ForumStatus Update Threads ► HELP ME PLEASE
You are the first person ever to do this. So I am a 10th grader at a very prestigious school and im stuck between two options, because I got a letter in the mail saying that I was invited to a better school which has opened the possibilities for any university i want. However i don't want to leave my friends and at the new school i would be exerting myself 150 percent. Barely able to sleep properly. But on the other hand i got get into the college of my dreams and be prepared for whats to come ahead. Please help. You can add a perspective that i need on this. A unbiased perspective. i would really appreciate it.8)

It's a tough choice. I wish I'd been less self-involved in high school. I would recommend taking the opportunity, the potential for any future you want is well worth a few years of hard work.

Damn I barely knew there schools like that when I was in 10th grade. I went to public school. Honestly, if I was in your position, I think I would stay. You can still get into the college you want if you have good enough grades and extracurricular things. People graduate from my ghetto public high school and go to places like Stanford a lot. Just get scholarships, good grades, and good applications and you'lol get into wherever you want. Also you know, if you're doing anything STEM, it doesn't really matter where you go for undergrad.

There's a problem of going "I'll be happy when ______." I'll be happy when I get into this good school. I'll be happy when I get into the great college I always wanted. I'll be happy when I get my degree. I'll be happy when I get a job, when I get that promotion, etc.

Not saying that you shouldn't work towards your future, but realize that the present has value, too. I guess it's up to you to weigh all the outcomes. I'd take these things into account:
  • How much will this improve your chances of getting into that college you want?
  • How much is getting into that college really worth?
  • How much harder are you going to push yourself at this new school?
  • How badly is it going to affect you, leaving all of your friends behind?

Do points three and four outweigh one and two? What is going to be best for you, long-term? If it'll make you really unhappy but only marginally benefit your future, I'd stay where you are. It sounds to me like you're doing pretty good for yourself regardless, and as antimony pointed out, a lot of the time what college you went to doesn't matter past your first couple of jobs.

I'd flip a coin. If you find yourself sad with the outcome, do the other thing. Sometimes you've already got your mind made up and are just indecisive because you think you should be.

You are the first person ever to do this. So I am a 10th grader at a very prestigious school and im stuck between two options, because I got a letter in the mail saying that I was invited to a better school which has opened the possibilities for any university i want. However i don't want to leave my friends and at the new school i would be exerting myself 150 percent. Barely able to sleep properly. But on the other hand i got get into the college of my dreams and be prepared for whats to come ahead. Please help. You can add a perspective that i need on this. A unbiased perspective. i would really appreciate it.8)

I would take the far away school. Other perspectives from other places broaden your own.

Forum > Status Update Threads > HELP ME PLEASE