ForumMusic/Movies/TV/Books ► What're you reading?
Yes. Mostly Harmless was excellent. Stavromula Beta should be enough to remind you of the ending, provided you remember how that is relevant.

Spoiler text below. Highlight to read.
The name was a misheard version of Stavro Mueller, Beta. As in the club where Arthur meets the incarnation of the insect creature who was out for revenge. When he discovers that he has walked right into the situation he had been trying to avoid, a Vogon ship blows the earth out of the sky for a second time. The end.

Apperantly Eoin Colfer (author of Artemis Fowl) wrote a 6th book. Seems to be dragging it out a bit...

Oh gosh. The Guide is so good. Are you reading just he first one or the Ultimate Guide? I really loved having all of them in one place. So good.

I just read the first one. It was good. There were some moments that made me lol for real, which books don't often do. The part where God is like "that's a good point" and vanishes in a puff of logic was my favorite.

I really encourage you to read the rest of the stuff in the Ultimate Guide. It gets wild.

I am currently reading The Familiar Volume 2: Into the Forest. The series is great so far, and the building mystery is intriguing.

I'm never really in the middle of a book because I tend to read them in one sitting, so this is the list of what I've read this year so far.

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney
The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch
The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

I'm currently avoiding reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles, and Swann's Way by Proust even though they are both sitting next to my bed.

I need to get back into the book I'm working on. It's a really interesting telling of WWI, but I haven't picked it up in a while for whatever reason.

Currently reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Dostoevsky should be required literature for high school.

Is there a particular reason why you think it would be well suited to being required reading?

And I think I’m going to give up on Rules of Civility as it is cringy trash so far. I’ll probably give up on the Proust as well because I just can’t be motivated to care at the moment.

Just finished up "Silently and Very Fast" by Catherynne Valente, who is rapidly becoming... Not, perhaps, among my favorite authors, but one of the authors I'm most interested in?

"Silently and Very Fast" is a short novel following an AI who is wholly integrated into the psyche of its human partner. The take on AI is different and unique compared to most I have seen; there's no pretense at being a normal human, but there's an exploration of childlike curiosity and desperate desire to be accepted. There's mimicry of humans, but without trying to become human; just to learn what being a person means. The AI, named Elefsis, has been passed down through the family through several generations. All on all, it's probably the surreal and ethereal exploration of AI I've seen in fiction, with a heavy emphasis on symbology and parable.

I finished reading Eternal by Israel Barbuzano (a while back). It’s a fantasy novel about a extremely unique afterlife and has a nice, subtle sense of humor. Definitely worth a look if you like this type of book. You can read a sneak peak of it here.

I'm reading The Outsider by Stephen King bc I couldn't get into the second book of the Bill Hodges trilogy.

Just re-read "Twilight of Briareus" by Richard Cowper. Very 70s, but otherwise a good fabulation.

I'm reading the Unwanteds series by Lisa McMann. My cousin told me to read it, and it's pretty good.

The Jacky Faber series by LA Meyer. Pretty good. I am about to start the third book.

The 'Theoretical Minimum' series by Leonard Susskind. Pretty good read if you're interested in Classical Physics, Quantum Mechanics, or Special Relativity / Classical Field Theory. 3 Books in total, one topic per book.

I just finished reading "Wonder"...holy crap.

.... the endings to the last two books were spoiled in The Outsider ....
I only have myself to blame.... I should have powered through the second book...

Just finished the first three books of twilight. Why does everyone hate it? It's pretty good.

I'd say it's a case of the Nickelbacks. It's not the Worst Thing Ever™, but it got insanely popular, too popular for its mediocrity, so people go really far in the other direction and say it's terrible.
It's not bad if you buy into the whole thing, but I would say the way the characters are written is pretty troubling when you take a step back and look at them. This is a very unhealthy relationship being portrayed as 'true love'. It's not a good thing if your SO leaving you causes you to lose all hope of life, go into a severely depressive downswing, and then get increasingly reckless to the point of suicide because it helps you hallucinate him better. And it's written like it's something to be embarrassed about, but ultimately a sign of their love that they literally cannot function away from each other less than a year after meeting. What does that say to all of the young girls reading the books and romanticizing the characters?
The main character is pretty bland and I'm every major plot event (up to the last book) just serves as a damsel in distress while everyone else runs around saving her from the threat. It's lazy. The world is kind of interesting, if just for the fact that it does so some traditional 'vampire' things differently, but it never really focuses on the interesting bits.
Basically, it's a meh book with plenty of problematic elements that got crazy popular.

Currently reading Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine.

ohhh that's in my Want to Read list on GoodReads. Are you liking it? I've read Caine's Revivalist series and really enjoyed it but it was pretty intense.

Slightly related, what's some YA fiction people have enjoyed studying or reading at school? or wish you'd studied? (i'm studying to be an english teacher and i've run out of ideas outside the fantasy genre)

I would agree that fantasy is very common. I was more of an SF fan. Most of the books I'm mentioning here are somewhat dated - I can't help much with recent stuff. Goodreads is a useful resource .

Robert Heinlein wrote a whole set of juvenile SF, most of which would be worth looking at. My top picks would probably be Starman Jones and Citizen of the Galaxy. Podkayne of Mars, while not specifically written as a juvenile would probably be good, too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlein_juveniles

Paul Berna is also worth a look. He did both mainstream and SF books with a juvenile cast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Berna

Arthur Ransome wrote a whole series of loosely-connected books, mostly related to sailing.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/72120.Arthur_Ransome

There are some good historicals out there. Rosemary Sutcliffe (e.g The Eagle of the Ninth), Mary Renault (e.g. The Bull from the Sea), Henry Treece (e.g The road to Midgard)

A couple of others I remember liking...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1474196.Children_on_the_Oregon_Trail
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1932372.Avalanche_
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/756607.The_Silver_Sword
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2998.The_Secret_Garden

Currently reading the light novels for Spice and Wolf. Someone gave me every book and the ones that are out in the next series too.

Right now, I'm reading Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series. It's a'ight, though Weeks has a lot of issues writing women, which is annoying. That said, many of the women in the book have some great moments and are good characters, but the language used to describe them is often just really annoying.

Prior to this, I finished up Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. I would highly recommend this book. It's a sci-fi novel that follows a generation starship on the way to colonize a new planet (with mixed success). It focuses on what such a situation does to a group psychologically; what does it mean when a society grows up in a cage? Are we meant to be able to withstand that, either emotionally or biologically? The ship's AI also comes forward as a character and a narrator, which I very much enjoyed.

I'm reading Anger Is A Gift by Mark Oshiro, and I don't hate it. The relationships are so fluffy and cute too.

I recently read Neanderthal Opens The Door To The Universe, and though anyone who doesn't like contemporary would not like this, it made me cry because it was over. It is a little mature, but it's so full of heart and tears.

Forum > Music/Movies/TV/Books > What're you reading?