ForumRelationships and Stuff ► When a game gets between your sweetheart and you....
My girlfriend and I have been going steady for more than six years now. Since she quit her job last August, she started playing The Elder Scrolls Online, an MMORPG, daily. In the last few weeks, she's got so entrenched in the game that she won't leave her computer for hours at a time, often stopping only to sleep.

I can't get her out of the house, even with the promise of a nice meal; the only reason she gives me for not wanting to go out is "because I don't want to". She doesn't ask me for things, she demands them; I can't remember the last time I heard her say "please". When I ask for something, she just looks at me and does nothing or does something contrary. The only "conversations" we have are concerning the game: skills, builds, armor sets, et cetera; the conversation is very one-sided; sure, I play the game, but nowhere nearly as much as she does. We haven't been intimate in months; lately, she won't even let me touch her.

I'm at the end of my rope. What can I do?

I ended up calling her out; I'm tired of feeling like a doormat.

I told her I think she spends too much time playing the game, that l felt neglected and ignored, and that I wasn't mad at her, but just disappointed with her actions.

She said nothing.

She's clearly not interested in maintaining your relationship. Find someone else to be with.

There may also be an underlying emotional/psychological issue. That sounds concerningly obsessive. You might recommend therapy, though.... well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

The ball's really in her court: if she now know's it's a problem it's up to her to fix it or lose you really. You can't baby an adult and stay healthy and on top of your own life, and she can't seriously expect you to take on all of her responsibilities, especially since by the sounds of it you're both grown adults.

I get it, I let a game -- also a TES game -- come between me and active parenting/being a contributive partner for far too long (any time is far too long, a couple weeks in my case) before I realised how shitty and unfair I was being a wee while back.

Forum > Relationships and Stuff > When a game gets between your sweetheart and you....