ForumTechnical Corner ► Linux
I'm surprised this isn't already a thing. There was an old Ubuntu thread but that's all I could find.

Let's get this thread started. I want somewhere to talk about Linux, even if I'm just shouting into a void and nobody is listening.

Today I've begun the Linux From Scratch (LFS) textbook, which walks you through creating a custom Linux system from the ground up. I'm very excited! I'm going to learn a lot about how Linux works internally by working with it first-hand. Fun stuff.

I'm also here to answer questions and whatnot. I just want people to discuss this stuff with.

if chromeos is linux based why isnt it able to run linux apps

It can now.

It has been heavily modified. ChromeOS cannot easily run a lot of Linux apps because it is too different from what it originated from. It's similar to how the different Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Arch, Debian, ect.) often have to run different commands to do the same thing. They are all based on Linux but so modified in different ways that they aren't compatible.

Linux environment for Windows made Ubuntu redundant for me. Permissions are a pernicious problem, but it removed the only advantage Linux had for me.

I use Linux cause it's fun not because it's useful.

My chromebook doesnt support linux since its from 2015 apperently

I use Linux cause it's fun not because it's useful.

Rm ~/Forum/Technical_Corner/Linux/thispost

if it's fun enough i might consider making the switch

You can have both Windows and Linux. People make it more absolute than it really is.

how?

It's called dual booting. You can have both installed on the same system and on boot choose which one.

You need to partition a portion of the drive in order to do so

Or you can run a VM like VirtualBox

i tried using a vm once and i couldn't get it to boot up

how do you do the first one

also if you must ask i did it to try to use multiple accounts to join one among us lobby

edit: i accomplished the same thing by just opening among us on multiple desktops

you must have misconfigured it then

it just showed a screen with like 3 colors on it

What OS were you trying to run?

i think it was windows 10

Most user friendly distros will do the partitioning for you. Or you can be like me and have a completely separate hard drive for each OS.

i think it was windows 10

Did you have Windows 10 on a disk or as an .iso file?

Or you could use a Windows 10 usb installer

if it's fun enough i might consider making the switch

Linux is fun in the same way that an accounting firm is fun.

It's not.

The deal with Linux is that you trade ease of use and convenience in exchange for absolute power over the system and total control. And for 90% of people, convenience is more important than control.

Only use Linux if you plan on developing. It lacks many amenities that other OSes have.

Linux is a pain in the ass roughly 60% of the time, and I say this as a CS major. 30% of the time, it's just as good as windows, and the last 10% is the only time it's preferable.

Okay but what about macOS

Mac is to Windows as Windows is to Linux. Much easier to use, much harder to control. It's fine for most people and use cases

I used to use Mint for a minute on my old laptop, but now I have enough RAM downloaded.

Kylljoy said:
Linux is fun in the same way that an accounting firm is fun.

It's not.

Wow you’re really just going for the throat.

I like it cause when I use the terminal it makes me feel like a hacker