ForumMusic/Movies/TV/Books ► Everything about Musicals
The movie adaptation of Into the Woods wasn't bad, but I feel like they really left out a lot of the humor and heart that went into the original version. I also think that some of the things in the original would be weird if you saw the movie first, like Jack being a young adult instead of a kid.

Seriously, though, why has no one mentioned Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog yet?

DHSAB is fantastic! I tried for quite a while to do a stage version of it with some friends but never got it off the ground.

I'm currently a little obsessed with The Last Five Years. I watched it mostly on a whim a couple of weeks ago because it was on Netflix, and my instinct says that its not a particularly great show, but the other night I had a sudden urge to rewatch it, and I've been listening to the soundtrack almost continuously for the past 24 hours while pulling an all-nighter.

I have more experience playing in pit orchestras than acting/singing or viewing from the audience. I have to say I really like Little Women and Thoroughly Modern Millie.

I've heard very good things about Book of Mormon, Wicked, and Newsies though. I'd like to eventually see them.

I'm currently playing the updated version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, which is pretty hip.

Thoughts on Sweeney Todd?

No one's seen Chess, and that makes me sad. Similarly, has anyone here seen Galavant?

I hate musicals but love galavant

I'm a sucker for anything Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg and anything historical so I am just in love with The Pirate Queen. It didn't get as much love from critics as Les Mis but its got a fantastic story and some bomb ass songs. I also love Ragtime since it covers my favorite era of history and the soundtrack is just A++

Currently playing: The Music Man

This relates to video games and musicals, but recently a Portal 2 Musical was released. Not too bad, in my opinion.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WTF HAMILTON LEMME KNOW

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking what it is?

Where To Find maybe?

Currently playing: Seussical

Currently playing: Fiddler on the Roof (finally!)

Meowmix6 said:
Fiddler on the Roof is the only musical I could say with absolute certainty that I love.

Coming up this week: The Pajama Game

Currently playing: Crazy for You

Finally, a thread perfect for my tastes.
One of my favorite musicals is Dear Evan Hansen. I'm actually going to be doing a recording session with a couple of those songs, so I'm pretty excited.

Let's see, since I last posted I've played:

Honeymoon in Vegas (subbing for rehearsal only)
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Curtains
Pippin
City of Angels
In the Heights (subbing for one show only)

Currently playing: Pippin (again!)

Does Hamilton count as a musical?

I don't think anyone could realistically argue that Hamilton isn't a musical. It's on Broadway.

Since I last posted I've played:

Matilda
The 1940's Radio Hour

Currently playing:

Spamalot

My favorite musical is probably one of these:
  • Into the Woods
  • Newsies
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Jesus Christ Superstar
  • (I like lots of music genres; just some good old "regular" theatre like into the woods, pop operas, classical singing, and more shouting than singing- yes, Newsies)
I'm trying to get into new musicals. Ideas?

Gotta watch those bootlegs of Dear Evan Hansen and Come From Away...

Haha! I actually have watched a Dear Evan Hansen bootleg and it was very good. I have not watched come from away though.

Forum > Music/Movies/TV/Books > Everything about Musicals