ForumMusic/Movies/TV/Books ► What're you reading?
I'm kinda proud of myself. I went from the kind of person who "likes reading" but only sporadically picked up nonfiction to starting and sticking to a lot of (mostly Penguin Classics) books I really ought to have read.

I got through Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, The Prince, Perfume, (most of) Metamorphosis and Other Stories, and quite a few H.P. Lovecraft stories, and I have a reading list that'll last me at least another few months at least.

Anyone who has any interest whatsoever in Lovecraftian cosmic horror should really, really read A Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs. It just published today, and it's fucking phenomenal. It's a two novella duology, the first being set in Latin America and the second in the United States. The prose is incredible, and the storytelling utterly masterful. Full length review here. I'd copy it in to my post, but it's looooong.

Right now I'm reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman, since the TV show is currently between seasons. I'm midway through and surprised by the differences - or maybe just the pace.

Really? How are the books? Had you read them before watching the series? I watched a bit of the series recently and found the pacing to be very indicative of the show being an adaptation of books. Also, the show gets weirdly sexual very fast. Is that true of the books as well?

Ever since I saw that first season of the show I've been wondering how the books are. I haven't been short on books though, so I haven't gotten around to giving them a go.

Hmm. Trying to recall the first season re sexuality. I'm not sure if they're on par (I just don't remember), but the book does still contain quite a bit of sexual components. I'm finding the pacing of the book much slower. I've never read the books before and I'm only about halfway done the first, so that may change.

I liked the books quite a bit back when I originally read them, but in retrospect they had a lot of elements that... Really didn't work for me. Most of the sexual components, in particular, seemed to be a little tone deaf at times. I've been thinking about giving the show a try, though.

I'm currently rereading Los Nefilim by T Frohock, which is one of my favorites. It's a three novella collection, technically, but it reads more like a single novel. I wanted to read them again before I read her first full length novel, Where Oblivion Lives, even though it can be read as stand alone with no issue. I also have an ARC of the sequel, Carved from Stone and Dream, which I'm really excited for :) T is criminally undermarketed, given how wonderful the books are.

I highly recommend the show. Still a bit overly sexual and romantic (I dislike romance in media in general), but otherwise excellent.

I'm reading Pandora's Lab. Seven chapters each explaining a different good scientific idea or discovery that, when developed upon, opened up a whole host of evils to the world.

Best American Essays of the Century. it's pretty good, since i'm a literature and history nerd

Just finished up Queen of the Conquered by Kacen Callender. It's excellent if Caribbean-inspired political fantasy with a heavy emphasis on discussing slavery and colonialism seems up your alley. Long form review here. I loved how it subverted the "white savior" trope and really dug in to the meat of how slavery can permeate a culture. Kacen is also a black trans man, if you're interested in reading someone other than the typical white male authors who tend to get pushed to the forefront. He's a great writer, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what else he contributes to the genre moving forward.

Currently reading Where Oblivion Lives by T Frohock. T is one of my favorite authors; she's just great. I adore the way she describes music and her use of music as magic - it's especially interesting given that she herself has been deaf since she was around twelve. It's such a creative take on Christian lore without being a "Christian" book.

I'm also about a quarter through The Pursuit of William Abbey by Claire North. I've adored North ever since reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August; although I think I like Harry August a bit better, William Abbey is also turning out to be great. Her prose is so completely interconnected from sentence to sentence and paragraph to paragraph. It's some damn good stuff.

I need to dig in to Among Others by Jo Walton as well... my book club meets to discuss it Tuesday but I haven't even started it yet D: I've been meaning to read Jo Walton for quite a long time. I'm told her prose is lovely with strong slice-of-life elements. I'm looking forward to it for sure.

Last night I visited Charis Books (the South's oldest independent feminist bookstore) and got a copy of Little Blue Encyclopedia (for Vivian). It's real intense and I'm already excited for all the crying I'm gonna get to do.

I just read Candide by Voltaire. Huge fan.

I'm currently in the middle of The Shadow Saint by Gareth Hanrahan (sequel to The Gutter Prayer). It's really good and has fixed all the issues I had with The Gutter Prayer - the characters are SO much more engaging this go around!

I'm swapping between it and Archivist Wasp, a weird and good post-apocalyptic YA novel about a ghost hunter who is the acolyte of a violent cult, essentially. It's fast paced and a nice counterpoint to the politicking in The Shadow Saint.

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace

After toiling with the first two Discworld novels, I'm finally hooked into the series with Guards! Guards!

Yeah, there's a reason most people don't recommend publication order for discworld - the earliest novels are a bit rough :)

This year I've got a reading goal of 20 books (a far cry from the 50 book goals I used to make) after barely reading anything last year. Once I get back to work top of my list to buy is Kushiel' Dart finally. If I write it out I might hold myself to this?

In the meantime I'll try to finish some trash on my e-reader if I don't get too bored of it.

Forum > Music/Movies/TV/Books > What're you reading?