ForumMusic/Movies/TV/Books ► Anime!
Wait, chotano’s new to the thread? I thought they were here the whole time just quietly lmao

Nope, I'm completely fresh.

Time to become corrupted

Currently rewatching Hyouka. I really enjoy this anime. It's just super cozy and relaxing. One of the few that I can rewatch several times.

Do any of y'all watch anime with Japanese subtitles or is that just me?

Also I've been meaning to watch Nodame Cantabile but I keep forgetting.

No I don't speak Japanese, and I don't have any plans to learn Japanese, so I watch with English subtitles.

No I don't speak Japanese, and I don't have any plans to learn Japanese, so I watch with English subtitles.

If that's the case, why wouldn't you use dubs?

Dubs aren't always available, and pretty much never available in my native language anyway. But it's mostly just because I like the sound of Japanese, it's what I'm used to when I watch anime, it just feels more natural. I feel more aware of the acting part of voice acting when it's in English.

It's a pretty well-established opinion among many anime watchers that subbed is preferable to dubbed. Asking if anyone watches anime with Japanese subtitles is essentially just asking if they know Japanese.

Yes, but I also think watching anime dubbed is completely fair. I think watching anime with Japanese subtitles could be a great extension if you're learning Japanese, or maybe if you're trying to test your knowledge, or, as you said, if you already know Japanese.

On to actual anime though, I recently rewatched Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, which was pretty fun. I decided to rewatch it because I'm currently reading the manga. I remember the ending to the anime made me angrier than probably any other anime I've seen, and I wanted to read the manga to see if it was an anime only ending, or if it maybe was handled better in the manga. Rewatching it I really did enjoy the show. It's pretty silly, and the drama can be very cheesy at times, but I did have fun watching it, and since I knew how it ended, I wasn't as riled up about it this time, but I did actually feel more emotional than I thought leading up to it. If anyone wants to watch it, I have to put it out there though that you must prepare yourself for disappointment in the end, because, wow, what a tease that show is.

I tried watching Castle Cagliostro with Japanese subtitles. It’s the only one with them on Netflix that I could find. I usually watch in Japanese with English subtitles, mostly because I like the sound of Japanese. However, if you prefer not to read all the time or want t multitask while watching it, feel free to use dubs. I do sometimes (rarely tho).

@Next I didn't say it wasn't an option. But chotano made it sound like watching English subbed anime was something out of the norm. It was more directed at them than you.

As for anime, Goblin Slayer had its last episode this season air either today or yesterday so I'm going to finish that up. The Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is still amazing. The fight scene in the latest episode is how the fight scene at the end of Overlord SHOULD have been animated. It seems like this studio is really putting in effort on this one. JoJo also continues to fascinate. I've been a huge fan of the series since I started it and it never disappoints.

Yeah, I agree with you, I mostly just wanted to add on to what you were saying.

I've been meaning to watch Goblin Slayer, but I can't decide if I want to read the manga first, since I did technically start that a while back. The slime anime has been really great though, I haven't been keeping up but I've absolutely loved it for the 8 or so episodes that I've watched. Bunny girl senpai is another anime that I've been watching this season I also need to catch up on, that one might be my anime of the season. I really love it, it kinda reminds me of Monogatari in a way.

JoJo's is something I really need to start watching. I've been putting it of for so long, but I've been meaning to get into it for some time now. Maybe I'll watch that this week since I have limited internet for the time being.

When I watched JoJo, I started at the very beginning but Crunchyroll has an abreviated version of the first few seasons of JoJo. I watched those and didn't feel like I missed anything important so, if it feels daunting to start, you might try those. By the time I finished that, I wanted more anyway.

Bunny Girl Senpai is also one that I wanna start. I've heard only good things about it. As for Goblin Slayer, if you've started the manga, no reason you can't watch and read at the same time. That's what I did with Overlord and with Slime.

Yeah, but I have the first 2 seasons of JoJo on my anime drive already, so I might as well watch them.
It's very true that I could read and watch them at the same time, but when I start on of the things, I usually just marathon whatever I'm doing, so I'll usually be stuck doing that until I'm done. But I'll probably read Goblin Slayer first I think, since I technically did start reading it.

I'm not sure what happened re: anime and myself. I used to be really into it, but the past few years all that I've really been able to get into is Neo Yokio (can't wait to watch Pink Christmas). Although I enjoyed the first couple episodes of Zombie Land Saga, which apparently has a canon trans character in it!

Dubbed is nice because you don't have to be 100% paying attention to the screen the whole time in order to capture all the dialogue. It's nice to be able to look at something else for a second and just hear what the characters are saying. It's convenient.

I prefer dubbed unless the dub is really bad - for example, I found dubbed Haibane Renmei completely unwatchable due to the poor dub, and instead chose to watch the subbed version because of that.

I used to watch dubbed, until I started trying to learn Japanese. After that, I used dual subtitles (JP/EN) so I could still tell what they were saying but also (hopefully) learn some new vocabulary.

I'm not sure what happened re: anime and myself. I used to be really into it, but the past few years all that I've really been able to get into is Neo Yokio (can't wait to watch Pink Christmas). Although I enjoyed the first couple episodes of Zombie Land Saga, which apparently has a canon trans character in it!

I get this, these past couple of years I haven't watched nearly as much as I used to. But I occasionally just decide that I'm gonna watch something, and when I do I really get into it. Also Zombieland Saga is pretty great. Yet another show I need to catch up on.

Update: Pink Christmas was so good, if you like Neo Yokio go watch it immediately.

I rewatched Redline today. What a movie that is, really amazing, and it's almost even more amazing that I can feel that way when the story is absolute garbage. It's 100% carried by it's visuals, but man are those visuals good. If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend you do if you have any interest in good animation. Those 7 years of development and over 100 000 hand-made drawings weren't for nothing.

I may or may not have convinced my bio teacher to show us cells at work in class. don't ask.

Hmm, the only reason I really want to finish Cells at Work is because Kana Hanazawa. While I didn't think the show was bad otherwise, it really didn't interest me as much after I finished reading Cells at Work Black.

I've been wondering, how does Cells At Work portray biology? Is it accurate?

While it was airing, a med student would post weekly comparisons between Cells at Work and real life on r/anime. According to the ones I read (about 6 of them) its pretty darn accurate. Not perfect, of course, but accurate enough to demonstrate that the source material did their homework.

Lol I wish I would have seen it when I took Biology last year, I did poorly in that class