ForumMusic/Movies/TV/Books ► Good horror book recommendations?
Hi,

can anyone recommend a good horror piece? I have been trying to find something that is original but not too gory - or at least with the gore reasonable and not bloodbath just for the sake of it.
I didn't like Nick Cutter's "The Troop" - sorry. The characters were obnoxious and unlikable. But some of the titles I liked include: Alma Katsu "The Hunger" or Mak Z. Danielewski's "The House of Leaves".

SEO audit tool

Given that link at the end, I'm guessing you might just be a spam account... But on the off chance you're not, hi, hello! Lemme get you some options here!

• A Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs

Hands down one of the most beautifully written horror novels I've read. This is a collection of two novellas, both haunting in their own ways. They are two very different stories, yet they complement one another perfectly. The expectations set up in the first novella are subverted and twisted in unexpected ways, almost a sucker punch to the reader. The first is set in South America, and the second is steeped in Americana. I cannot recommend this book enough.

• The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling

Have you ever had a nightmare of being trapped underground, unable to escape? How about wandering through a dangerous, roiling maze? What if you suspected you weren't alone?

The Luminous Dead is an incredible sci-fi horror debut. Motivated by a desire to follow after the mother who abandoned her, Gyre Price lies about her experience in order to land a lucrative cave-diving gig. Gyre anticipates a topside team that matches the quality of the gear and paycheck she’s to be given…. only to find that her crew is a single woman, known only as Em. Em has no compunctions about manipulating what Gyre sees, hears, and feels in the cave through control of her diving suit. As claustrophobia and panic settle in, Gyre finds that she can trust no one – including herself.

And if neither of those two strike your fancy, here's a little list I've put together! These are largely a combination of sci-fi/fantasy alongside horror as opposed to pure horror.

• Black Light by Elizabeth Hand
  • Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand
  • Yellow Jessamine by Caitlin Starling
  • Houses Under the Sea by Caitlin R Kiernan
  • The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
  • Grimscribe (short stories) by Thomas Ligotti
  • Walking to Aldebaran by Adrian Tchaikovsky
  • Pact by Wildbow
  • Twig by Wildbow
  • Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer (unsettling)
  • City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer
  • The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett
  • Bird Box by Josh Malerman
  • Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Forum > Music/Movies/TV/Books > Good horror book recommendations?