ForumThe Sandbox ► zomg_what_is_it?
Have we ruled out the possibility that the pink dot is something someone on the backend can just give to whoever they want, and the reason it has been jumping around is Gray or one of the other insiders has just been giving it to people at random? Maybe they enjoy watching people try to figure out an impossible problem. That's the real reason for the evil laugh, he's trying to let you know you're on a wild goose chase because he feels bad about it.

Not sure how we could rule that out. They could just lie to us. Unless we figure it out, of course.

They flat out told us that wasn't what was happening, and I doubt they would lie about it

I have it now, as of my latest post on gender race

updateBIOS has it now, idk what he said to get it, but he did say the person who had it's name, so that might have something to do with it

updateBIOS

I have a theory and I spelled it wrong

again with the gender race. What is with that thread and triggering this dot?

"wait when did spam19 get the dot?" was the post that did it, it seems.

I feel like there's something in the rule about posting after the person with the dot, or making an edit to a post in a thread where the most recent person has the pink dot is one of the requirements for the dot to happen. This theory needs some evidence though, and right now updateBIOS isn't the last poster in either thread.
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God dang it I got the dot, immediately disproving my previous theory

Nah, Blake said the *mods* didn't give it out randomly, not that someone on the back end wasn't fucking with us. Blake isn't just a 'mod', he's the grand poohbah. Thus, you can have backend access without being a mod. You can just be Blake or know Blake on a very personal level. So he can say a mod isn't doing it randomly without lying, because it's not a mod doing it randomly - it's the creator doing it purposefully - to fuck with us! Thus the lols and evil laughing!

I don’t think Blake or Grayseff or any of the mods are the type of person to pull that. No dots have been like that before, either. There has always been some sort of mysterious pattern, and I fail to see why that fact would change for this case.

(Replying to Mathy)

It didn't have to do with someone name dropping the person with the dot, or at least not directly

It seems pretty clear that the post that fulfills the rules for the dots isn't the receiver of the dot

I name-dropped him before you posted yours, so perhaps the post after the person who names the dot-holder receives the dot.

Further evidence is required to prove it, but that's my current theory.

Mathmaniac125 updateBIOS spam19

Mathmaniac125 Worth testing

Had a buddy respond to gender after those name drops, no dice, so the rule isn't that simple

It almost always has to do with naming the previous holder, but sometimes a post that's just numerical gets it

what if it's letter usage based?

But numbers though.

It can't be, otherwise, the same phrase would get it consistently

I've gotten it by saying "Pink dot" before but it didn't work afterwards

spam19 just got it by saying 879

it'd be hilarious if there was a dot that you just had to ask nicely to get

Can I have the grey dot please?

I don’t think Blake or Grayseff or any of the mods are the type of person to pull that. No dots have been like that before, either. There has always been some sort of mysterious pattern, and I fail to see why that fact would change for this case.

False. Green or yellow was assigned by mods randomly (I don't remember which). This lasted about a day or two when I realized it wasn't as fun or sustainable as creating convoluted rules and so I changed it. Lesson learned.

Can I have the grey dot please?
Sure, you just have to trigger it.

Blake said:

False. Green or yellow was assigned by mods randomly (I don't remember which). This lasted about a day or two when I realized it wasn't as fun or sustainable as creating convoluted rules and so I changed it. Lesson learned.

My bad, I probably just remembered the dots wrong. In any case, this is concrete confirmation that the pink dot has requirements of some sort that we just have to trigger.

Anything else uncovered? Sorry, I’ve been inactive.

Other than the fact you have the dot now, I dunno.

Okay, after somewhat exhaustive testing, I can confirm the "Pink dot." post on page 48 is a reliable trigger. At least, in the specific circumstances of the posts surrounding it.

But this dot IS different from all the others.

Pink is a meta-dot. It appears to apply not to the poster but to the person who made the last post on the entire forum. Hence the non-conformational behavior.

It could be possible it's also the latest post before the trigger post. I.E if person A is on top of the forum stack and person B triggers the dot, person A gets it because it was the top post before B's post. Possibly

But cross-thread interplay seems likely.

I'm going to sleep

Just in case, it's stupidly simple, I'm going to posit my base theory that either the trigger is just "pink dot", "pink", or two successive posts mentioning "pink". Hence why it works in that scenario.

Just to prove that I've got the trigger working, I'm going to transfer pink over to Mrkldrky.

As you can see, Mrkldrky now has the pink dot. The trigger is consistent, but seems to be context-specific

Edit : And now the trigger has stopped working again. I managed to get it to switch between Chotano, Spam, and myself through that post, up until I added this addendum. Perhaps the thread length actively effects the ability to swap?

And now that transfers are consistent, we can work on cracking the trigger

Argh, it's stopped being consistent. Could it be thread post-count or time based?

Forum > The Sandbox > zomg_what_is_it?