ForumRelationships and Stuff ► What does it feel like to be in love?
What is that feeling? I'm trying to figure out if it's a feeling I'm feeling.

update 5/22/22:

For me, it's feeling warm and comfortable and perfectly safe and happy when I'm with someone. It's wanting to know everything about them and embracing all of it. It's when I look at their face and can't help but think about how beautiful they are.

Okay yeah nope nevermind

my list of requirements is like ten times longer than that

what is your list of requirements?

you just know

Okay yeah nope nevermind

To be fair it feels different for everyone and can be different in different relationships too.

Its like a rush of blood.

Phoenix, I might call the doctor for that if I were you

Love is a commitment, a choice. Choosing to share your life with people and to make them a priority.

Infatuation feels like champagne giddy and lite and bubbly. It's the butterflies and the way your breath catches when they look at you. It's like being excited and curious and nervous. Their touch is exciting. Their kiss intoxicating.

Yup. The later is much preferred.

I just view that first one as "commitment."

I had a conversation with a friend of mine when I was trying to figure out if I was in love. Basically:
"There's this girl, and she's cute, and funny, and talented, and smart, and I really enjoy spending time with her."
"Uh-huh."
"But all my friends are cute and funny and talented and smart, and I really enjoy spending time with all of them! So how do I know if this one is 'love'?"
"Well, what makes you think she might be different?"
"Whenever I think about her I feel like I'm screaming inside-"
"Yeah, that sounds like you're in love."
I've been with that girl for four years now, we're well out of the crush phase, and it doesn't feel like screaming anymore, but it does feel like...
When I see something funny, she's the first one I want to laugh with. When my cat's being cute, she's the first one I want to send a photo. When I'm cooking food, she's the first one I want to eat it with. When she's sad, I want to be there for her. When I'm sad, I know she'll be there for me. When I talk to her, I'm always interested in what she's saying- her day at work, her annoying roommates, the stories she's writing, the laundry she needs to do... Oh, and she's still super cute, talented, funny, and smart, and I love spending time with her.

The first comes after the butterflies and is a deeper connection. It's holding the hand of your wife while she gets chemo and being there when she cant go hiking or even eat a piece of anymore. Its months on end of her sobbing and weak and all her hair falling out. There are not butterflies, no bubblies, just hardship and grit and that's life. love is the choice to be there because she is worth your time and devotion even when it's not easy.

first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage.

The first comes after the butterflies and is a deeper connection. It's holding the hand of your wife while she gets chemo and being there when she cant go hiking or even eat a piece of anymore. Its months on end of her sobbing and weak and all her hair falling out. There are not butterflies, no bubblies, just hardship and grit and that's life. love is the choice to be there because she is worth your time and devotion even when it's not easy.

Yeah. I'm good w/o all that.

Forum > Relationships and Stuff > What does it feel like to be in love?