ForumIntroductions ► I'm back; Is this a Brave New World?
Folks, I'm tired. Maybe I'm old. I remember the books I used to read in school, like Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 481, Animal Farm, and the rest. Do you remember those? The ones where the TV watches you, the ones in which people take Soma every day to stay medicated and happy, the ones where thought crime is punishable, just like real crime?

12.6% of the US population over age 12 took antidepressant medication last month.

You likely carry a speaker for most of your waking hours. Yes, even if it's an iPhone. Oh, you have a flip phone? How about all the people around you?

Maybe your doorbell works with the police.

You know those cameras on police cars in the US? They're license plate readers. Most any camera works as a license plate reader, with some easily-licensed software.

I don't think I need to keep going with the evidence. I think this is it; we're there. It's not the government, it's business. I don't know what to do about it, and I don't reasonably know how to fix it. I don't even think I want to be saved from it. I guess this is how it happens.

In case anyone remembers me from before, hi. I missed this site. I hate what Reddit, Slashdot, and most of the other forums I know of have become in reference to the corporate surveillance and thought control situation. You guys were always great. I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm happy that you collectively still exist, and I'm happy Blake has kept up the site. I'll be around.

xenarian said:
I think this is it; we're there. It's not the government, it's business.

Yeah. Unfortunately.

Huh. I logged out and looked at my post, and I noticed that I have a yellow and a green circle at the bottom of my post. What is that?

Edit: Cool, they're reward dots for something. Nifty.

Ohey I remember you. You were in the US Army for a bit right? Yea as for how shitty the world is getting, yea, it's not great.

All I know, is people have been decrying moral decay and the end of the world since time began.
Yeah, there are some things that are less than ideal. But Polio is almost gone, we have endless free information at our fingertips, literacy rates have never been higher, and life expectancy, maternal mortality, etc are all still seeing leaps and bounds in progress.
The future isn't such a terrible place, compared to the past. Welcome back! Hope you stick around.

Oh shit, hey. Long time no see. I was formerly RainingOnYourParade, if you remember me!

Oh hey, Raining! Long time, no type.

Other than incredibly jaded with the modern world, how've you been? :)

Hello Xenarian, I remember you. I don't think we talked much. Nice to have you back. :)

I don't think I've seen you post before this, but welcome back nonetheless.

Forum > Introductions > I'm back; Is this a Brave New World?