ForumTechnical Corner ► laptop water damage
i spilled about a quarter of a cup of water onto the keyboard portion of my laptop. after about 5 seconds i powered it off and unplugged everything. right now i have it inverted with the screen hanging off the edge of a table with the keyboard resting on a blanket. how do i proceed and is it broken now

Where'd ya get it? How old is it?

5 years or so

What brand is it?

acer

So, I would suggest taking it in. If you don't have the money to do so, perhaps taking it apart and looking up some water damage tutorials on similar models. Gl my guy, and F if it's broke.

Samsung23 said:
If you don't have the money to do so, perhaps taking it apart and looking up some water damage tutorials on similar models.

Take it apart after watching a tutorial. What if you break it even further?

I never specified the order in which the steps should be completed. Plus most consumer electronics can be easily taken apart with an Ifixit kit. I say most because of apple.

What's with Apple?

Proprietary parts and pieces
No official guides
Open it and loose the warranty
etc.

Just very tough business practices

Oh.

Yeah
It's why I like Samsung

I can tell.

But I still prefer Apple because I'm attached to it and I'm used to it. For computers, I never use Microsoft and whatever it has made for me to use and I use Google's stuff instead.

Apple Maps is better than Google Maps sometimes and then sometimes it's the other way around. And then sometimes both applications fuck themselves up force the driver into a huge loop when there was actually a better way that had no traffic.

True. It's quite hard to break out of the Apple ecosystem. Intentionally of course.

W_Licky said:
I can tell.

But I still prefer Apple because I'm attached to it and I'm used to it. For computers, I never use Microsoft and whatever it has made for me to use and I use Google's stuff instead.

Apple Maps is better than Google Maps sometimes and then sometimes it's the other way around. And then sometimes both applications fuck themselves up force the driver into a huge loop when there was actually a better way that had no traffic.

whoa licky i didn’t know you cursed

Same.

hey i'm a little late but leave it off and away from its charger for at least 48 hours

afterwards you can very carefully see if it works again, water should have evaporated by then

fortunately water doesn't leave a whole lot of residue, but if it wasn't distilled or deionized i would take some extra precautions

okay some corruption happening but that's nothing a little sfc scan can't fix probably

it's still functional!

Nice mate!
Just remember if you're gonna do anything, grab an external hard drive as to not corrupt the data any further

whoa licky i didn’t know you cursed

I am NOT.

He meant swear.

Ooooohhhhhh….

Seriously he hasn’t seen me do it before?

Neither have I

I think I have once before.

I guess I’m better at not cursing because I don’t swear irl.

Forum > Technical Corner > laptop water damage