+7 at SL125, it's absurdly brutal.

Nah, NG+X is balanced around SL100-120, as long as you have a viable build. I HAVE fought lmao 4kings at NG+9; it's just as easy as the first time around; the difference is you should have a VERY solid grasp on mechanics, good reflexes and just generally know what you're doing.

This was with a +5 Black Knight Greatsword, SL115 Strength/Pyro build, by the by. Nothing crazy like some kind of minmaxed-to-hell DMB Ricards Power Within Red Tearstone Ring build.

So 24 frames, half the time invincible? What's the practicality in that application? As in, how long would it take to achieve that, and what would it require equipment-wise?

Monster Hunter has 36 frames a roll, with the first 6 being the invincible ones.(I suggest increasing the play speed, as he talk a little slow.) That is what I work with. Generally, I try for +2 for the evasion skills, but half the time I can't even have +1 on there, so I'm always rollin' with sixes.

Practicality is that it lets you dodge stuff that would kill you. That's very nice.
Rolling frames and such are determined by the weight of your equipment; there isn't any stat or anything. Staying under 25% load and under gets you a fast roll with nice frames and quick recovery. 50% and under gets you a medium roll that's sort of like your Monster Hunter roll. It's serviceable, I guess. Over 50% gets you a "fat roll", which is honestly more of a negative than a poisitive; very few iframes, a LOT of recovery frames where you take BONUS DAMAGE. Fun stuff. Finally, being over 100% makes you a sitting duck unable to move past a snail's pace and completely unable to roll.

Oh, and this reminds me; Monster Hunter skills are incredibly transferable in one particular sense; tails are best severed cold.

Aww come on, you know I know the practicality of dodging. Even tongue-in-cheek that's poking a bit too much at my competence.

So hoarding is not a good idea. So in terms of evasion, I only have to worry about telegraphing and keeping my weight down.
Can you sell equipment?

I'll keep that in mind.

All that matters is what you have equipped. You can have as much as you want in your inventory.

The best thing about the i-frames is using your dodge to avoid attacks that should be unavoidable. Rolling through large area of effect attacks, for example.

Ooooooh. I see...

Where do I sign?

I just want to say that unless you're doing pvp, you can do ng, ng+, ng+X whatever on level 1, or level 500 and it's fine. It doesn't matter.

Dark Souls destroys my life. At a very consistent 10 times an hour ratio whenever I play.

(Yupyup, I suck. Still can't get past the dark knight just before the second boss.)

Here's the trick to deal with the knight. You sneak up on him, backstab him, then stand there, when he stands up, you parry, riposte, and repeat. Also, the first time I dealt with him, I tried to roll of the bridge, the one on your left from the bonfire, it has a hole in it, and you can make the jump down to the treasure he's guarding. It took me some time before I stuck the landing, but it's one way to do it.

You parry, riposte, and repeat.
I have the worst timing in games. If I could do this, I'd have easily dealt with this fucker long ago.

Forum > Hobbies > Dark Souls