ForumMusic/Movies/TV/Books ► Anime!
I have been having a lot of trouble here recently. Do you remember what it was like when you first started watching anime? For me, I was full of awe and wonder, and couldn't get enough. Staying up late, being really excited about new seasons, these feelings I vividly remember. Now that I have been watching anime for a while, I have lost the feeling of awe. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy anime, but it doesn't feel the same anymore. Anyone else feel that way?

Oh yea, definitely. It's more that like, you get used to what happens in most anime, so you start being able to weed out the bad ones for what they are. Personally, I just found the genre/trope i most liked about a series and started seeking out anime that i'd like related to it. Just ask yourself, what do you like most about an anime? Do you like the harem elements and how they all interact? Do you like the magic and swordfighting? Are you into psychological horror or mysterious, gritty type stuff? (In my case), do you just like stories of heroes who are thrown into alternate realities and forced to use their past knowledge?

If something wasn't long enough already, i'd look for the manga. it's come in pretty handy. There's a good one this season called death march to the parallel world rhapsody (makes more sense in japanese i swear) and i just went to the manga after the first two episodes to see more. Also led me to things that are going to have anime soon, like the rising of the shield hero.
In any case, just find something that speaks to you and look for things similar. If you need suggestions, just post here, I've seen stuff from a lot of different areas.

Finished Swordgai, was ight. Typical ending. MC's sister is so annoying lmao. "GAI GAI GAI" yeah we get it, you're the sideline motivation or some shit just stop. The premise is super cool tho, cursed weapons are my jam. The semi-3D parts look clunky tho I hope they scrap that for S2.

Ancient Magus Bride was great. One small gripe is the MC's thought train is weird in some spots. Like, she's oddly accepting of things that maybe needed a bit more pondering over. One big gripe is they left me like 1000000 questions at the end. You introduce all these cool chars and don't tell me shit about them. Hopefully there's another season.

According to the internet, Aggretsuko (Aggressive Retsuko) is an anime.

I really like it. The shorts are funny, and from YT reviews the Netflix series is good too.

Watch Kamen Rider. Which is not anime but still from Japan. There are many titles in the series, but if I had to pick a few to recommend, it would be Kamen Rider W, Kamen Rider OOO and Kamen Rider Blade

I’m watching the anime adaptation of Natsume’s Book of Friends. I never thought an anime could make me cry.

Oh, I really enjoyed that one! I may have to watch it again at some point. It reminded me a bit of Mushishi.

Same here. I think it’s the religious elements and the fact that it’s more or less a drama that reminded me of mushishi. That episode with Shigure - the boy god who became a demon - that episode actually made me cry, man. I’m in love with this show. There are so many episodes too. I might have to start buying the manga.

Hey, I just joined this thread, but I have some great anime recommendations if anyone needs them!

Dibs on your soul

Hey, I just joined this thread, but I have some great anime recommendations if anyone needs them!
For sure

Oh bruh, I forgot I followed this thread.

Everyone should check out The Time I Reincarnated as a Slime. It's fantastic. Read the manga if you can as well.

And Season 5 of JoJo is airing! Finally!

So I am late to most things anime, but I just watched a few different seasons/series and thoughts are below

1. Lost Song - Netflix (finished...?)
I enjoyed it for what it was. The time mechanic was interesting but confused the shit out of me for a minute. I thought it was cute and I love the faces. Sa cute.

2. Forest of Piano - Netflix (not finished)
This was so adorable but I am a sucker for anything piano-related. The characters kinda lack depth but it's awesome for relaxing to.

3. Your Lie in April - Netflix (finished)
CRIED LIKE A BABY, adored the music, adored the characters.

4. Yu Yu Hakusho (I know, go away, I am late) - Hulu (finished)
I don't know why I took so long to watch this. I fell instantly in love with the story, characters, and that music?!?!?! Holy shit, best themes ever. Wasn't a HUUUGE fan of the last few seasons of it because it seemed like they just wanted to stretch (see also: Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail)... but the ending? Classic.

5. FLCL (go away, I know I suck at this) - VRV (finished for now)
So fucking weird. Characters were weird. I love the ending. Love the lack of explanation of plot.

6. Children of the Whales - Netflix (not finished)
Fell in love with the fuckery. The plot had holes, the characters were kinda whiny, but the fuckery was top notch.

I'm honestly a huge fan of like everything netflix has done so far. I mean sure, not all of it can be gold, but they're trying and honestly they've brought life to a huge section of the anime industry (now if the separate streaming sites could stop holding onto licenses trying to get us to subscribe to each one instead of actually showing which ones we approve of, i could stop pirating it).
But back to the point, i do pay for netflix and i'm very proud of a lot of stuff they've done, seven deadly sins brought huge press to the manga and it's pretty well made, knights of sidonia was a NETFLIX ORIGINAL and it was fuckin GREAT (im kinda sad they didn't continue it tho), same with Little Witch Academia (that one they did keep going with and i'm so glad), and then they got the licenses (although again, i'm mad that it's an exclusionary license, meaning no other streaming site can get it) for suisei no gargantia, one punch man, berserk, naruto (p sure that's not exclusionary), tiger& bunny, madoka magica, and some pretty good others.

Crunchyroll is legal and has a lot of anime, but it shows at least 23821 ads per episode, so that kinda sucks. I use it to watch Food Wars, Mushi-Shi, Noragami, and Cells At Work. Their subtitles for Food Wars are different than the subs the DVD set uses, not in meaning but some things are translated using slightly different words (eg. Autumn Election vs Fall Selection), which aggravates me a bit.

azerty said:
Crunchyroll is legal and has a lot of anime, but it shows at least 23821 ads per episode, so that kinda sucks. I use it to watch Food Wars, Mushi-Shi, Noragami, and Cells At Work. Their subtitles for Food Wars are different than the subs the DVD set uses, not in meaning but some things are translated using slightly different words (eg. Autumn Election vs Fall Selection), which aggravates me a bit.

If you're using Chrome, get uBlock Origin! It's an adblocker that will block (skip) crunchyroll and youtube ads. It's wonderful. Shameless shilling. Please note that uBlock and uBlock Origin are two separate things - the one you want is uBlock Origin.

Unfortunately, I use the phone app. If you want to pay for Premium, you can skip ads, but it’s like $6 per month or something and I don’t care enough to spend that much. I’m fine being able to recite Calorie Countdown advertisements if it means I can watch my anime.

Darn, welp, can't say I didn't try.

It’s ok. By the way, I think Crunchyroll has One Punch Man (at least as of early spring 2018), so you might not have to get a Netflix to see it.

It's also on Hulu.

Chia anime TV has a lot of series, and I see no ads (but I do run blockers).

Parasyte is good but kinda gross and very intense. The sound effects are super funny when contrasted with the super serious situations they’re in.

I’m watching the anime adaptation of Natsume’s Book of Friends. I never thought an anime could make me cry.

I've been watching an episode every few days or so of this, and man, I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

how have I not found this thread yet

No idea, but it seems you just did.